Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Osborne[_2_] Dave Osborne[_2_] is offline

Default Sealing holes through walls for wires

george [dicegeorge] wrote:
On 14/09/10 16:34, Dave Osborne wrote:
george [dicegeorge] wrote:
I'm knocking holes through walls to put wires through,
mains electric and ethernet.
I've been concreting in offcuts of round plastic drainpipe.
How would I seal these against smoke and fire?
Is there a better way to do it?
Someone said using metal would cause induction.

[g]

e.g. http://www.screwfix.com/prods/56102/

= No Nonsense Fire Rated Expanding Foam

But will it leach the plastic surrounding the electric wires?

Maybe, but it's a problem easily prevented by wrapping polythene around
any PVC cables before applying the foam, or indeed by oversheathing the
cables with heatshrink.

perhaps put them ins maller conduit then foam around them inside the
plastic drainpipe?

You would still need to seal the smaller conduit against smoke.