Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default garage/workshop conversion: final questions

Hi,

As you know, I have been taking inspiration from previous posts here
and I have:

painted my brick garage with bitumen paint
put celotex against the walls
and finally I am fixing plywood to protect the celotex from knocks and
to give me something to fit shelves to.

One poster said that he had screwed through the plywood into the wall
with long (4 inch?) screws and wall plugs. I was thinking of using
hammer fixings, which are more or less the same thing aren't they: a
big screw in a plastic plug. Do you think these will be strong enough.
I don't want the plywood to fall in once I have loaded my shelves! Is
it worth upgrading to through bolts or something meatier?

When I was pricing the plywood a couple of timber merchants raised
their eyebrows when I said I would screw the shelves into the wood. I
am sure that's what others here have done. Surely they don't need long
screws into the wall as well?

Finally, I've quickly rollered some paint onto all sides and edges of
the plywood to keep any water out. I only did one coat because I was
eager to get on with the job. Do you think that will be sufficient or
should I have given it a second coat to completely seal it?

TIA