Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob bob is offline

Default adhesive removal

we have fitted a pair of french doors,they look great but there are
bits of adhesive on the glass,we have tried thinners,nail polish
remover xylene and it will not budge,any ideas folks?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 06:00:04 -0700 (PDT), bob
wrote:

we have fitted a pair of french doors,they look great but there are
bits of adhesive on the glass,we have tried thinners,nail polish
remover xylene and it will not budge,any ideas folks?

Angle grinder.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9/14/2010 9:00 AM, bob wrote:
we have fitted a pair of french doors,they look great but there are
bits of adhesive on the glass,we have tried thinners,nail polish
remover xylene and it will not budge,any ideas folks?

I used this to clean off the sticky residue left after removing
self-adhesive Velcro -

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/sticky-stuff-liquid-remover/F/C/cleaning-protecting/C/cleaning-protecting-speciality-cleaning/product/8976

A stiff plastic food scraper (or old credit card?) is useful for
scraping off the softened goo.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 14, 2:00*pm, bob wrote:
we have fitted a pair of french doors,they look great but there are
bits of adhesive on the glass,we have tried thinners,nail polish
remover xylene and it will not budge,any ideas folks?

Meths or IPA (not the beer!). I find one or the other removes most
things I come across in a domestic environment.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/2010 14:00, bob wrote:
we have fitted a pair of french doors,they look great but there are
bits of adhesive on the glass,we have tried thinners,nail polish
remover xylene and it will not budge,any ideas folks?

Have you tried a scraper like http://tinyurl.com/35nrosx These use a
trimming knife blade and are excellent
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bob" wrote in message
we have fitted a pair of french doors,they look great but there are
bits of adhesive on the glass,we have tried thinners,nail polish
remover xylene and it will not budge,any ideas folks?

If the glass is flat and you are talking traces of masking tape and where
labels were stuck on the glass, an old fashioned razor blade or a good sharp
1" or so chisel are usually quickest. Most traces will then either wipe off
with an alcohol, or white spirit.

Some very stubborn label adhesives ( the worst I know is dried sunflower oil
as it happens), you can spot treat with Nitromors with a small brush and
wipe off with kitchen paper, taking care not to get any spots on any
paintwork.

If you are talking squidged out silicone you may have to score round the
glass carefully first (with something softer than the glass) so that it
does not pull out from under the glass when you pull it off.

Hardest of all is the bathroom window glass with a sort of stone chip
effect. This is particularly bad to get anything out from all the facets.
I found a handy set of small cranked head wire brushes from Wilko for just a
couple of quid were easiest for this: still hard work though!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, bob
writes
we have fitted a pair of french doors,they look great but there are
bits of adhesive on the glass,we have tried thinners,nail polish
remover xylene and it will not budge,any ideas folks?

Stanley blade

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 14, 2:00*pm, bob wrote:
we have fitted a pair of french doors,they look great but there are
bits of adhesive on the glass,we have tried thinners,nail polish
remover xylene and it will not budge,any ideas folks?

A copper scourer removes pretty much anything from glass and wont
scratch it. Do /not/ use a steel scraper or blade, too often the
result is pemanent scratching.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Scraper

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Tabby writes
On Sep 14, 2:00*pm, bob wrote:
we have fitted a pair of french doors,they look great but there are
bits of adhesive on the glass,we have tried thinners,nail polish
remover xylene and it will not budge,any ideas folks?

A copper scourer removes pretty much anything from glass and wont
scratch it. Do /not/ use a steel scraper or blade, too often the
result is pemanent scratching.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Scraper

It all depends on the angle of dangle

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Sep, 14:00, bob wrote:
we have fitted a pair of french doors,they look great but there are
bits of adhesive on the glass,we have tried thinners,nail polish
remover xylene and it will not budge,any ideas folks?

what's the adhesive? or if you don't know - what was being stuck with
it?

Jim K

Vinyl Tille Adhesive Removal George Barbarow Home Repair 4 March 28th 09 02:43 PM
grab adhesive (removal) Fred UK diy 0 December 20th 07 05:57 PM
Adhesive removal help [email protected] Home Repair 9 October 8th 05 08:26 PM
OT Ford adhesive-removal of Roger Hull Metalworking 9 May 2nd 05 09:15 PM
Removal of tile adhesive Jen UK diy 8 March 1st 05 12:00 PM