Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New electrical appliance with wrongly colour-coded flex

A few months ago SWMBO bought a veg steamer from Sainsbury's (FWIE,
http://tinyurl.com/39avbsz (or
http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/shop/appliances/small_kitchen_appliances/steamers/109135081_be_good_to_yourself_stainless_steel_3_ti er_steamer.html?hnav=4294967205)
and today (for reasons not relevant) I needed to put a new plug on it.
I was intrigued to note (well, I don't get out much) that the earth wire
in the flex was solid, dark green in colour rather than the usually
green/yellow combo that you'd expect. Appliance has the usual CE mark,
but no country of origin that I can see)

Have to say it hasn't caused me any lost sleep (yet), but out of
interest, are Sainsbury's being naughty flogging appliances without the
correctly coloured flex?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Lobster
saying something like:

I was intrigued to note (well, I don't get out much) that the earth wire
in the flex was solid, dark green in colour rather than the usually
green/yellow combo that you'd expect. Appliance has the usual CE mark,
but no country of origin that I can see)

Have to say it hasn't caused me any lost sleep (yet), but out of
interest, are Sainsbury's being naughty flogging appliances without the
correctly coloured flex?

I've seen that a few times.
It's a shrug moment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
:
: A few months ago SWMBO bought a veg steamer from Sainsbury's
(FWIE,
: http://tinyurl.com/39avbsz (or
:
http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/shop/appliances/small_kitchen_appliances/steamers/109135081_be_good_to_yourself_stainless_steel_3_ti er_steamer.html?hnav=4294967205)
: and today (for reasons not relevant) I needed to put a new plug
on it.
: I was intrigued to note (well, I don't get out much) that the
earth wire
: in the flex was solid, dark green in colour rather than the
usually
: green/yellow combo that you'd expect. Appliance has the usual
CE mark,
: but no country of origin that I can see)
:

Doesn't the regs still allow a single green for earth conductors
and are you sure that it's not just a crimp on the end of
multi-strand that is making it look like a solid wire?

: Have to say it hasn't caused me any lost sleep (yet), but out
of
: interest, are Sainsbury's being naughty flogging appliances
without the
: correctly coloured flex?

I suspect that the problem is with ignorant (in the true meaning
if the word) end users meddling were they obviously should not be
than anything to do with the retailer or their suppliers! :~P
--
Regards, Jerry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jerry" wrote in message ...

"Lobster" wrote in message
:
[...]

He said "solid, dark green in colour", I agree the comma was unnecessary but
I suspect, given the context, the meaning was clear to the rest of us.
Viz. Solid colour, not solid vs. stranded conductor.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Jerry"
saying something like:

I suspect that the problem is with ignorant (in the true meaning
if the word) end users meddling were they obviously should not be
than anything to do with the retailer or their suppliers! :~P

I suspect you're spouting ******** - again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in
message ...

snip
:
: I suspect you're spouting ******** - again.

Talking about yourself again Grimly...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doesn't france use solid green for Earth(CPC)?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article
,
js.b1 wrote:
Doesn't france use solid green for Earth(CPC)?

E = Yellow/green
N = blue
L (phase) = any (single I presume) colour except blue, is
what I read recently.

John

--
John Mulrooney

I had a friend once. . . but the lead broke and he ran off
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JTM wrote:

L (phase) = any (single I presume) colour except blue, is
what I read recently.

Often grey or grey with a black stripe in my experience.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 12, 9:22 pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
JTM wrote:
L (phase) = any (single I presume) colour except blue, is
what I read recently.

Often grey or grey with a black stripe in my experience.

I'd like everybody to go back to red, black, green. A pox on people
who keep changing things. Colour blind people should not be
electricians.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 16:23:02 +0100, Lobster wrote:

Sainsbury's being naughty flogging appliances without the correctly
coloured flex?

Donno, why not mention it to you local trading standards? Both the
colour coding of the flex and missing country of orgin. These things
are made down to the price, if the maker and shave a penny of his
costs by buying cheap flex he will.

Bought a branded hair drier for daughter a while back full power is
2kW or so (about 8A). The flex is 0.75mm CSA (6A) and yes the flex
does get warm in use...

--
Cheers
Dave.

flex vs rigid electrical conduits [email protected] Home Repair 0 December 11th 06 04:01 AM
1950s German appliance wiring colour codes Tony Polson UK diy 32 October 5th 06 08:10 PM
USA appliance flex colours? TW UK diy 3 July 23rd 05 07:19 PM
Why are electrical cables and flex different colours? Simon Marchese UK diy 40 September 11th 04 10:53 PM
colour of FTE electrical cable the yorkshire dalesman UK diy 17 December 14th 03 04:51 PM