Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lidl Compressor

Lidl have this compressor
http://lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_...ndex_13876.htm on offer
at £80 next Thursday.

Is it likely to be any good? [It's quite a lot cheaper than a (roughly)
equivalent jobbie from the likes of Machine Mart].

I've often toyed with the idea of having a compressor - so this looks
like a possible opportunity to 'stick my toe in the water'.

How many of you own one? How useful is it - particularly one of this size?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message

snip
:
: I've often toyed with the idea of having a compressor - so this
looks
: like a possible opportunity to 'stick my toe in the water'.
:

Before anyone can answer your questions you need to tell us what
you intend to do with the compressor, inflating your car tyres,
using a nail gun or repainting a car or house all need different
spec's of compressors...
--
Regards, Jerry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Sep, 11:48, Huge wrote:

How useful is it

Very. Another one of those "how did I manage without this" tools.

Mine looks very similar to the Lidl one.

what have you done/managed to do/failed to do with it?

Cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-09-10, Roger Mills wrote:
Lidl have this compressor
http://lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_...ndex_13876.htm on offer
at £80 next Thursday.

Is it likely to be any good? [It's quite a lot cheaper than a (roughly)
equivalent jobbie from the likes of Machine Mart].

I've often toyed with the idea of having a compressor - so this looks
like a possible opportunity to 'stick my toe in the water'.

How many of you own one?

An air compressor? Me.

And me (4 actually).

I've a 50l / 15cfm jobby when I really need some air and don't mind
the noise and a Bambi / Wolf 25l / 2cfm hybrid that is virtually
silent when I need a bit of air and want it without the need for
earplugs (or it's late).

Then I have the lightweight oil-free portable (240V) jobby that is
handy for blowing the dust out of stuff and tire inflation and a
similar pump on a 25l reservoir that the daughter uses up in Scotland,
mainly for the blowgun and tyre inflator.

Very handy when used with a rattle gun, air gun and tyre inflator.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

How many of you own one? How useful is it - particularly one of this size?

I've got a Bostitch of about the same size. It's main use day-to-day
is as a blow-off gun for quickly clearing dust and debris away from a
work area, but I also use it to drive a nailer and for occasional air-
brush use.

dan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2010 11:54, Jerry wrote:
"Roger wrote in message

snip
:
: I've often toyed with the idea of having a compressor - so this
looks
: like a possible opportunity to 'stick my toe in the water'.
:

Before anyone can answer your questions you need to tell us what
you intend to do with the compressor, inflating your car tyres,
using a nail gun or repainting a car or house all need different
spec's of compressors...

The truth is that I don't really know! It may be the case of a solution
looking for a problem - or a case of let's get one and see what I can do
with it! Hence my request for other people's experiences.

I guess that primarily I would use it for inflating tyres and blowing
dirt off things. I might get attachments such as a nail gun and/or
impact driver - and possibly sand blaster. I don't expect to do much -
if any - paint spraying.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:56:44 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

It does not spec a free air delivery or input power,

Funny the page I see says "Air displacement (1lr/min): 270" that's
about 9.5 cfm but it doesn't say if that is free air or not. The item
is called "2.5HP Air Compressor" so I'd guess it's a 2.5HP jobbie.
B-)

It has auto switching which some of the bargain basement ones lack.

But I don't see any mention of that on the page I see. Weird.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
: On 10/09/2010 11:54, Jerry wrote:
: "Roger wrote in message
: ...
:
: snip
: :
[...]

The Lidil compressor should be fine for the first three uses
(providing that you are not planning to 'nail for Britain' in a
house building competition. Both impact and most certainly sand
blasting could be a problem if used constantly as it doesn't have
a very large (24lt) tank capacity, and thus you would be more
reliant on the displacement of the actual compressor (the Air
Displacement figure). That said, for the price, this unit should
be good to get started if used sensibly. Always wear eye
protection is using a compressed air supply for blowing dirt
off/out of things, the average elf and safety inspector frowns on
such use for understandable reasons!
--
Regards, Jerry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 10, 11:41*am, Roger Mills wrote:
Lidl have this compressorhttp://lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_13876.htmon offer
at £80 next Thursday.

Is it likely to be any good? [It's quite a lot cheaper than a (roughly)
equivalent jobbie from the likes of Machine Mart].

I've often toyed with the idea of having a compressor - so this looks
like a possible opportunity to 'stick my toe in the water'.

How many of you own one? How useful is it - particularly one of this size?

With compressors they can never have too much free air delivery or too
big a receiver :-).

I've just bought a new one -- the biggest I could get that would be on
wheels and would run off a 13 amp socket. 200 litre receiver and
huge starting capacitors and an automatic decompressor to allow an
easy start. And belt driven.

As has been pointed out to you, small compressors don't have much
puff. And direct-drive oilless compressors don't tend to last as
long. However, there are some jobs for which being able to bring the
compressor to the job is very important and providing the tool is
small and of low consumption, they'll do fine for occasional use.

Pneumatic nailers and (especially) staplers are brilliant tools.

As someone else has pointed out, air tools are delightful to handle,
cheap and generally quite well made. With no electric motor they're
compact and reliable.

The Lidl compressor is probably a good enough buy if you regard it as
a "taster" to see whether air tools are for you.

John MacLeod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 10/09/2010 11:41, Roger Mills wrote:
Lidl have this compressor
http://lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_...ndex_13876.htm on offer
at £80 next Thursday.

Is it likely to be any good? [It's quite a lot cheaper than a (roughly)
equivalent jobbie from the likes of Machine Mart].

It actually looks quite reasonable - a 25L receiver is about the
minimum size for getting useful amounts of work done in a range of
applications. It does not spec a free air delivery or input power, but
from the displacement I should guess its about 1 to 1.5 hp. It has auto
switching which some of the bargain basement ones lack.

I've often toyed with the idea of having a compressor - so this looks
like a possible opportunity to 'stick my toe in the water'.

How many of you own one? How useful is it - particularly one of this size?

I have a similar spec SIP unit, and use if for a reasonable range of
jobs including: nail guns (framing and 18g brad), tyre inflation, blow
gun (dusting, and inflating low pressure stuff!), medium sized spray
gun which I used for furniture finishing, impact wrench, plus a couple
of less often used things.

Its not going to be well suited to jobs that need continuous supply of
lots of air like running some rotating air tools, or bigger spraying
jobs.

My weatherboarding garage has a surface area of 60 square metres. Sounds
like a biggish job to me. What would happen if I were to use the Lidl
compressor to spray it with timber treatment? Would it run out of puff
after a few sq m, or would it keep going for an hour or so?

The house (semi-detached part of a converted barn) is even bigger. One
of these day's I'll measure it and frighten myself at the cost of
treating it.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2010 14:34, Roger Mills wrote:
On 10/09/2010 11:54, Jerry wrote:
"Roger wrote in message

snip
:
: I've often toyed with the idea of having a compressor - so this
looks
: like a possible opportunity to 'stick my toe in the water'.
:

Before anyone can answer your questions you need to tell us what
you intend to do with the compressor, inflating your car tyres,
using a nail gun or repainting a car or house all need different
spec's of compressors...

The truth is that I don't really know! It may be the case of a solution
looking for a problem - or a case of let's get one and see what I can do
with it! Hence my request for other people's experiences.

I guess that primarily I would use it for inflating tyres and blowing
dirt off things.

I love the idea of buying one of these for "blowing the dirt off
things"... I fear SWMBO might require a little more justification than
that... ;-)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 10/09/2010 17:50, Peter Twydell wrote:
[...]

Since its 2.5hp, then a free aid delivery of 7 cfm seems plausible -
that will run a fair size spray gun. Its rare to keep the trigger held
down for that long at a time anyway when spraying, so there are natural
breaks to allow it to recharge. I can't see 60m^2 being much problem in
that sense. (although for wood preserver a pump up garden sprayer is
probably as good or better - you don't normally need the fine
atomisation (and hence fine finish achievable) of a high presure sprayer
for that.

The house (semi-detached part of a converted barn) is even bigger. One
of these day's I'll measure it and frighten myself at the cost of
treating it.

Just don't spray on a windy day, else you will be treating the
neighbourhood at the same time!

An HVLP sprayer would be much better for this sort of job. The blower is
light weight and hangs off your shoulder on a strap with just a mains
lead to tow behind you. I was quite pleased with the performance power
one from B&Q - about £50 4 years ago.
I expect they still do them maybe with a different badge.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jerry" wrote in message
.. Always wear eye
protection is using a compressed air supply for blowing dirt
off/out of things, the average elf and safety inspector frowns on
such use for understandable reasons!
--

Neighbor has a large compressor (twin cylinder job) recently had it running
so his 5yr old son could play with air hose.

So he was happily blasting away stones, sand, water, cement dust etc. from
his not yet laid drive .... does make you wonder how risky that is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2010 18:09, John Rumm wrote:

I did not spot the 2.5hp, but if it is 2.5hp then it ought to be good
for 7 cfm free air delivery which is plenty to be useful.

I didn't spot it at first. It's under the picture, not in the list of
attributes

which appears when you click on the picture.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message

It did not spell it out, but the fact there are two pressure dials is a
good clue.

The previous lidl one which looks the same switches on and off at the set
pressure.
It also came with a set of tools and was only £65.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
Lidl have this compressor
http://lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_...ndex_13876.htm on offer
at £80 next Thursday.

Is it likely to be any good? [It's quite a lot cheaper than a
(roughly) equivalent jobbie from the likes of Machine Mart].

I've often toyed with the idea of having a compressor - so this looks
like a possible opportunity to 'stick my toe in the water'.

How many of you own one? How useful is it - particularly one of this
size?

I have a similar SF one purchased about 8 years ago, very useful indeed.
Brad nailer is great for tacking together all sorts when glueing, especially
good on small mouldings. Blowgun as others have said for clearing out power
tool vents etc. Also used for airbeds, pools etc.

Tyre inflator really useful, particularly when both daughters & cars were at
home. Never used the spraygun.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 18:18:56 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Tell her she can do the tyres on the car without having to go to the
garage and do it under the watchful eye of a load of strange blokes!

Tyres are about the only thing I need (as in need not would be nice
to have) for compressed air and I have a heavy duty tyre inflator for
that.

Blowing cack out of things might be useful but isn't a strong enough
hook to hang a compressor on. My lungs work reasonably well, both
methods just end up shoving the cack into the atmosphere though.

A driver for nuts could be handy now that I swap wheels between
summer and winter. But the ordinary car supplied wrench is good
enough with a torque wrench. Now a driver that you could set the
torque would be good.

Still not a very strong hook...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rick Hughes" wrote in
message ...
:
: "Jerry" wrote in message
: ...
: . Always wear eye
: protection is using a compressed air supply for blowing dirt
: off/out of things, the average elf and safety inspector
frowns on
: such use for understandable reasons!
: --
:
:
: Neighbor has a large compressor (twin cylinder job) recently
had it running
: so his 5yr old son could play with air hose.
: No safety kit, not even any shoes on.
:
: So he was happily blasting away stones, sand, water, cement
dust etc. from
: his not yet laid drive .... does make you wonder how risky that
is.
:

Proves how stupid some parents are, not only is there a risk from
flying grit etc. but the very real danger that such a young kid
could have ended up inflating parts of his own body - should the
wrong sort of blower-gun be in use...
--
Regards, Jerry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in
message ...

snip
:
: An HVLP sprayer would be much better for this sort of job. The
blower is
: light weight and hangs off your shoulder on a strap with just a
mains
: lead to tow behind you.

Err, which is more bulk/weight than a spray gun and trailing air
hose - duh! :~)
--
Regards, Jerry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Bob Minchin
saying something like:

An HVLP sprayer would be much better for this sort of job. The blower is
light weight and hangs off your shoulder on a strap with just a mains
lead to tow behind you. I was quite pleased with the performance power
one from B&Q - about £50 4 years ago.
I expect they still do them maybe with a different badge.

I concur, especially if it's a large outdoor area and many metres of
trailing air hose would be a royal pita. Most especially if there isn't
any other need for an air compressor and the painter /owner doesn't have
one.

Once again, the Jerry creature misses the point.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/10 11:41, Roger Mills wrote:
Lidl have this compressor
http://lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_...ndex_13876.htm on offer
at £80 next Thursday.

Anyone else notice the box at the left of the page: "Similar Items -
Men’s Socks" !!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in
message
ll.co.uk...

snip
:
: Still not a very strong hook...
:

I can tell you, having access to air tools is a "How did I manage
before" moment and when you can't have access to air tools you
realise just how much of a bummer it is without - in the same way
that it's quite possible to live without the electric drill but
how many would chose to?!...
--
Regards, Jerry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2010 21:29, Jerry wrote:
"Dave wrote in
message
ll.co.uk...

snip
:
: Still not a very strong hook...
:

I can tell you, having access to air tools is a "How did I manage
before" moment and when you can't have access to air tools you
realise just how much of a bummer it is without - in the same way
that it's quite possible to live without the electric drill but
how many would chose to?!...

I'm sure you're right! For the sake of the un-initiated (like me!) would
you care to elaborate on the advantages of air tools over
electrically-driven equivalents?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Minchin
writes
John Rumm wrote:
[...]

That sounds like a much better idea.

I've also got a number of radiators to paint, not to mention the 80+
metres of fencing that I did a few years ago with a Cuprinol hand-pumped
sprayer. The Earlex video on the Screwfix site is quite persuasive.

Thanks for the suggestion.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 11, 8:52*am, Jim K wrote:
On 11 Sep, 07:31, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
http://www.northerntooluk.com

poss. favorite in carlisle?

Jim K

Innuendo aside,and apoologies for hijacking the thread, but Northern
Tool is most certainly not a Northern company, no matter what its
origins and the original reason for the name.

One of the nasties, in fact, which makes a point of refusing to
deliver to the Northern half of the UK except at the most punitive of
rates, even for northern mainland deliveries. Northern Tool may not
be the worst at concealing the charge, but they certainly pile on the
freight charges worse than most -- often at the rate of 50-100% of the
cost of the goods.

I never have worked out exactly how it can be legal for some companies
to exclude from their definition of "UK Mainland" an area which is the
size of Belgium. Either it's mainland or it's not mainland. Lies
don't help or change facts. And who wants to trust companies who
aren't honest or truthful with regard to carriage charges? My
quarrel is not with the right of companies to restrict the area within
which they're prepared to trade, but rather with companies which
distort the terms and conditions of trade in their catalogues and
advertising material.

Rant over. Sorry for hijacking thread :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
http://www.northerntooluk.com

poss. favorite in carlisle?

Jim K

Innuendo aside,and apoologies for hijacking the thread, but Northern
Tool is most certainly not a Northern company, no matter what its
origins and the original reason for the name.

they're US based aren't they? Jules?

[...]

no probs -
twas only my attempt at jest ;)

I've never bought from them yet they send me crapalogues every now and
then with ludicrous pricing annd shipping, (doubtless aimed at
"corporates" and "council jobsworths" who believe themselves to be
"worth it"; and/or to allow "sales" with fakey "discounts" (a la
Draper) now and again).

Anyone have any good experiences with this lot ? wonder what their
turnover is? annd who pays those eyewatering prices/delivery scams?

Cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

How many of you own one?

An air compressor? Me.

AOL

How useful is it

Very.

AOL

I now have three compressors. A large diesel-powered one for use on the
farm, it's a 15cfm unit and it's essential for powering farm tools. I
also have a compressor like the Lidl unit which I bought for use at home
because I realised how much I missed using the air tools once I didn't
have access to a compressor.

I don't know why, but I find my air drill and air chisel to be more
"handy" than electric versions of the same tools.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jerry wrote:

Before anyone can answer your questions you need to tell us what
you intend to do with the compressor, inflating your car tyres,
using a nail gun or repainting a car or house all need different
spec's of compressors...

Err no. That's balls.

Simply size the compressor to the tool that makes the greatest demand
for air. Stating that the tools all need different specs of compressors
is utter crap.

As usual from you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

I love the idea of buying one of these for "blowing the dirt off
things"... I fear SWMBO might require a little more justification than
that... ;-)

One of the more demanding uses for a compressor is to use an air/water
gun for high pressure car washing. Compared to the Kärcher type of
electric pressure washers these guns are cheap and effective. They need
a lot of air though, I can only use the one I bought for washing the
tractor with the largest compressor that I own.

I note that the prices of all these things have rocketed recently. My
diesel compressor cost about £400. Current versions are around £1600. I
presume this is the rising cost of steel and the falling value of the
pound at work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
John MacLeod writes
wrote:
http://www.northerntooluk.com

poss. favorite in carlisle?

Jim K

Innuendo aside,and apoologies for hijacking the thread, but Northern
Tool is most certainly not a Northern company, no matter what its
origins and the original reason for the name.

One of the nasties, in fact, which makes a point of refusing to
deliver to the Northern half of the UK except at the most punitive of
rates, even for northern mainland deliveries. Northern Tool may not
be the worst at concealing the charge, but they certainly pile on the
freight charges worse than most -- often at the rate of 50-100% of the
cost of the goods.

Are you talking of the highlands and islands?

Its not the tool company, its the couriers who charge the delivery rates

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Jim
K writes

wrote:
[...]

Westfalia always struck me as being one of the worst

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Jim K
saying something like:

Northern Tool

Anyone have any good experiences with this lot ? wonder what their
turnover is? annd who pays those eyewatering prices/delivery scams?

I bought a welder and compressor from them several years ago - the
carriage cost to Ireland was very cheap, the prices were good, and the
only flies in the ointment were the numpties at the warehouse who
couldn't pack anything worth a ****.
Might have changed since, of course.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 02:53:07 -0700 (PDT), Jim K

However, I do generally consider myself one of the lucky ones because
in spite of us not sharing the Snap-On, Screwfix, Machine Mart
catalogues she did build a kit car with me (and not just making the
tea) and won't get on her XV750 motorbike unless she's going to do at
least 200 miles.

And she has just paid my yearly Argoshield rental. ;-)

you sure she's a girl?

She was. She's a pensioner now. ;-(

T i m (a toy boy).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

She was. She's a pensioner now. ;-(

T i m (a toy boy).

Same here!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

I concur, especially if it's a large outdoor area and many metres of
trailing air hose would be a royal pita. Most especially if there isn't
any other need for an air compressor and the painter /owner doesn't have
one.

One of the problems in the UK is that the lightweight PU hoses that are
available for agricultural work in the rest of Europe seem to be unknown
here. I use my compressor in a large outdoor area with 30 metres of air
hose, the hose isn't a PITA at all. But it would be if I had to use the
heavy hoses that are common in the UK.

Once again, the Jerry creature misses the point.

Well of course, he's a moron.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember (Steve Firth)
saying something like:

One of the problems in the UK is that the lightweight PU hoses that are
available for agricultural work in the rest of Europe seem to be unknown
here. I use my compressor in a large outdoor area with 30 metres of air
hose, the hose isn't a PITA at all.

That sounds like the kind of thing I've been looking for.
I have the usual heavy hose, and a lightweight spiral piece of ****,
which is barely acceptable for tyre use, but I can't find the decent
spiral type at a sensible price.
I take it you're referring to straight PU hose?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember (Steve Firth)
saying something like:

https://shop.angst-pfister.com/ishop....0112.01.xhtml

That looks bloody useful, ta.
Now to see what they charge for delivery...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Firth
writes
Jerry wrote:

Before anyone can answer your questions you need to tell us what
you intend to do with the compressor, inflating your car tyres,
using a nail gun or repainting a car or house all need different
spec's of compressors...

Err no. That's balls.

Simply size the compressor to the tool that makes the greatest demand
for air. Stating that the tools all need different specs of compressors
is utter crap.

Gentlemen please!

Most workshop compressors do not have wheels so a mini portable may have
uses in places hard to access. I'm not sure if the diesel, road drill
type, compressor is oil free which might be an issue for spraying, etc.

I haven't read the full thread but nobody has mentioned insurance and
annual pressure vessel testing. D-I-Yers may escape but any commercial
operation is vulnerable to the man with the clip board.

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes

https://shop.angst-pfister.com/ishop...roduct/12.0112
.01.xhtml

That looks bloody useful, ta.
Now to see what they charge for delivery...

I use Griflex. Flow/pressure is an issue on long pipe runs.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message

Most workshop compressors do not have wheels so a mini portable may have
uses in places hard to access. I'm not sure if the diesel, road drill
type, compressor is oil free which might be an issue for spraying, etc.

Don't you need a coalescing (god knows if that's spelt correctly!) filter
to remove the water and that should remove the oil too.

Lidl SDS Harry Bloomfield[_3_] UK diy 0 April 13th 10 10:38 PM
That Lidl SDS ... Gordon Henderson UK diy 16 September 15th 09 05:12 PM
Lidl by Lidl The Medway Handyman UK diy 5 January 8th 09 04:25 PM
SDS @ Lidl cupra UK diy 0 July 13th 06 12:15 PM
DIY at Lidl Mary Fisher UK diy 1 January 20th 05 02:34 PM