Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - everlasting email accounts

I've had three different ISP's over the last 10 years or so. I am still
able to use the email accounts I set up with the first two even though I
switched from the first provider about 10 years ago and the second, about
two years ago. I can only receive email from the oldest one but I can send
and receive mail with the second. Is there any particular reason why these
accounts are still live after I have moved to a new ISP?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/10 18:53, Wesley wrote:
I've had three different ISP's over the last 10 years or so. I am still
able to use the email accounts I set up with the first two even though I
switched from the first provider about 10 years ago and the second, about
two years ago. I can only receive email from the oldest one but I can send
and receive mail with the second. Is there any particular reason why these
accounts are still live after I have moved to a new ISP?

Incompetence.

--
Bernard Peek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bernard Peek wrote:
On 03/09/10 18:53, Wesley wrote:
I've had three different ISP's over the last 10 years or so. I am still
able to use the email accounts I set up with the first two even though I
switched from the first provider about 10 years ago and the second, about
two years ago. I can only receive email from the oldest one but I can
send
and receive mail with the second. Is there any particular reason why
these
accounts are still live after I have moved to a new ISP?

Incompetence.

ITYM incempitonce.. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've had three different ISP's over the last 10 years or so. I am still able to use the email accounts I set up with the first
two even though I switched from the first provider about 10 years ago and the second, about two years ago. I can only receive
email from the oldest one but I can send and receive mail with the second. Is there any particular reason why these accounts are
still live after I have moved to a new ISP?

Name names, they might interest us.

How are you sending mail on the "oldest" account? If you are using the SMTP
server corresponding to that account it isn't surprising you can't send.
Try using the SMTP server of your current ISP, you might well find that it works.

I have a couple of Freeserve email addresses that are over 10 years old and still
work even though I haven't used the Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange accounts for many
years, although being PAYG dial-up accounts I suppose I am technically still a
customer.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham." wrote in message

[...]

Well, the first is t***ali and the second is s*y. (Not sure if I should be
revealing these!)

I tried using my current SMTP server for the oldest email account and - it
works - I can still send emails!

I still can't figure out why the accounts are still live?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2010 20:43, Wesley wrote:

Well, the first is t***ali and the second is s*y. (Not sure if I should be
revealing these!)

I tried using my current SMTP server for the oldest email account and - it
works - I can still send emails!

I still can't figure out why the accounts are still live?

When you migrate from one ISP to another, its seems to be fairly common
for ISPs to downgrade subscription accounts to PAYG accounts, and leave
them in place.

I've still got working Freeserve accounts, but they haven't been my ISP
for quite a few years. I can receive emails from the
Freeserve/Wanaddoo/Orange POP server whilst being physically connected
to my current ISP's server, and can send emails from my Freeserve
address by using my current ISP's SMTP server.

I do get the occasional email from Freeserve(Orange) saying that the
account will be zapped if I don't dial in - or re-activate it via their
web interface, so I do the latter when required.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 21:57:07 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

So long as you don't expect or come to rely on this - because one day
these email accounts will just go away. If you do need persistent email
accounts, the only reliable way to assure them is to buy your own
domain/hosting and have have all your email addresses (note: plural,
there's no reason to just have one) routed back to your home machine.

--
http://www.thisreallyismyhost.99k.or...9190352936.php
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 21:51:00 GMT, pete
wrote:

[...]

Or use the freebies, Gmail, Hotmail for example. And I've been using a
free redirect since the early 90's which has allowed me to retain the
same email address despite changing ISPs several times.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2010 22:51, pete wrote:
On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 21:57:07 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

I do get the occasional email from Freeserve(Orange) saying that the
account will be zapped if I don't dial in - or re-activate it via their
web interface, so I do the latter when required.

So long as you don't expect or come to rely on this - because one day
these email accounts will just go away. If you do need persistent email
accounts, the only reliable way to assure them is to buy your own
domain/hosting and have have all your email addresses (note: plural,
there's no reason to just have one) routed back to your home machine.

Yes, indeed - it *could* happen. In fact, a few years ago, it *did*
happen - when Orange zapped thousands of allegedly unused PAYG accounts
without warning. There was such a public outcry that they had to
reinstate them!

I don't use my Freeserve account for anything important, but it's useful
because you can generate an unlimited number of 'throw-away' email
addresses. Every time I buy something from an on-line supplier who
insists on having an email address and password, I generate a unique one
for that supplier - e.g.

I can then see who sells addresses to spammers!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Wesley" wrote in message
news
I tried using my current SMTP server for the oldest email account and - it
works - I can still send emails!

You can send from any email address you like using most ISPs SMTP servers.
Try using and it will probably work.
Its why there is so much spam, the mail protocol is poor and ISPs don't
enforce logging in to send mail.

Its what happens to the reply that matters to you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

[...]

Be carefull!

Some users have mail systems which compare the sender's e-mail address
with the IP address it is sent from.

If the sender's address is and the IP address is registered
to abc.co.uk, the mail will be rejected. (Simple precaution against
spammers.)

It may well work for a lot of your mail but be cautious if your mail is
important!
--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Wesley" wrote in message o.uk...
I've had three different ISP's over the last 10 years or so. I am still able to use the email accounts I set up with the first
two even though I switched from the first provider about 10 years ago and the second, about two years ago. I can only receive
email from the oldest one but I can send and receive mail with the second. Is there any particular reason why these accounts are
still live after I have moved to a new ISP?

I confess I was with Tiscali before I moved to BE!

They were pretty quick in cutting off my email, not a problem, I didn't use it for
anything.
The free webspace was usefull and I was a tiny bit sad to see it go,
see if yours is still accesable (if you ever activated it).

They did allow me to continue logging in to my account for a while after I migrated,
which was usful as I needed to print off the last couple of invoices to claim
back on expenses.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%