Posted to uk.d-i-y
Wesley[_2_] Wesley[_2_] is offline

Default OT - everlasting email accounts

"Graham." wrote in message

I've had three different ISP's over the last 10 years or so. I am still
able to use the email accounts I set up with the first two even though I
switched from the first provider about 10 years ago and the second, about
two years ago. I can only receive email from the oldest one but I can
send and receive mail with the second. Is there any particular reason
why these accounts are still live after I have moved to a new ISP?

Name names, they might interest us.

How are you sending mail on the "oldest" account? If you are using the
SMTP
server corresponding to that account it isn't surprising you can't send.
Try using the SMTP server of your current ISP, you might well find that it
works.

I have a couple of Freeserve email addresses that are over 10 years old
and still
work even though I haven't used the Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange accounts for
many
years, although being PAYG dial-up accounts I suppose I am technically
still a
customer.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Well, the first is t***ali and the second is s*y. (Not sure if I should be
revealing these!)

I tried using my current SMTP server for the oldest email account and - it
works - I can still send emails!

I still can't figure out why the accounts are still live?