Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Milk straining wood

Why would a newly varnished table be stained white when milk has been
spilled on it. It is newly varnish using Ronseal water based varnish
that is a milky colour in the tin.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
Why would a newly varnished table be stained white when milk has been
spilled on it. It is newly varnish using Ronseal water based varnish
that is a milky colour in the tin.

Dave

because its water based.?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2010 14:24, Dave wrote:
Why would a newly varnished table be stained white when milk has been
spilled on it. It is newly varnish using Ronseal water based varnish
that is a milky colour in the tin.

Dave

Sounds like the varnish hasn't formed a proper film. This can happen if
the wood is too porous, or subsequent coats were applied before the
first had fully dried
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2010 15:21, stuart noble wrote:
On 02/09/2010 14:24, Dave wrote:
Why would a newly varnished table be stained white when milk has been
spilled on it. It is newly varnish using Ronseal water based varnish
that is a milky colour in the tin.

Dave

Sounds like the varnish hasn't formed a proper film. This can happen if
the wood is too porous, or subsequent coats were applied before the
first had fully dried

How newly varnished? These water based varnishes take quite a while to
become fully water proof, if ever. Eurotrash! I won't use them. Just
chucked a tin away. Best to stick to yacht varnish or similar. Once
fully dry, you can sand it off and try again. The test is does the tin
say 'use white spirit to clean brushes'. If so it's probably OK.

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
Why would a newly varnished table be stained white when milk has been
spilled on it. It is newly varnish using Ronseal water based varnish that
is a milky colour in the tin.

Dave

As we've covered a number of times, varnish isn't an ideal choice for a
table top in any case, as it tends to get scratched up quickly, and
scratches won't simply polish out as they do with traditional treatments.
However, even good wax finishes will change colour a bit where water lies on
them, so the moral with either surface is to wipe wet off straight away, and
wax/french polish often.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2010 14:24, Dave wrote:
Why would a newly varnished table be stained white when milk has been
spilled on it. It is newly varnish using Ronseal water based varnish
that is a milky colour in the tin.

Dave

Sounds like the varnish hasn't formed a proper film. This can happen if
the wood is too porous, or subsequent coats were applied before the
first had fully dried

How newly varnished? These water based varnishes take quite a while to
become fully water proof, if ever. Eurotrash! I won't use them. Just
chucked a tin away. Best to stick to yacht varnish or similar. Once
fully dry, you can sand it off and try again. The test is does the tin
say 'use white spirit to clean brushes'. If so it's probably OK.

Peter Scott

Thanks all for the replies, I'll pass your comments on.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 2, 8:24*am, Dave wrote:
Why would a newly varnished table be stained white when milk has been
spilled on it. It is newly varnish using Ronseal water based varnish
that is a milky colour in the tin.

Dave

Give it a week or so to dry it may go away, doesnt using a water base
product just seem a bit wrong to you on a table that will get wet. Oil
polyurethane is the product to use
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2010 22:58, ransley wrote:
On Sep 2, 8:24 am, wrote:
Why would a newly varnished table be stained white when milk has been
spilled on it. It is newly varnish using Ronseal water based varnish
that is a milky colour in the tin.

Dave

Give it a week or so to dry it may go away, doesnt using a water base
product just seem a bit wrong to you on a table that will get wet. Oil
polyurethane is the product to use

That's what I thought, but I am not the pub manager that knows
everything out side his basic training.

Dave

OT - Foxes & Milk John UK diy 8 December 30th 09 12:26 PM
A thank you about milk paint Larry C[_2_] Woodworking 1 November 17th 09 10:13 PM
Straining sediment out of old galvanized plumbing Dan_Musicant Home Repair 8 August 20th 06 06:20 PM
Steel milk cans..OT Raw milk Ace Metalworking 2 September 18th 05 01:26 AM