Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default Milk straining wood

On 02/09/2010 16:06, Peter Scott wrote:
On 02/09/2010 15:21, stuart noble wrote:
On 02/09/2010 14:24, Dave wrote:
Why would a newly varnished table be stained white when milk has been
spilled on it. It is newly varnish using Ronseal water based varnish
that is a milky colour in the tin.

Dave

Sounds like the varnish hasn't formed a proper film. This can happen if
the wood is too porous, or subsequent coats were applied before the
first had fully dried

How newly varnished? These water based varnishes take quite a while to
become fully water proof, if ever. Eurotrash! I won't use them. Just
chucked a tin away. Best to stick to yacht varnish or similar. Once
fully dry, you can sand it off and try again. The test is does the tin
say 'use white spirit to clean brushes'. If so it's probably OK.

Peter Scott

Thanks all for the replies, I'll pass your comments on.

Dave