Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Distance of soakaway from buildings

Hi,

How far does a perf pipe soakaway have to be from any buildings?

On an aside - the concrete I shoved down the old bog pipe hasn't visibly
shrunk and seems to exhibit no movement when I jump up and down on it

Now, leading on from that, having blocked 2 redundant entries to a manhole
outside, I am left with one - that is blocked upstream but appears to be for
a gutter downpipe nearby.

As it is blocked, said gutter downpipe is doing lord knows what underground.

So it's soakaway conversion time if possible...

As I have 1.5-2.5' earth on top of clay, I'm considering running it out via
a 110 bottle trap, into solid pipe, then when far enough from everyone's
houses, convert into a perforated pipe sitting about a foot-foot/half down
on top of the clay.

This firstly depends on gradients permitting. It also depends on clearences
required.

If I don't go far enough I will affect the conservatory I have plans for. If
I go too far, I get close to teh neighbour's house.

If it all becomes impractical, I will have to connect to the main drain
which is 3ft away - but I'd like to move to soakaways all round and get a
reduction in my water-waste bill.

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
Hi,

How far does a perf pipe soakaway have to be from any buildings?

Thats one for the BCO. There are specific regulations. IIRC 2 meters.

But don't take my word fir it. Check.

On an aside - the concrete I shoved down the old bog pipe hasn't visibly
shrunk and seems to exhibit no movement when I jump up and down on it

Good.
Now, leading on from that, having blocked 2 redundant entries to a manhole
outside, I am left with one - that is blocked upstream but appears to be for
a gutter downpipe nearby.

Ho hum.

As it is blocked, said gutter downpipe is doing lord knows what underground.

Indeed. I wont tell you what my gutters feed..Its *probably* legal, but
I wouldn't want to argue it with the BCO..

So it's soakaway conversion time if possible...

Pond?

As I have 1.5-2.5' earth on top of clay, I'm considering running it out via
a 110 bottle trap,

why trap it al all if its rainwater?

into solid pipe, then when far enough from everyone's
houses, convert into a perforated pipe sitting about a foot-foot/half down
on top of the clay.

Hmm. Clasy itself will seep water. You CAN make a thwacking big leaky
chamber and put a lid on it..BCO should advise.

This firstly depends on gradients permitting. It also depends on clearences
required.

Not sure why pref pipe. A soakaway is first and foremost a large volume
of porosity surrounded by less porous stuff so as to maximise the
soaking ability of the soil. Can be a pit filled with rubble with a
plastic sheet on top.

Doesn't HAVE to be a porous pipe..those are more useful as soil DRAINS
than soakaways.

If I don't go far enough I will affect the conservatory I have plans for. If
I go too far, I get close to teh neighbour's house.

If it all becomes impractical, I will have to connect to the main drain
which is 3ft away - but I'd like to move to soakaways all round and get a
reduction in my water-waste bill.

Naturally. But look up what the BCO will accept as a soakaway before you
commit to a given solution.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

As I have 1.5-2.5' earth on top of clay, I'm considering running it out
via a 110 bottle trap,

why trap it al all if its rainwater?

To capture the moss, clag and stones/grit that otherwise eventually silt up
soakaways

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

As I have 1.5-2.5' earth on top of clay, I'm considering running it out
via a 110 bottle trap,

why trap it al all if its rainwater?

To capture the moss, clag and stones/grit that otherwise eventually silt up
soakaways

Sadly the stuff that eventually clogs, is silt, and silt goes round
traps just fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

5 Metres - covered in building regs part H

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Hmm - that will make it quite difficult - almost impossible in fact. I'll do
some measuring, but it might end up in the min drain.

--
Tim Watts

Soakaway [email protected] UK diy 1 February 10th 09 04:30 PM
soakaway Neil UK diy 2 November 26th 05 04:53 PM
Condensate soakaway Rod UK diy 8 April 19th 05 07:46 PM
How do you build a soakaway? kevinspiller UK diy 10 October 24th 04 08:22 PM
Soakaway under conservatory bigbrian UK diy 13 September 10th 04 10:44 PM