Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What anchors to use for (i) ladder ties & (ii) safety anchors?

I want to fix anchors every metre or so below gutters to tie the ladder
when cleaning gutters, splashing Sadolin on the fascias etc.

I want non-expanding fixings as they'll be into soft Victorian brick. I
thought I'd be able to use multi-monti eyebolts but they only seem to
offer 6x40mm eye-bolts with a 7mm eye which is smaller than I'd like
(and the usual suspects don't seem to stock them in any event). I then
thought I might use multi-monti studs with hangers but the only hangers
I can find seem a bit pricey - eg the Petzl COEUR hanger plates cost
around £3 each which seems a bit much. I must be missing the bleeding
obvious but what please?

I'd also like to fix a couple of a safety anchors if (probably a big if)
I decide to repoint a chimney. I don't need the security of a
professional device because I can arrange it so that if I slipped
there'd be very little shock load. But, again, I don't want to use an
expanding device in to the soft bricks. And just to make matters more
complicated, I'd prefer to have something removable so did not go
straight for the resin fixings (eg the ones made by Petzl etc for
climbing/caving). Would a 100mm multi-monti stud with a decent hanger
do me and if not what please?
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Aug, 13:31, "Robin" wrote:
[...]

MultiMonti are a good choice for your application, as they work well
in soft brick, and are easily removable.

But think more about length than diameter - you're not going to shear
through them - but it might be possible to pull a short thread out of
soft material.

They need to be drilled at *exactly* the right size too, and for soft
brick that may be 0.5mm under the recommended size for concrete.

As far as adding an anchor point to them, you could use almost
anything. Attach a timber plate, and screw whatever to it, or use
builders metal strapping (flexible steel strip with pre-drilled holes
- from Screwfix) - you're only stopping a ladder from slipping.

For chimneys, I prefer to put a rope right around the base of the
stack, and tie it to the ladder/access tower.

Inground pool, corroded ladder anchors Kip Home Repair 16 June 2nd 17 08:44 PM
Wall anchors andy the pugh UK diy 4 March 10th 06 12:47 AM
Looking for anchors dlemay69 Woodworking 5 November 16th 05 06:55 PM
concrete anchors Longshot Home Repair 5 October 5th 05 04:13 AM
Shed anchors? Dave Liquorice UK diy 11 May 2nd 05 09:06 PM