dlemay69

Default Looking for anchors

I am looking for a source for some anchors once used to mount speakers
into cabinets. The anchors would take a machine screw, and mount behind
the cabinet face, and had little grabbing spikes on them, so when you
put the screw in and tightened it, the spikes would grab the wood and
become fairly sturdy. I know that these anchors were used by Acoustic
Research at one time in the 3a remake models. I've tried searching on
the web, but I dont know what they're called. I've included a link to a
crude drawing of what I am looking for.

http://dlemay69.home.comcast.net/Drawing1.jpg

I appreciate any help in advance. Thanks!

Jim Artherholt

"dlemay69" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking for a source for some anchors once used to mount speakers
into cabinets. The anchors would take a machine screw, and mount behind
the cabinet face, and had little grabbing spikes on them, so when you
put the screw in and tightened it, the spikes would grab the wood and
become fairly sturdy. I know that these anchors were used by Acoustic
Research at one time in the 3a remake models. I've tried searching on
the web, but I dont know what they're called. I've included a link to a
crude drawing of what I am looking for.

http://dlemay69.home.comcast.net/Drawing1.jpg

I appreciate any help in advance. Thanks!

They are called "T" nuts and are a available from HD.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Artherholt

George

"dlemay69" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking for a source for some anchors once used to mount speakers
into cabinets. The anchors would take a machine screw, and mount behind
the cabinet face, and had little grabbing spikes on them, so when you
put the screw in and tightened it, the spikes would grab the wood and
become fairly sturdy. I know that these anchors were used by Acoustic
Research at one time in the 3a remake models. I've tried searching on
the web, but I dont know what they're called. I've included a link to a
crude drawing of what I am looking for.

http://dlemay69.home.comcast.net/Drawing1.jpg

What you've drawn is a T nut, but with chipboard it would not be my choice.
I'd use a Tinnerman nut, like they use in metal work where they don't want
vibration to reverse the screw.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../tinnerman.php

Greg G.

dlemay69 said:

I am looking for a source for some anchors once used to mount speakers
into cabinets. The anchors would take a machine screw, and mount behind

snip
I appreciate any help in advance. Thanks!

They are "T" nuts, and are available at most any hardware vendor.

Another has mentioned Tinnerman nuts, but these are not really very
useful when a 3 lb Alnico-V magnet and blind holes are involved - you
generally have no access to the back of the panel when mounting
speakers into a sealed box. And when the mounting screws are removed,
the clip falls into the box, generally snapping onto the magnet of one
speaker of another, and sometimes, through the speaker cone.
These are generally used more in sheet-metal assemblies than speaker
enclosures.
FWIW,

Greg G.
Chris Friesen

dlemay69 wrote:
I am looking for a source for some anchors once used to mount speakers
into cabinets. The anchors would take a machine screw, and mount behind
the cabinet face, and had little grabbing spikes on them, so when you
put the screw in and tightened it, the spikes would grab the wood and
become fairly sturdy.

As others have mentioned, you're describing a T-nut. You can also use
Propell nuts if you think the spikes may split your material.

http://www.stafast.com/products/tnuts.html

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On 16 Nov 2005 03:04:30 -0800, "dlemay69" wrote:

I am looking for a source for some anchors once used to mount speakers
into cabinets. The anchors would take a machine screw, and mount behind
the cabinet face, and had little grabbing spikes on them, so when you
put the screw in and tightened it, the spikes would grab the wood and
become fairly sturdy. I know that these anchors were used by Acoustic
Research at one time in the 3a remake models. I've tried searching on
the web, but I dont know what they're called. I've included a link to a
crude drawing of what I am looking for.

http://dlemay69.home.comcast.net/Drawing1.jpg

I appreciate any help in advance. Thanks!

You're looking for a T-nut, as the others have said...
A few have also said that the t-nut is not good on fiber board..

I use a lot of t-nuts in my side thing of rv wheel chocks, and HATE those
points..
they usually bend, break or make a nice groove in the wood...
You can buy another type (I find Lowes has a good selection) that has 3 holes
for brads or small screws instead of the points.. I really prefer them..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing