Posted to uk.d-i-y
mo mo is offline

Default DeWalt Tools

Bit late posting this as I have already bought the tools... but what are
your thoughts on DeWalt tools?

I know at the current time DeWalt and Makita are meant to be the 2 premium
tool brands - but are they that good?

I just bought this:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/28105/...Drills/DeWalt-
Drill-Driver-14-4V

Which actually was very good value when you compare prices, it seems well
built enough

and this:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14303/...DeWalt-DW340K-
240V-Hot-Air-Gun;jsessionid=05ETWN3X2CGWECSTHZOSFFY

which again is quite cheap - its also an absolute beast in terms of size
compared to other heatguns I have used

overall then what are your thoughts?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mo" wrote in message
.. .
Bit late posting this as I have already bought the tools... but what

are
your thoughts on DeWalt tools?

I know at the current time DeWalt and Makita are meant to be the 2

premium
tool brands - but are they that good?

I just bought this:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/28105/...Drills/DeWalt-
Drill-Driver-14-4V

Which actually was very good value when you compare prices, it seems

well
built enough

and this:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14303/...DeWalt-DW340K-
240V-Hot-Air-Gun;jsessionid=05ETWN3X2CGWECSTHZOSFFY

which again is quite cheap - its also an absolute beast in terms of

size
compared to other heatguns I have used

overall then what are your thoughts?

Best thing I did was to buy a decent DeWalt 18v drill. For years I'd
struggled with Wickes branded £50 jobs which sort of did the job but
only just. Final straw was driving 6" No12 wood screws in a barn
conversion - the Wickes Special didn't stand a chance whereas the
DeWalt ate the job. OK much mure expensive but it's already lasted 3
years of VERY heavy DIY and not complained. Which is why I now have a
DeWalt 18v angle grinder (excellent - particularly in a field where
there is no mains!) and a DeWalt chop saw - all well made and good
tools to work with.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember mo saying something
like:

Bit late posting this as I have already bought the tools... but what are
your thoughts on DeWalt tools?

I know at the current time DeWalt and Makita are meant to be the 2 premium
tool brands - but are they that good?

Ime, you do get what you pay for, at least for DeWalt a few years ago;
don't know if the quality's gone down recently.
I have a DW jigsaw which is a lovely machine to use and surpasses every
other jigsaw I had or used.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
mo wrote:
Bit late posting this as I have already bought the tools... but what are
your thoughts on DeWalt tools?

I know at the current time DeWalt and Makita are meant to be the 2
premium tool brands - but are they that good?

Don't think any one maker exclusively does the best power tools. Although
it could be said you won't actually go wrong with Makita. But that's not
to say every single model they make is the best in class.

Strangely, the only DeWalt I own is their lightweight SDS drill - which
was light years ahead of the competition when it was introduced many years
ago. Just the right size for DIY use.

--
*My designated driver drove me to drink

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
mo wrote:
Bit late posting this as I have already bought the tools... but what
are your thoughts on DeWalt tools?

I know at the current time DeWalt and Makita are meant to be the 2
premium tool brands - but are they that good?

Don't think any one maker exclusively does the best power tools.
Although it could be said you won't actually go wrong with Makita.
But that's not to say every single model they make is the best in
class.

Agreed, delighted with everything Makita apart from circular saw.

Strangely, the only DeWalt I own is their lightweight SDS drill -
which was light years ahead of the competition when it was introduced
many years ago. Just the right size for DIY use.

Funny. I've played with DeWalt drill drivers & found them really heavy &
bulky compared to Mak.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article DiDco.109985$KP3.26143@hurricane,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Strangely, the only DeWalt I own is their lightweight SDS drill -
which was light years ahead of the competition when it was introduced
many years ago. Just the right size for DIY use.

Funny. I've played with DeWalt drill drivers & found them really heavy
& bulky compared to Mak.

I bought mine many years ago, and dunno if Makita even made a comparable
one then. And if they did, no-where near the price. It was before the
sheds started selling SDS.

--
*The modem is the message *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 00:15:20 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
mo wrote:
Bit late posting this as I have already bought the tools... but what
are your thoughts on DeWalt tools?

I know at the current time DeWalt and Makita are meant to be the 2
premium tool brands - but are they that good?

Don't think any one maker exclusively does the best power tools.
Although it could be said you won't actually go wrong with Makita.
But that's not to say every single model they make is the best in
class.

Agreed, delighted with everything Makita apart from circular saw.

Strangely, the only DeWalt I own is their lightweight SDS drill -
which was light years ahead of the competition when it was introduced
many years ago. Just the right size for DIY use.

Funny. I've played with DeWalt drill drivers & found them really heavy &
bulky compared to Mak.

Just looked at a DeWalt 18V combi and compared it with my 18V Makita combi:
they seemd to be the same length (although, for some reason, DeWalts always
look long in pictures) and the DW seemed a fraction heavier - still felt
good though.

Trying to csk some hardwood yesterday - the PowerCraft 14.4 was almost
stalling and nowt much happening; the 12V Makita drill/driver, with the
same bit, was almost over-enthusiastic. Most satisfying.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
Trying to csk some hardwood yesterday - the PowerCraft 14.4 was almost
stalling and nowt much happening; the 12V Makita drill/driver, with the
same bit, was almost over-enthusiastic. Most satisfying.

Almost certainly down to the battery quality.

I re-celled a B&Q cheapie once using decent cells I had lying around.
Transformed it.

--
*No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver,purple

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Aug, 14:52, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

I re-celled a B&Q cheapie once using decent cells I had lying around.
Transformed it.

Almost a cue for a new thread.

Has anyone else out there with experience of the likely cost of re-
celling (not reselling)? I've got an McKeller/NuTool 24V drill which
(remarkably) works well but one of the two battery packs is shot.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 14:52:34 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
Trying to csk some hardwood yesterday - the PowerCraft 14.4 was almost
stalling and nowt much happening; the 12V Makita drill/driver, with the
same bit, was almost over-enthusiastic. Most satisfying.

Almost certainly down to the battery quality.

Yup - also the '1 hour charge' is now over 90 min.

I re-celled a B&Q cheapie once using decent cells I had lying around.
Transformed it.

Only worth doing for this one if the cells are free :-(
It's just useful to leave in the shed, then if it craps out or gets nicked
it doesn't matter.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:
On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 00:15:20 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
mo wrote:
[...]

I've always found the Makita drivers punch well above their weight. I've
got a 7.2v driver & a 7.2v impact driver - both of which obviously think
they are 12v :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 01:07:22 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Trying to csk some hardwood yesterday - the PowerCraft 14.4 was almost
stalling and nowt much happening; the 12V Makita drill/driver, with
the same bit, was almost over-enthusiastic. Most satisfying.

I've always found the Makita drivers punch well above their weight. I've
got a 7.2v driver & a 7.2v impact driver - both of which obviously think
they are 12v :-)

and the 12V is emulating its big brother!
Found out that 5mmx40mm st. st. Turbo screws are a bit small for the 12V
impact driver - great care needed to get it just right and I now have 2
screwless heads!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away