Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repressurizing expansion vessel

When you re-pressurise an expansion vessel in a boiler are you
supposed to leave the drain cock open once you have got the pressure
to 0 bar ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Aug, 19:33, Heliotrope Smith wrote:
VAG_dude wrote in news:bd4932e4-0e04-473a-a550-
:

When you re-pressurise an expansion vessel in a boiler are you
supposed to leave the drain cock open once you have got the pressure
to 0 bar ?

It does not matter if the drain cock is open or closed when pressurising *
the expansion vessel as long as there is zero pressure
in the system whilst this operation is carried out.

Cheers, turns out I had read a rather confusing guide!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"VAG_dude" wrote in message
On 20 Aug, 19:33, Heliotrope Smith wrote:
VAG_dude wrote in news:bd4932e4-0e04-473a-a550-
:

When you re-pressurise an expansion vessel in a boiler are you
supposed to leave the drain cock open once you have got the pressure
to 0 bar ?

It does not matter if the drain cock is open or closed when pressurising
the expansion vessel as long as there is zero pressure
in the system whilst this operation is carried out.

Cheers, turns out I had read a rather confusing guide!

Sorry but it does matter.
When you pressurise the expansion cylinder you want to leave it empty of
water, if you pressurise it while full of water there will be no room for
expansion afterwards.

That is if the system is full of water but at zero pressure the expansion
vessel may still be full of water (there is nowhere for it to go), when you
start to pump in air the pressure will go up but still leave no space for
expansion.

You do need to ensure there is somewhere for the water that may be in the
expansion vessel to go and that is the drain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 20:32:11 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

"VAG_dude" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, that's what I wondered, otherwise one is trying to compress water!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 09:34:52 -0700 (PDT), VAG_dude wrote:

When you re-pressurise an expansion vessel in a boiler are you
supposed to leave the drain cock open once you have got the pressure
to 0 bar ?

By inference, on my Vaillant, with it open; i.e. it doesn't say close it.

"Release the pressure from the boiler as described in Section 7.1.4"
"Check that the internal pressure is... If the pressure is lower than this
the vessel should be repressurised ..."
Refit the valve cap"
"Repressurise boiler and heating system if necessary"

So, no explicit instruction to close the drain point.

I did mine a couple of days ago and it was 12psi with the drain open so no
action necessary, but it'd be interesting to see if it did make a
difference. I suppose that it depends on how much of the volume outside the
inflated part is occupied by air/water.

Had to search for a gauge - the one that I use nowadays starts at 50psi!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Aug, 19:43, PeterC wrote:
[...]

This boiler is a Vaillant Turbomax and I have just re-pressurised the
EV and now it appears the diverter valve is not working as it should
occasionally getting stuck in mid-position! Is this to be expected for
a boiler that is 9 years old?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 11:53:10 -0700 (PDT), VAG_dude wrote:

On 20 Aug, 19:43, PeterC wrote:
[...]

Sorry, don't know. Mine is 10 - 11 yo and, touch wood...
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Sizing an expansion vessel BruceB UK diy 5 March 1st 09 09:39 PM
DHW expansion vessel failed Chris Melluish UK diy 4 December 21st 08 01:30 PM
CH Expansion Vessel Bart UK diy 14 June 6th 06 11:03 PM
CH Expansion Vessel Location [email protected] UK diy 4 October 10th 05 09:27 PM
expansion vessel positioning [email protected] UK diy 4 December 28th 04 11:53 PM