Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Socket set choice advice.....[and Peugeot frustration]

Background...

A couple of months ago I purchased an old but good nick freshly MOT'd
Peugeot 106 in anticipation of my children (multiple) all needing to learn
to drive over the next few years.

It's been in the garage for a couple of months, and I have taken it out
every couple of weeks to keep the battery charged. Yesterday I backed the
car out, and after about 1 metre one of the rear brake drums locked. After
a bit of forward/reversing it freed itself. I tried again today, and it
locked again. very annoying. Needs to be fixed.

Basically I need to whip the drums off, inspect, clean and grease and
possibly change the shoes on these alien (Bendix?) self adjusting brakes.

So for the first time in 25 years I have today dug out my old trolley jack
(still works amazingly), axle stands and other car tools that my father
summarily ejected from his garage and passed back to me in the 1980's only
to discover that I am an AF man in a metric world. I need a 32mm socket to
get the drum off a Peugeot. I don't have any socket that large, let alone a
metric one.

So I am in the market for a metric socket set that goes to at least 32mm,
and I would like to get a decent one before next weekend.

This http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=143082 has caught my eye.

Q. Is Britool a decent brand? Are there any other brands I should be
looking out for?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Aug, 15:53, "Vortex5"
wrote:
[...]

Britool very decent. Also have a look at Teng tools, amongst others.
Or consider just buying the sockets you need piecemeal - ebay is your
friend. The Halfords Pro stuff is quite unexpectedly good, if you need
to buy locally - there's usually some set or other on offer.

French cars need strange tools IME, I've found ratchet spanners
particularly useful, as are deep sockets.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

So I am in the market for a metric socket set that goes to at least 32mm,
and I would like to get a decent one before next weekend.

Thishttp://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=143082has caught my eye.

Q. Is Britool a decent brand? Are there any other brands I should be
looking out for?

David

Britool very decent. Also have a look at Teng tools, amongst others.
Or consider just buying the sockets you need piecemeal - ebay is your
friend. The Halfords Pro stuff is quite unexpectedly good, if you need
to buy locally - there's usually some set or other on offer.

French cars need strange tools IME, I've found ratchet spanners
particularly useful, as are deep sockets.

hmmm.

I purchased my first car in 1977 (1959 mini with no seatbelts and starter
button on the floor). 160 quid.

The socket set that I have must be from then. It was cheapo at the time;
it's incomplete; the sockets are rusty where the chrome has flaked off; the
plastic tray has completely biodegraded (just a tin of sockets); the tommy
bar is bent......so think I'll be going for a full set.

Glad to hear Britool is an OK brand because that deal looks good to me.
revisiting I see this http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=143084
including AF as well for an extra 7 quid. Tempting.

UPDATE I just discovered I have no torque wrench. Must have lent it to
someone and forgotten about it. I always wanted one of those sexy ones
that "clicks".....time to investigate these now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Vortex5"
saying something like:

UPDATE I just discovered I have no torque wrench. Must have lent it to
someone and forgotten about it. I always wanted one of those sexy ones
that "clicks".....time to investigate these now.

One grunt for head bolts, two grunts for lorry wheel nuts, two grunts
and a fart for hub nuts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Vortex5"
saying something like:

UPDATE I just discovered I have no torque wrench. Must have lent it
to someone and forgotten about it. I always wanted one of those
sexy ones that "clicks".....time to investigate these now.

One grunt for head bolts, two grunts for lorry wheel nuts, two grunts
and a fart for hub nuts.

Is that a metric fart or an imperial fart?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 17:40:27 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Vortex5"
saying something like:

UPDATE I just discovered I have no torque wrench. Must have lent it
to someone and forgotten about it. I always wanted one of those
sexy ones that "clicks".....time to investigate these now.

One grunt for head bolts, two grunts for lorry wheel nuts, two grunts
and a fart for hub nuts.

Is that a metric fart or an imperial fart?

S.I.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Grimly
Curmudgeon scribeth thus
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Vortex5"
saying something like:

UPDATE I just discovered I have no torque wrench. Must have lent it to
someone and forgotten about it. I always wanted one of those sexy ones
that "clicks".....time to investigate these now.

One grunt for head bolts, two grunts for lorry wheel nuts, two grunts
and a fart for hub nuts.

Thats about how my dad used to do the nuts and bolts up on Spitfires ..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 17:39:17 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

Thats about how my dad used to do the nuts and bolts up on Spitfires ..

Triumph or Supermarine?

--
John Stumbles

Little Johnny's gone away, his like we'll see no more
For what he thought was H20 was H2SO4
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 17:30:30 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Vortex5"
saying something like:

UPDATE I just discovered I have no torque wrench. Must have lent it to
someone and forgotten about it. I always wanted one of those sexy ones
that "clicks".....time to investigate these now.

One grunt for head bolts, two grunts for lorry wheel nuts, two grunts
and a fart for hub nuts.

The clicky type can go wrong. I borred one for head bolts - got to the
point of second grunt but fart seemed imminent. In view of the risk I
stopped straining.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 15 Aug, 15:53, "Vortex5"
wrote:
[...]

I'd agree about Halfords, good quality stuff. They get a lot of stick for
some reason but I've always found them & their stuff very good.

Avoid the el cheapo Argos stuff. Applied some welly to a stuck nut (just
manual force, didn't whack it), socket deformed & ratchet slipped. It went
back.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vortex5" wrote in message
[...]

Before you get carried away: if your car has been recently mot'd the brakes
ought to be ok. I suggest you start your investigation with the handbrake
cable, for which you may only need spanners and an oil can.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Spamlet wrote:
"Vortex5" wrote in message
[...]

My advice. Buy one good quality socket that fits the job in hand, NOT a
set of dubious ****e that will fail on you when you need it most.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 17:36:57 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

My advice. Buy one good quality socket that fits the job in hand, NOT a
set of dubious ****e that will fail on you when you need it most.

I agree. I bought a cheap socket set when I was 16, as it was all I could
afford. But even then, my plan was gradually to replace the sockets that
I actually used with good ones (Britool as it happened). This was a mixed
AF and metric set, and few of the originals are left. Almost my first
purchase was a good ratchet handle to replace the tin one that came with
the set.

It meant I could buy a set incrementally, and it includes sizes not in
the original set. I still have all of the 'good replacements'. Just no
pretty box.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 17:36:57 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

My advice. Buy one good quality socket that fits the job in hand, NOT a
set of dubious ****e that will fail on you when you need it most.

I agree. I bought a cheap socket set when I was 16, as it was all I could
afford. But even then, my plan was gradually to replace the sockets that
I actually used with good ones (Britool as it happened). This was a mixed
AF and metric set, and few of the originals are left. Almost my first
purchase was a good ratchet handle to replace the tin one that came with
the set.

It meant I could buy a set incrementally, and it includes sizes not in
the original set. I still have all of the 'good replacements'. Just no
pretty box.

Like you, I got my first half inch drive set at 16 and am still using them.
However, I am obviously older than you because when I got mine this new
fangled metric stuff hadn't made it across the channel. My set is combined
AF and Whitworth and it is surprising how often I find, even today, that I
have to use one of the Whitworth sockets. The set is still as good as when
purchased and is made by Gedore. I succumbed to metric many years later
and have a quarter inch drive set that is AF/Metric.
--
Tinkerer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 15, 3:53*pm, "Vortex5"
wrote:
[...]

1/2" tools for 32mm? Very inadequate. Get yourself a 3/4" drive set
minimum.

To use your imperial tools on a metric car:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ize_conversion

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Aug, 20:03, Tabby wrote:
On Aug 15, 3:53*pm, "Vortex5"
wrote:

[...]

1/2 Britool on a hub nut should be fine, 3/4 drive on everything else
be a right pain and expensive.

1/2 drive chunky on smaller and less accesible sizes, 3/8 is nice to
have on sub 20mm.

6 sides, hex sockets for anything that looks at all tight, keep the
star bi-jex sockets for whizzing alreday loose things off.

Halfords pro stuff as good as anyones and lifetime guarantee is
actually useable, that Britool deal is very good for the money get any
odds and sodds extra in Halfords.

Cheers
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

1/2" tools for 32mm? Very inadequate. Get yourself a 3/4" drive set
minimum.

To use your imperial tools on a metric
car:http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ize_conversion

NT

1/2 Britool on a hub nut should be fine, 3/4 drive on everything else
be a right pain and expensive.

1/2 drive chunky on smaller and less accesible sizes, 3/8 is nice to
have on sub 20mm.

6 sides, hex sockets for anything that looks at all tight, keep the
star bi-jex sockets for whizzing alreday loose things off.

Halfords pro stuff as good as anyones and lifetime guarantee is
actually useable, that Britool deal is very good for the money get any
odds and sodds extra in Halfords.

Cheers
Adam

I ordered the Britool set just now.

It would be nice to own a 3/4 inch set but we're talking Peugeot 106 (100 lb
feet), not a Scammell tank transporter hub here.

Unfortunately I have extreme (and probably irrational) prejudice against
Halfords so any extra bits will have to come from elsewhere!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2010 22:09, Vortex5 wrote:

[...]

In that case, I have to assume you know where your local engineers
supply store is. Because, Halfords, being a big name, can't afford to
get a bad reputation for selling crap tools.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

In that case, I have to assume you know where your local engineers
supply store is. Because, Halfords, being a big name, can't afford to
get a bad reputation for selling crap tools.

ROFLMAO!!!!

Just about everything I have bought from halfords has been thrown away
since, in the last 5 years.

They already HAVE that reputation..

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2010 23:04, Dave wrote:

In that case, I have to assume you know where your local engineers
supply store is. Because, Halfords, being a big name, can't afford to
get a bad reputation for selling crap tools.

Is this deliberately comic? Halfords have an appalling reputation.

Bizarrely, there's an exception : their "Professional" range is actually
pretty good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex5 wrote:

[...]

130 lb feet is abut the limit on 1/4".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher
saying something like:

130 lb feet is abut the limit on 1/4".

Super steel?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Vortex5 wrote:
Unfortunately I have extreme (and probably irrational) prejudice against
Halfords so any extra bits will have to come from elsewhere!

Up to you, but Halfords Pro tools are excellent quality and value -
especially with a Halfords trade card. Also means you can pick them up as
and when required.

--
*Two silk worms had a race. They ended up in a tie*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 15, 10:09*pm, "Vortex5"
wrote:

I ordered the Britool set just now.

Well, that sorts that out and you won't be disappointed with Britool

It would be nice to own a 3/4 inch set but we're talking Peugeot 106 (100 lb
feet), not a Scammell tank transporter hub here.

Make sure you buy a big breaker bar, though.

Unfortunately I have extreme (and probably irrational) prejudice against
Halfords so any extra bits will have to come from elsewhere!

As has been pointed out, there is an exception and it's their tools
from the "Halfords Professional" range. With seven sons, most of them
into rebuilding LandRovers, there are quite a number of complete
socket sets, quite apart from hundreds of odd sockets and spanners.
Many different makes. Without any doubt, the best sets are the two
"Halfords Professional" socket sets. Everyone here who's commended
them is in agreement that most of what Halfords sell is rubbish. It
just so happens that the quality of their "professional" range is very
good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
John MacLeod wrote:
Unfortunately I have extreme (and probably irrational) prejudice
against Halfords so any extra bits will have to come from elsewhere!

As has been pointed out, there is an exception and it's their tools
from the "Halfords Professional" range. With seven sons, most of them
into rebuilding LandRovers, there are quite a number of complete
socket sets, quite apart from hundreds of odd sockets and spanners.
Many different makes. Without any doubt, the best sets are the two
"Halfords Professional" socket sets. Everyone here who's commended
them is in agreement that most of what Halfords sell is rubbish. It
just so happens that the quality of their "professional" range is very
good.

Indeed. I've also found their batteries ok. And lots of the other stuff
they sell - it happens they have a convenient (for me) store with car
park, so if I want a particular brand of anything they sell why would I
waste petrol going further to possibly save a few pennies?

The OP's comment reminded me of Mr Firth and Lidl olive oil. Rubbishing a
company because one product in their range was in his opinion poor or
whatever.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 15, 9:38*pm, Adam Aglionby wrote:
On 15 Aug, 20:03, Tabby wrote:

On Aug 15, 3:53*pm, "Vortex5"
wrote:

[...]

3/4" drive is for the big stuff, not for everything. I found from
experience you dont shift that kind of size using 1/2"

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Tabby wrote:
On Aug 15, 9:38 pm, Adam Aglionby wrote:
On 15 Aug, 20:03, Tabby wrote:

On Aug 15, 3:53 pm, "Vortex5"
wrote:

[...]

Nothing on any car I've worked on needs 3/4 drive. That's for trucks.

NT

--
*I love cats...they taste just like chicken.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 16, 10:10*am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* *Tabby wrote:

On Aug 15, 9:38 pm, Adam Aglionby wrote:
On 15 Aug, 20:03, Tabby wrote:

On Aug 15, 3:53 pm, "Vortex5"
wrote:

[...]

2 or 3 of mine have.
The first half inch failure I dont remember what part it was, too long
ago
The 2nd was apx 32mm hub nuts on a van
The 3rd was a timing belt pulley that required very high torque, and
of course was much tighter to undo than to torque up

3/4" drive isnt exactly first socket set material, but on 32mm nuts
it's what I'd use. A 3/4 set isnt particularly expensive.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2010 15:53, Vortex5 wrote:
[...]

Buy the bigger sockets one at a time as you need to use them. Buy the
lesser sizes the same way until you get down to about 19mm and even
that, I would buy as a one off.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I forgot to add, buy a tee bar and try and find a length of tubing to go
over the end of the tee bar for extra purchase. Don't try this when
using a ratchet.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave wrote:
So I am in the market for a metric socket set that goes to at least
32mm, and I would like to get a decent one before next weekend.

I forgot to add, buy a tee bar and try and find a length of tubing to go
over the end of the tee bar for extra purchase. Don't try this when
using a ratchet.

A breaker bar is more used for undoing tight stuff. Extending a T bar is
likely to bend it.

--
*You can't teach an old mouse new clicks *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 15:53:23 +0100, Vortex5 wrote:

So I am in the market for a metric socket set that goes to at least
32mm, and I would like to get a decent one before next weekend.

32 mm is BIG. Get a more resonable ranged set and a one off 32mm
socket.

This http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=143082 has caught my eye.

Only goes down to 8mm, small bolts can be 6mm and how often does one
really use anything over 20mm? I've a "Clarke Pro" (aka MachineMart)
set that does 6 to 19mm, I don't think I've ever used anything over
15mm but the 6,7,8,10 have all been used...

tooledup.com can be accessed via Quidco for a 5% cashback.

Aldle have a torque wrench on offer occasionally, around £20 IIRC,
does the bussiness, it's one of the "clicky" ones rather than bendy
bar an pointer.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 15:53:23 +0100, Vortex5 wrote:

So I am in the market for a metric socket set that goes to at least
32mm, and I would like to get a decent one before next weekend.

32 mm is BIG. Get a more resonable ranged set and a one off 32mm
socket.

No 3" is BIG.

32mm is 'medium'
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Aug, 22:44, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
[...]

6mm pretty rare on a car or on a bike, that sort of size a cheap 1/4
drive set is handy, limit to how tight a 6mm head will be before
snapping.

8, 10, 12, 13 cars, 14 bikes, 17 ,19 all used a lot.

9,11,15,16,18 really rare to come across, apart from 9 as hammer on
fit for rounded 10.

Britool make the finest torque wrenches but at a price, think Norbar
is still about, bit more economical.

Set of combi spanners will do you well as well, Britool, Facom,Bahco,
Beta , King Dick , Elora , Gedore , Draper Pro all worth looking on
Ebay for if really won`t do Halfords, forget the Snap On hype.

Set of decent Torx insert bits for your socket set.

Decent screwdrivers, Wera and Wiha.

Any tool that fits into a fastener really is worth spending a bit on,
saves an awful lot of swearing.

Cheers
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Vortex5 wrote:
So I am in the market for a metric socket set that goes to at least
32mm, and I would like to get a decent one before next weekend.

32mm is rather larger than most 'car' socket sets go up to, and the others
round about that size are likely to go unused. So get a standard one and
just buy that sort of size when needed.

FWIW, I find a 3/8in drive set the most use around the car, so a good one
of those plus 1/2in bits where needed would be the most economical way.
Halfords Pro stuff is good, surprisingly.

--
*When blondes have more fun, do they know it?