Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Slightly OT. Advice regarding tiller/rotavator hire and choice

Approx a year ago I removed a fair sized pine tree (about roof height)
from the front garden.

Is it worth rotavating the remaining soil in the hope of reclaiming the
area as a flower bed? The 'soil' is chalk with a layer of clay above.
It's fairly disturbed where I extracted the tree roots but solid
around the undistured areas.

I have at least one full compost bin whose contents I could incorporate
into the bed.

The DIY slant is the use of a powered labour saving tool as a preference
to back breaking digging.

TIA

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:
Approx a year ago I removed a fair sized pine tree (about roof height)
from the front garden.

Is it worth rotavating the remaining soil in the hope of reclaiming the
area as a flower bed? The 'soil' is chalk with a layer of clay above.
It's fairly disturbed where I extracted the tree roots but solid around
the undistured areas.

I have at least one full compost bin whose contents I could incorporate
into the bed.

The DIY slant is the use of a powered labour saving tool as a preference
to back breaking digging.

Rotovators are VERY phyiiscal, but they do do the job of breaking up
compacted soil and distrbuting organic and other materails well.

TIA

Richard

Advice on spray gun choice Neil UK diy 5 March 7th 07 07:50 PM
Landmaster rotavator robgraham UK diy 3 January 28th 07 11:51 PM
Rotavator Engine Leveled UK diy 0 July 2nd 06 01:04 PM
Slightly OT - Rotavator Hire arse UK diy 2 August 16th 05 06:37 PM
Half Price Hire & Sales from HSS Hire Dr-E UK diy 2 January 6th 05 11:50 PM