Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT car insurance

received my invitation to renew at approx 33% more than last time - no
claims or anything "worse".

As usual checked moneyysupermarket and confused etc and found no
better - BUT out of interest changed level of cover quoted from "comp"
to "3rd party" and the premiums *increased* by 25%?

how come then?

any recommendations for (ideally) online insurers these days?

Cheers
Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 11:49:23 +0100, Andy Cap
wrote:

Try Aviva

Agreed, last year when Kwik Fit wanted close to £600 to renew, Aviva
came in at just over £200 for the same cover.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Aug, 11:49, Andy Cap wrote:

Try Aviva

for similar cover = +25% over renewal charge with Esure :(

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 05:43:14 -0700 (PDT), Jim K wrote:

for similar cover = +25% over renewal charge with Esure :(

Jim K

Looks like we're all in for a shock, next time around ! What with more and more
uninsured youngsters, staged accidents raking in millions and accident chasing
lawyers, it's not looking good.

I was recently hit by an even older guy at a roundabout and was subsequently
plagued by people trying to get me to say I was injured. It's immoral, but about
par for the course in modern day Britain, sad to say.

Andy C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 14, 1:06 am, Andy Cap wrote:

Looks like we're all in for a shock, next time around ! What with more and more
uninsured youngsters, staged accidents raking in millions and accident chasing
lawyers, it's not looking good.

I was recently hit by an even older guy at a roundabout and was subsequently
plagued by people trying to get me to say I was injured. It's immoral, but about
par for the course in modern day Britain, sad to say.

Get your government to install a no-fault accident scheme like that in
NZ. Then there are no legal fees. Everybody gets medical treatment,
even the tourists, no matter who was to blame.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2010 22:17, Matty F wrote:
On Aug 14, 1:06 am, Andy wrote:

Looks like we're all in for a shock, next time around ! What with more and more
uninsured youngsters, staged accidents raking in millions and accident chasing
lawyers, it's not looking good.

I was recently hit by an even older guy at a roundabout and was subsequently
plagued by people trying to get me to say I was injured. It's immoral, but about
par for the course in modern day Britain, sad to say.

Get your government to install a no-fault accident scheme like that in
NZ. Then there are no legal fees. Everybody gets medical treatment,
even the tourists, no matter who was to blame.

We get that via the National Health Service, but what is being discussed
is the injury compensation culture that has crossed the Atlantic Ocean
to this country.

We have lots of ambulance chasing solicitors who act on a no win, no fee
basis. Essentially, they are the lowest form of life on the planet.
Get involved in a shunt that was not your fault, claim whiplash injuries
etc. There is a huge industry with immigrants purposely casing accidents
on the roads and claiming huge amounts off the other parties insurance.

Over here, you often come across signs that read something like...
Warning, slippery floor.
Now is that down to the floor being genuinely slippery, or is it down
the the walker wearing the wrong footwear? Invariably it is the floor
owner who takes the blame.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Aug, 11:32, Jim K wrote:
received my invitation to renew at approx 33% more than last time - no
claims or anything "worse".

As usual checked moneyysupermarket and confused etc and found no
better - BUT out of interest changed level of cover quoted from "comp"
to "3rd party" and the premiums *increased* by 25%?

how come then?

any recommendations for (ideally) online insurers these days?

Cheers
Jim K

I've seen that higher-quote for TPFT compared to comp thing too.

After a few years shopping about on insurance for my van (SDP & work
use) - I've gone back to using Norwich Union/Aviva directly.

Although I got initially cheaper online deals elsewhere - I found them
backloaded with extortionate extra charges for any amendments, along
with sharp practices and not-so-great customer services.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
received my invitation to renew at approx 33% more than last time - no
claims or anything "worse".

As usual checked moneyysupermarket and confused etc and found no
better - BUT out of interest changed level of cover quoted from "comp"
to "3rd party" and the premiums *increased* by 25%?

how come then?

Theory goes that if you don't care about comp. on your car, then you
don't care about anybody else's car/life/garden wall either.

Increasing the excess can sometimes significantly reduce the premium.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Osborne wrote:
Jim K wrote:
received my invitation to renew at approx 33% more than last time - no
claims or anything "worse".

As usual checked moneyysupermarket and confused etc and found no
better - BUT out of interest changed level of cover quoted from "comp"
to "3rd party" and the premiums *increased* by 25%?

how come then?

Theory goes that if you don't care about comp. on your car, then you
don't care about anybody else's car/life/garden wall either.

Increasing the excess can sometimes significantly reduce the premium.

My daughter insurance quote went up from under £300 to over £1000. A lot
of insurance companies give a discount for first time buyers, then try
on a huge jump the next year. shop around, and Go Compare etc only use
selected companies that pay them a premium. I ended up getting the best
from First Direct, but you need to try lots as they vary according to
your post code.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Broadback
scribeth thus
Dave Osborne wrote:
Jim K wrote:
[...]

You might try a local insurance broker we once went online and it was a
real PITA dealing with distant call centres, but our local lot have done
very well and been very competitive...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Broadback
scribeth thus
Dave Osborne wrote:
Jim K wrote:
[...]

Well, you got me thinking I might be missing a trick so I just nipped
out to see if my local broker round the corner could better the renewal
quote I've just got from Aviva (see other post), having just added my
second teenager :-(.

Aviva's quote was 1,194 GBP (this is fully comp, full NCD - yes,
protected(!) - for a 3-yr-old Nissan Note; guess what the broker's best
quote was?)

A little north of 17,000 GBP... think I'll stick with Aviva!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You might try a local insurance broker we once went online and it was a
real PITA dealing with distant call centres, but our local lot have done
very well and been very competitive...

Well, you got me thinking I might be missing a trick so I just nipped
out to see if my local broker round the corner could better the renewal
quote I've just got from Aviva (see other post), having just added my
second teenager :-(.

Aviva's quote was 1,194 GBP (this is fully comp, full NCD - yes,
protected(!) - for a 3-yr-old Nissan Note; guess what the broker's best
quote was?)

A little north of 17,000 GBP... think I'll stick with Aviva!

David

I should find a competent broker if I were you!......

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Broadback
scribeth thus
Dave Osborne wrote:
Jim K wrote:
[...]

£1,194. Are you serious?
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2010 11:32, Jim K wrote:
received my invitation to renew at approx 33% more than last time - no
claims or anything "worse".

As usual checked moneyysupermarket and confused etc and found no
better - BUT out of interest changed level of cover quoted from "comp"
to "3rd party" and the premiums *increased* by 25%?

how come then?

any recommendations for (ideally) online insurers these days?

Cheers
Jim K

I always use a broker, Academy. They only ever fail to get the best
quote when I find a 'special one-year-type' offer and even then are
sometimes better. They are very efficient and speedy. I have recommended
them to loads of people and heard no complaints yet. 0118 9586777. No
connection apart from as customer.

Peter Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
received my invitation to renew at approx 33% more than last time - no
claims or anything "worse".

As usual checked moneyysupermarket and confused etc and found no
better - BUT out of interest changed level of cover quoted from "comp"
to "3rd party" and the premiums *increased* by 25%?

how come then?

any recommendations for (ideally) online insurers these days?

Cheers
Jim K

Last year with MoreThan (stupid bleedin' name if you ask me) was £425.
Renewal due 29th June was £435 (including a 10% discount for LPG) - that's
for a 52-year old with full NCB (protected) and driving a 52-plate 3.0 V6
auto, with wife as a named driver and business use for her. Couldn't get it
any cheaper so I renewed with them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

Last year with MoreThan (stupid bleedin' name if you ask me) was £425.
Renewal due 29th June was £435 (including a 10% discount for LPG) -
that's for a 52-year old with full NCB (protected) and driving a
52-plate 3.0 V6 auto, with wife as a named driver and business use
for her. Couldn't get it any cheaper so I renewed with them.

There's no such thing as 'protected NCB' - it's a con thought up by suits to
fleece people out of their hard earned.
What happens is this: you have 8 years NCB, 'protected' with say, Direct
Line, and you have an accident.
The following year's renewal is massively increased, you complain, they say,
'all insurance has gone up, you've not lost your NCB, it's just a 'natural'
price rise'. You threaten to go elsewhere and they say 'ok', and when you
do, you've got *no* NCB because you had a crash last year.

It's only protected as long as you stay with them, and if you *have* to stay
with them, they *will* charge you what they like, believe me, I've seen it
happen loads of times, it's just an added bonus for the insurer, you don't
get anything whatsoever out of the deal.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
John wrote:

Last year with MoreThan (stupid bleedin' name if you ask me) was £425.
Renewal due 29th June was £435 (including a 10% discount for LPG) -
that's for a 52-year old with full NCB (protected) and driving a
52-plate 3.0 V6 auto, with wife as a named driver and business use
for her. Couldn't get it any cheaper so I renewed with them.

There's no such thing as 'protected NCB' - it's a con thought up by suits to
fleece people out of their hard earned.
What happens is this: you have 8 years NCB, 'protected' with say, Direct
Line, and you have an accident.
The following year's renewal is massively increased, you complain, they say,
'all insurance has gone up, you've not lost your NCB, it's just a 'natural'
price rise'. You threaten to go elsewhere and they say 'ok', and when you
do, you've got *no* NCB because you had a crash last year.

Well I do recall some years back changing SWMBOs insurance company in
the year after a claim, and she did transfer her full maximum NCB across
from the old company (who'd paid the claim).

I expect the new company's premium will have been inflated a bit due to
the prior claim (which of course was declared to them); but nothing like
what it would have been without the full NCB.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Phil L wrote:
John wrote:

[...]

That's what I'm saying - as far as the new insurance company is concerned,
she hasn't got any NCB as she made a claim in the past 12 months!! - of
course they'll 'honour' the worthless piece of paper that says she has
maximum ncb, because they're all ****ing in the same pot, but her premium
would have been exactly the same without it.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Lobster wrote:
Phil L wrote:
John wrote:

[...]

I never protect my NCB for exactly that reason (plus the silly amount that
they want to "protect" the NCB).

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Lobster wrote:
Phil L wrote:
John wrote:

[...]

I can't recall all the details of the companies and premiums now; but do
recall looking into all this (in particular the worth of paying for NCD
protection) and am quite sure that had we not had the worthless bit of
paper the premium would have been way higher. There may or may not have
been a small loading on the basic premium for having made a claim; but
nothing like as much as the amount a 60%(?) NCD saved us.

But I won't argue with you as I don't have all the info to hand... ;-)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/10 15:14, Phil L wrote:

protected NCB

It's only protected as long as you stay with them, and if you *have* to stay
with them, they *will* charge you what they like, believe me, I've seen it
happen loads of times, it's just an added bonus for the insurer, you don't
get anything whatsoever out of the deal.

Rubbish, I've transferred insurers many times over the last 5 years despite
having an at-fault accident and my protected NCB has always moved with me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Aug, 16:13, funkyoldcortina wrote:
On 13/08/10 15:14, Phil L wrote:

protected NCB

It's only protected as long as you stay with them, and if you *have* to stay
with them, they *will* charge you what they like, believe me, I've seen it
happen loads of times, it's just an added bonus for the insurer, you don't
get anything whatsoever out of the deal.

Rubbish, I've transferred insurers many times over the last 5 years despite
having an at-fault accident and my protected NCB has always moved with me.

me too i think;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Jim
K writes
On 13 Aug, 16:13, funkyoldcortina wrote:
On 13/08/10 15:14, Phil L wrote:

protected NCB

It's only protected as long as you stay with them, and if you
*have* to stay
with them, they *will* charge you what they like, believe me, I've seen it
happen loads of times, it's just an added bonus for the insurer, you don't
get anything whatsoever out of the deal.

Rubbish, I've transferred insurers many times over the last 5 years despite
having an at-fault accident and my protected NCB has always moved with me.

me too i think;)

Phil's argument seems to be that the new company will quote you the same
as if you had not had all that NCB (if it hadn't been protected) they
will just pretend that they are discounting the premium by the relevant
amount for the full amount of NCB.

It doesn't seem to hold true though (for a sample of 1, )

I've just renewed, and went back to one of the saved quotes I hadn't
used.

The initial quote was £265, with 9 years NCB (75% reduction), no claims
in the last 5 years.

Inserting a claim for £800 for hitting an immobile object increased the
premium to £299 (about 13%, not unreasonable I guess) , reducing the NCB
to 4 years increased the premium to £351. So Phils's theory didn't seem
to hold here
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

funkyoldcortina wrote:
On 13/08/10 15:14, Phil L wrote:

protected NCB

It's only protected as long as you stay with them, and if you *have*
to stay with them, they *will* charge you what they like, believe
me, I've seen it happen loads of times, it's just an added bonus for
the insurer, you don't get anything whatsoever out of the deal.

Rubbish, I've transferred insurers many times over the last 5 years
despite having an at-fault accident and my protected NCB has always
moved with me.

And your premium has gone up as a result.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
funkyoldcortina wrote:
On 13/08/10 15:14, Phil L wrote:

protected NCB

It's only protected as long as you stay with them, and if you *have*
to stay with them, they *will* charge you what they like, believe
me, I've seen it happen loads of times, it's just an added bonus for
the insurer, you don't get anything whatsoever out of the deal.

Rubbish, I've transferred insurers many times over the last 5 years
despite having an at-fault accident and my protected NCB has always
moved with me.

And your premium has gone up as a result.

My protected NCB was transfered with me after my fault claim. So was the
increased premium.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
funkyoldcortina wrote:
On 13/08/10 15:14, Phil L wrote:

protected NCB

It's only protected as long as you stay with them, and if you *have*
to stay with them, they *will* charge you what they like, believe
me, I've seen it happen loads of times, it's just an added bonus for
the insurer, you don't get anything whatsoever out of the deal.

Rubbish, I've transferred insurers many times over the last 5 years
despite having an at-fault accident and my protected NCB has always
moved with me.

And your premium has gone up as a result.

Sorry Phil, that's not right. The most likely reason to move insurers is for
a cheaper quote to save money. Having an 'at fault' accident but protected
NCB certainly didn't stop a new insurer giving a cheaper quote than staying
with existing and renewing with them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/10 16:20, Phil L wrote:
funkyoldcortina wrote:
On 13/08/10 15:14, Phil L wrote:

protected NCB

It's only protected as long as you stay with them, and if you *have*
to stay with them, they *will* charge you what they like, believe
me, I've seen it happen loads of times, it's just an added bonus for
the insurer, you don't get anything whatsoever out of the deal.

Rubbish, I've transferred insurers many times over the last 5 years
despite having an at-fault accident and my protected NCB has always
moved with me.

And your premium has gone up as a result.

Well duh, that's because the accident put me in a higher risk bracket. That's
not the same as losing your NCB.

£205 fully comp with guaranteed courtesy car, legal protection, protected NCB
on a Ford Focus. Can't say I'm particularly troubled by that!

Tip for you as well, insurance brands operated by RBS Insurance (UKI
partnerships) such as egg, churchill, direct line, natwest, prudential etc.
will only ask for details of your last 3 years worth of claims and not 5....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 13/08/2010 15:14, Phil L wrote:

There's no such thing as 'protected NCB' - it's a con thought up by suits to
fleece people out of their hard earned.

Whether it's worth it or not I always have protected NCB (only cost £10
extra on policy so seemed silly not to really), had an own-fault claim
last year, this years renewal has just come through at exactly the same
price as last year.
Seems fairy snuff to me.

Lee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Jim
K writes
received my invitation to renew at approx 33% more than last time - no
claims or anything "worse".

As usual checked moneyysupermarket and confused etc and found no
better - BUT out of interest changed level of cover quoted from "comp"
to "3rd party" and the premiums *increased* by 25%?

how come then?

any recommendations for (ideally) online insurers these days?

Currently just took out new policy with Greenbee.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Aug, 15:01, chris French
wrote:
In message
, Jim
K writes

received my invitation to renew at approx 33% more than last time - no
claims or anything "worse".

As usual checked moneyysupermarket and confused etc and found no
better - BUT out of interest changed level of cover quoted from "comp"
to "3rd party" and the premiums *increased* by 25%?

how come then?

any recommendations for (ideally) online insurers these days?

Currently just took out new policy with Greenbee.

quote almost double!!
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Aug, 11:32, Jim K wrote:
received my invitation to renew at approx 33% more than last time - no
claims or anything "worse".

As usual checked moneyysupermarket and confused etc and found no
better - BUT out of interest changed level of cover quoted from "comp"
to "3rd party" and the premiums *increased* by 25%?

how come then?

any recommendations for (ideally) online insurers these days?

Cheers
Jim K

The reason is mostly to do with uninsured drivers. We all end up
paying for them. I have a small four door hatch & pay just over £200
comp. I haven't had and accident in forty years. I'm with RIAS.
They specialise in over 50's. There's gotta be some advantage to
being an old fart. You can get a reduction if you limit your mileage,
so if you don't do much, tell them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On 13 Aug, 11:32, Jim K wrote:
received my invitation to renew at approx 33% more than last time -
no claims or anything "worse".

As usual checked moneyysupermarket and confused etc and found no
better - BUT out of interest changed level of cover quoted from
"comp" to "3rd party" and the premiums *increased* by 25%?

how come then?

any recommendations for (ideally) online insurers these days?

Cheers
Jim K

The reason is mostly to do with uninsured drivers.

Is it ****.

It is to do with compensation claims.

A fat chav gets a small rear end shunt and suddenly claims that she cannot
lift her head back far enough to pour McDonalds food(1) down her throat and
then gets a "no win no fee" solicitor to sue the driver that shunted her
car.

(1) Food but not as we know it.

And yes, 30 years ago I sued a motorist after I was knocked over. But I was
seriously injured.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 08:31:01 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

I'm with RIAS. They specialise in over 50's. There's gotta be some advantage to
being an old fart. You can get a reduction if you limit your mileage,
so if you don't do much, tell them.

ALL insurance companies know you're over 50 and less of a risk, until you get to
70, then it starts going up again. Like Saga, it's just a marketing ploy and
yes, I have previoulsy been with both *when* they've been cheapest.

Andy C
Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"Jim K" wrote in message
received my invitation to renew at approx 33% more than last time - no
claims or anything "worse".

As usual checked moneyysupermarket and confused etc and found no
better - BUT out of interest changed level of cover quoted from "comp"
to "3rd party" and the premiums *increased* by 25%?

how come then?

Many insurers now only offer NCD on Fully Comp. The big losses on claims are
third party injuries, so if you don't value your car enough to insure it,
you may be a more reckless driver and put others at more risk.

Call your insurer and ask them for "their best price before you look
elsewhere". It worked with my home insurance, which got me a £100
reduction. I then took it off monthly payments which saved another 10%.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2010 20:18, OG wrote:
"Jim wrote in message
received my invitation to renew at approx 33% more than last time - no
claims or anything "worse".

As usual checked moneyysupermarket and confused etc and found no
better - BUT out of interest changed level of cover quoted from "comp"
to "3rd party" and the premiums *increased* by 25%?

how come then?

Many insurers now only offer NCD on Fully Comp. The big losses on claims are
third party injuries, so if you don't value your car enough to insure it,
you may be a more reckless driver and put others at more risk.

I've been TPFT for many years now (car is worth peanuts, if I break it
even if it was FC it wouldn't be worth a claim), and never had a problem
with NCD - always been quoted at least something, and generally none of
the "**** right off" quotes you can get.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

any recommendations for (ideally) online insurers these days?

Further thoughts...

Another not-so-wellkown wheeze - adding a second driver to a policy can
often *reduce* the premium. When my mum received her renewal premium
she rang her insurer to notify them she no longer needed a named driver
on the policy (ie my dad, who had died during that year) expecting the
premium to go down a bit as a result. Instead, it went *up* quite a
bit; only to be reduced again by adding me as named driver instead!

All about reduced risk if there are two drivers, eg one can take over of
the other's tired I suppose.

Oner thing I like about using on-line quote services is that you can so
easily vary the criteria you've entered to see the effect on premium.

Also - don't forget about using cashback sites like Quidco when buying
any insurance policies - eg, story of someone managing to get a fully
comp policy for 96p/year:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/insurance/2009/10/i-bought-car-insurance-for-96p

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/10 12:59, Lobster wrote:

Also - don't forget about using cashback sites like Quidco when buying any
insurance policies - eg, story of someone managing to get a fully comp policy
for 96p/year:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/insurance/2009/10/i-bought-car-insurance-for-96p

Too true. A couple of years back I paid a net of £75 for a year's worth of
fully comp insurance and breakdown cover thanks to cashback.

This year there were no good cashback deals but I got my existing insurer to
give me a loyalty discount knocking the original £275 renewal down to £205,
which beat all but 3 of the 60-odd quotes I got through gocompare and
comparethemarket. And gocompare paid me £1.50 just for getting quotes through
them!