Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wood for small outside door

I want to make a door for a small (3ft x 3ft) opening outdoors
under some outdoor steps.

What is the best wood to use?
Will 5-ply wood be appropriate,
or would it disintegrate under damp?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Aug, 22:42, Timothy Murphy wrote:
I want to make a door for a small (3ft x 3ft) opening outdoors
under some outdoor steps.

What is the best wood to use?

What you can get, what will last, what you can afford, what you can
work.

3' square will need some framing, either round the edge in a square or
else Z-shaped, so the "covering" could easily be quite thin ply - 1/2"
or so and taking its strength from the frame.

Will 5-ply wood be appropriate,

Exterior ply would work, but it must be a good grade (there are many
grades of "exterior") and I'd still coat the edges with epoxy resin.
It's expensive to buy, so I'd use it if I had it, but might not want
to buy a fresh sheet for this one-off.

Personally I'd probably make a classic "braced and ledged door", only
smaller. I'd use larch, because it's weather resistant, cheapish and I
have a good supplier locally. You might consider Douglas Fir or some
of the heftier cedars. What you most need is a real timberyard, not
just a builder's merchant.

The Z frame is most of the strength, but not all of it and it does
rely on the vertical matchboards for some rigidity. So screw these
together, don't just nail them. Alternatively nail them with clenched
nails (Nails long enough to stick through by an inch, then bent into a
U with big pliers and hammered flat into the back of the timber,
across the grain.) Make the matchboards half-lapped and only fasten
them along one of their edges (the edge with the outer half of the
lap) so that they can move a little with moisture changes. Don't set
them right close together either, allow at least 5% expansion room.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 23:42:03 +0200, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

I want to make a door for a small (3ft x 3ft) opening outdoors
under some outdoor steps.

What is the best wood to use?
Will 5-ply wood be appropriate,
or would it disintegrate under damp?

Pitch Pine would sound appropriate.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I want to make a door for a small (3ft x 3ft) opening outdoors
under some outdoor steps.

What is the best wood to use?
Will 5-ply wood be appropriate,
or would it disintegrate under damp?

Pitch Pine would sound appropriate.

Iroko would be another good choice. Sometime known as poor mans teak, it
is not too expensive and stocked by most good timber merchants (not the
sheds!!).

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Aug, 22:42, Timothy Murphy wrote:
I want to make a door for a small (3ft x 3ft) opening outdoors
under some outdoor steps.

What is the best wood to use?
Will 5-ply wood be appropriate,
or would it disintegrate under damp?

One of the many uses for old floorboards.

Cheers
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2010 12:08, geraldthehamster wrote:
On 9 Aug, 22:42, Timothy wrote:
I want to make a door for a small (3ft x 3ft) opening outdoors
under some outdoor steps.

What is the best wood to use?
Will 5-ply wood be appropriate,
or would it disintegrate under damp?

One of the many uses for old floorboards.

Cheers
Richard

Shed/fencing treated timber might be ok for a rustic look.

Small door stryped[_3_] Home Repair 21 August 8th 10 01:12 AM
Small garage door Gordon Shumway Home Repair 4 September 7th 09 07:28 AM
Solid wood door (double door) MiamiCuse Home Repair 4 October 24th 08 07:34 PM
Shaving Door by small amount [email protected] Home Repair 25 December 13th 06 03:17 AM
Door opener/closer for small (12" square?) door [email protected] UK diy 10 May 24th 05 10:58 AM