Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default plaster and plasterboard disposal?

Hi,

When I was reading-up on how to plaster, I found some government web
site that said plasterboard should not be land filled and should be
kept separate from other waste. What's so terrible about plasterboard
that it needs to be handled separately?

Does this only apply to builders and tradesmen using commercial
quantities or does it also apply to the public? Will I get arrested
for putting an off cut in my wheelie bin?!

Can I also ask, how do you dispose of the washout from when you have
cleaned your bucket, hawk, trowel, etc? We've recently had a blocked
drain so I was concerned that if I poured it away, it might block the
drain. I think I read a thread here where someone wanted to pour
plaster on his garden to improve the soil. Do you throw your slurry on
the flowerbed? When we had a professional plasterer, I am sure I
remember him washing his tools in the street but don't remember him
having much mess. Perhaps that's the difference between a DIY beginner
and a pro?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote in message
[...]

When I went to my local tip with among other things about two sq. ft of
plaster board, I was stopped. Had to put it in a special skip and was given
a receipt.
didn't charge me anything but I thought it was all getting a bit silly.

Apparently it goes back to British Gypsum to be ground up and re-used.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
Hi,

When I was reading-up on how to plaster, I found some government web
site that said plasterboard should not be land filled and should be
kept separate from other waste. What's so terrible about plasterboard
that it needs to be handled separately?

Does this only apply to builders and tradesmen using commercial
quantities or does it also apply to the public? Will I get arrested
for putting an off cut in my wheelie bin?!

you can put it in a skip, wheely bin or any such similar receptical.
If you take it to the local dump, they have seperate skips for gypsum, hard
core, metal, wood, batteries, tyres etc and this is so they can get their
recycling quotas up.
If you have lots of bagged rubbish with mixed stuff in you just lob it into
the non recyclable waste skip and everyone's happy

Can I also ask, how do you dispose of the washout from when you have
cleaned your bucket, hawk, trowel, etc? We've recently had a blocked
drain so I was concerned that if I poured it away, it might block the
drain. I think I read a thread here where someone wanted to pour
plaster on his garden to improve the soil. Do you throw your slurry on
the flowerbed? When we had a professional plasterer, I am sure I
remember him washing his tools in the street but don't remember him
having much mess. Perhaps that's the difference between a DIY beginner
and a pro?

TIA

solids go in bin, liquid on the garden, it's gypsum, IE school chalk, it
does no harm to plants etc, is non toxic and washes into soil harmlessly, if
you pour it down the drain though, it sets in the bottom of the trap

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 30, 4:53*pm, Fred wrote:
[...]

the garden's fine.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Fred wrote:
[...]

Until you pour brick acid on it, that is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
What's so terrible about plasterboard
that it needs to be handled separately?

Apparently when dumped in lanfilf gypsum ( calcium sulphate) products
decompose with any vegetable matter and produce hydrogen sulphide. Apart
from being poisonous H2S reacts with ironwork and if the biogas being
produced by the landfill is being vented via a flare or power generation
equipment it reduces the life of the plant. I remeber the large landfill
gas generators at Redhill suffered badly from sulphurous acid attacking the
exhausts.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"andrew" wrote in message
Fred wrote:
What's so terrible about plasterboard
that it needs to be handled separately?

Apparently when dumped in lanfilf gypsum ( calcium sulphate) products
decompose with any vegetable matter and produce hydrogen sulphide. Apart
from being poisonous H2S reacts with ironwork and if the biogas being
produced by the landfill is being vented via a flare or power generation
equipment it reduces the life of the plant. I remeber the large landfill
gas generators at Redhill suffered badly from sulphurous acid attacking
the
exhausts.

AJH

Hmm: interesting. The brick pits through Mid Beds, have clay which includes
both pyrites and gypsum. Even though when one collects the pyrites it often
starts to break down, producing sulphuric acid, i.e. once it is exposed to
the air. Therefore, anaerobically (in landfill), I would have thought the
tendency was for these materials to be *produced*: not broken down: acid
reacts with animal shells and bones to produce phosphates and sulphates.
But chemistry is full of surprises...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 17:06:46 +0100, "Phil L"
wrote:

you can put it in a skip, wheely bin or any such similar receptical.
If you take it to the local dump, they have seperate skips for gypsum, hard
core, metal, wood, batteries, tyres etc and this is so they can get their
recycling quotas up.
If you have lots of bagged rubbish with mixed stuff in you just lob it into
the non recyclable waste skip and everyone's happy

I sometimes wonder whether the good of me going to the tip and
recycling my rubbish is outweighed by the bad of the diesel burnt on
the twenty mile return journey there and back.

We had a newsletter saying there was now a plasterboard skip but it
was locked and hidden. I had to ask where it was and then sign a form
with my name, address, postcode, colour of my car, make of my car,
model of my car, registration number. There is less security at an
airport!

No wonder I spotted someone with a car-load of plasterboard discretely
putting it in the non-recyclable skip!

solids go in bin, liquid on the garden, it's gypsum,

Is anything added to it to make the different types of plaster, or is
that simply due to particle size?

IE school chalk, it
does no harm to plants etc, is non toxic and washes into soil harmlessly, if
you pour it down the drain though, it sets in the bottom of the trap

If you have already got clay soil, will it make things even worse?!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

solids go in bin, liquid on the garden, it's gypsum,

Is anything added to it to make the different types of plaster, or is
that simply due to particle size?

IE school chalk, it
does no harm to plants etc, is non toxic and washes into soil harmlessly, if
you pour it down the drain though, it sets in the bottom of the trap

If you have already got clay soil, will it make things even worse?!

It is clay soil that benefits from gypsum.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fred writes:

Is anything added to it to make the different types of plaster, or is
that simply due to particle size?

Finish coat is finest.
Browning is I think just a courser version, but apparently hardly
anyone uses it nowadays (I never have).
Bonding is courser but also mixed with vermiculite and probably
other things to bulk it out, and a bonding agent (probably PVA).

I don't think any of them are harmful in the garden. Certainly my
plants seem to have been at best indifferent, and possibly even
enthusiastic about the plaster dumped on them. Grass seems to grow
on a pile of pure plaster after a while.

IE school chalk, it
does no harm to plants etc, is non toxic and washes into soil harmlessly, if
you pour it down the drain though, it sets in the bottom of the trap

If you have already got clay soil, will it make things even worse?!

It's used to treat clay soils to make them better (drainage,
I think).

--
Andrew Gabriel

thinnest plasterboard or other plaster substrate? Fred UK diy 22 September 10th 16 02:10 PM
Plasterboard V's plaster rob UK diy 6 September 19th 06 12:46 PM
Plasterboard then PVA then skim plaster? The Count UK diy 4 January 30th 06 12:27 AM
plasterboard onto old plaster? David UK diy 6 December 22nd 04 05:18 PM
Merging plaster & plasterboard ? darkhorse31 UK diy 2 August 28th 03 12:06 PM