Posted to uk.d-i-y
rob rob is offline

Default Plasterboard V's plaster

Please help solve an argument between me and my dad, I don't think
there's really that much difference between plasterboarding and
skimming a wall and plastering it properly, my dad however says that
plasterboarding and skimming causes damp where as normal plastering
wouldn't. The wall in question is an outside wall in a mid-terrace
bedroom.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rob wrote:
Please help solve an argument between me and my dad, I don't think
there's really that much difference between plasterboarding and
skimming a wall and plastering it properly, my dad however says that
plasterboarding and skimming causes damp where as normal plastering
wouldn't. The wall in question is an outside wall in a mid-terrace
bedroom.

You can get something called interstitial damp with a gap that is not
vented. So vent it. Both are permeable to the outside. A layer of
visquine might prevent that, in which case the plasterboard is able to
hold up to the technical stresses. Plaster would just slide off it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rob wrote:
Please help solve an argument between me and my dad, I don't think
there's really that much difference between plasterboarding and
skimming a wall and plastering it properly, my dad however says that
plasterboarding and skimming causes damp where as normal plastering
wouldn't. The wall in question is an outside wall in a mid-terrace
bedroom.

Damp?
Drylining (pb + skim) hasn't been known to 'cause' damp, although I don't
suppose it would last very long under already damp conditions.
Plastering won't get rid of damp neither....under normal conditions, there
is no difference between the two and drylining is carried out in 90% of
newbuild houses these days as well as extensions etc, not only for ease but
also for it's insulating properties, it does have drawbacks though, like the
thread below, 'hanging cupboards on plasterboard wall'

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

rob wrote:
Please help solve an argument between me and my dad, I don't think
there's really that much difference between plasterboarding and
skimming a wall and plastering it properly, my dad however says that
plasterboarding and skimming causes damp where as normal plastering
wouldn't. The wall in question is an outside wall in a mid-terrace
bedroom.

Do you mean dry lining (ie with an airgap behind the boards) or just
fixing the boards to the wall in place of the bonding coat?

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

my dad however says that plasterboarding and skimming causes damp
where as normal plastering wouldn't. The wall in question is an
outside wall in a mid-terrace bedroom.

Neither method will solve a damp problem. Penetrating damp can be solved by
pointing the outside of the wall, and ensuring that there is no soil piled
up against the wall. Rising damp doesn't exist. Condensation damp would be
solved by insulating the wall, such as by using Kingspan K17 board to
dryline instead of standard plasterboard.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:
Rising damp doesn't exist.

So all those damp proof courses are basically ******** then?

Or is it your post?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rising damp doesn't exist.

So all those damp proof courses are basically ******** then?

Largely yes, although some types of damp proof course will help against
penetrating damp caused by piled up soil, or rain bouncing off hard
surfaces.

It is possible to replicate some sort of rising damp in a laboratory and
occasionally even in practice. However, almost all diagnoses of "rising
damp" in reality are pure fiction and are, in fact, misdiagnosed penetrating
damp or condensation.

Christian.