Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default turn off pilot light on water heater when draining system?

got to repair some leaky taps

do I need to turn off the pilot?

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 23, 10:18*am, "Gill Smith"
wrote:
got to repair some leaky taps

do I need to turn off the pilot?

--http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

No. You need to turn off the water. Personally I would turn off the
boiler but in fact the boiler shouldn't fire up anyway if there's no
water so this is just belt and braces. No need to turn off pilot light
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Gill Smith" writes:
got to repair some leaky taps

do I need to turn off the pilot?

No information - what model, etc.

You need to make sure it can't fire up. You can't do that with
my current one without turning off the pilot, although it's
predecessor could, as it had a pilot-only position on the gas
control knob, where the main burners were disabled.

The instructions should be clear on this point. I would imagine
they're likely to say switch off the gas supply to it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"joeys worldcup" wrote in message

No. You need to turn off the water. Personally I would turn off the
boiler but in fact the boiler shouldn't fire up anyway if there's no
water so this is just belt and braces. No need to turn off pilot light

thanx

now the hard part: putting new washers onto ancient scaled-up bath taps

off to buy some lemon juice.......

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Gill Smith" writes:
got to repair some leaky taps

do I need to turn off the pilot?

No information - what model, etc.

You need to make sure it can't fire up. You can't do that with
my current one without turning off the pilot, although it's
predecessor could, as it had a pilot-only position on the gas
control knob, where the main burners were disabled.

The instructions should be clear on this point. I would imagine
they're likely to say switch off the gas supply to it.

it's a Chaffoteaux_Maury

don't have booklet, unfortunately....

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2010 14:09, Gill Smith wrote:
"joeys wrote in message

No. You need to turn off the water. Personally I would turn off the
boiler but in fact the boiler shouldn't fire up anyway if there's no
water so this is just belt and braces. No need to turn off pilot light

thanx

now the hard part: putting new washers onto ancient scaled-up bath taps

off to buy some lemon juice.......

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Buy a tap re-seating cutter.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"joeys wrote in message

No. You need to turn off the water. Personally I would turn off the
boiler but in fact the boiler shouldn't fire up anyway if there's no
water so this is just belt and braces. No need to turn off pilot light

thanx

now the hard part: putting new washers onto ancient scaled-up bath taps

off to buy some lemon juice.......

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Buy a tap re-seating cutter.

better still, time to get a plumber methinks!

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Gill
Smith writes
"Gill Smith" writes:
got to repair some leaky taps

do I need to turn off the pilot?

No information - what model, etc.

You need to make sure it can't fire up. You can't do that with
my current one without turning off the pilot, although it's
predecessor could, as it had a pilot-only position on the gas
control knob, where the main burners were disabled.

The instructions should be clear on this point. I would imagine
they're likely to say switch off the gas supply to it.

it's a Chaffoteaux_Maury

don't have booklet, unfortunately....

A britony ?

Wedge shaped pcb - 79333/74484

The thermocouple connects directly to the pcb IIRC

I think you should be OK just turning off the electrics, however, if you
turn off the gas you have no chance of running it dry - which would not
be a good idea

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gill Smith" wrote in message
"joeys worldcup" wrote in message

No. You need to turn off the water. Personally I would turn off the
boiler but in fact the boiler shouldn't fire up anyway if there's no
water so this is just belt and braces. No need to turn off pilot light

thanx

now the hard part: putting new washers onto ancient scaled-up bath taps

off to buy some lemon juice.......

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Go to your local Asian deli and buy a bag of citric acid. Keep is as a 20%
spray in water in an old cleaning spray bottle. A 500g bag lasts ages and
the spray cleans the bath, sink and taps just dandy, and the crystals will
clean the loo too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"joeys wrote in message

No. You need to turn off the water. Personally I would turn off the
boiler but in fact the boiler shouldn't fire up anyway if there's no
water so this is just belt and braces. No need to turn off pilot light

thanx

now the hard part: putting new washers onto ancient scaled-up bath taps

off to buy some lemon juice.......

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Buy a tap re-seating cutter.

Dave

What you mean people actually found a use for one?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Gill Smith
writes
"Gill Smith" writes:
[...]

But if he turns off the pilot he might have trouble turning it back on
again. Just turn the thermostat right down. And or the timer off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Spamlet"
saying something like:

Buy a tap re-seating cutter.

Dave

What you mean people actually found a use for one?

For re-seating taps, perhaps.
Dunno about you, but I find them rather handy.