Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] Airwatt and vacuum cleaner air movement

According to wikipedia, an airwatt is defined as

0.117354 * F * S, where F is the rate of air flow in ft3/m and S is
the pressure in inches of water.

Given an open suction pipe with no restriction, what would be a
ballpark volume of air per minute moved by a typical domestic vacuum
cleaner?

Hundreds of cubic feet, or thousands?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airwatt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Other Mike wrote:
According to wikipedia, an airwatt is defined as

0.117354 * F * S, where F is the rate of air flow in ft3/m and S is
the pressure in inches of water.

Given an open suction pipe with no restriction, what would be a
ballpark volume of air per minute moved by a typical domestic vacuum
cleaner?

Hundreds of cubic feet, or thousands?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airwatt

A 'Henry' is rated at 45 litres a second, twin motor Nilfisk 60
litres/second.

So, if my maths is right 95 cfm & 127 cfm respectively.

Why did you want to know AAMOI?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 18:11:46 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

The Other Mike wrote:
According to wikipedia, an airwatt is defined as

0.117354 * F * S, where F is the rate of air flow in ft3/m and S is
the pressure in inches of water.

Given an open suction pipe with no restriction, what would be a
ballpark volume of air per minute moved by a typical domestic vacuum
cleaner?

Hundreds of cubic feet, or thousands?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airwatt

A 'Henry' is rated at 45 litres a second, twin motor Nilfisk 60
litres/second.

So, if my maths is right 95 cfm & 127 cfm respectively.

Thanks, that's a lot lower than I was expecting especially when some
computer type fans move a couple of hundred feet a minute albeit with
a lower pressure drop. Plenty of vac suppliers seem to quote the
airwatts but with no real indication of what the pressure or the cfm
was.

Why did you want to know AAMOI?

I'm building a vacuum unit to extract honey bees from a wall cavity
and trying to make it as gentle as possible so they survive the
journey down the hose and into the collecting chamber.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Other Mike wrote:

I'm building a vacuum unit to extract honey bees from a wall cavity
and trying to make it as gentle as possible so they survive the
journey down the hose and into the collecting chamber.

Somehow, I don't think we would have guessed that one!

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Airwatt and vacuum cleaner air movement

On 15 July, 06:50, Chris J Dixon wrote:
The Other Mike wrote:
I'm building a vacuum unit to extract honey bees from a wall cavity
and trying to make it as gentle as possible so they survive the
journey down the hose and into the collecting chamber.

Somehow, I don't think we would have guessed that one!

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon *Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Yes that caused a wry smile as my bees did that to new neighbours -
they were not amused, but it was some time ago and the local authority
did the clearing out then for free.

Having said that the information given is of value as I need to build
a simple dust extractor system for my workshop, and did think that
that was what the OP's posting was about.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The Other Mike wrote:
[...]