Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lead Shot?

Just taken up Scuba Diving and was alarmed at the price of the weight belts
/ harnesses complete with weights. Anyone know of a good source of about
20kg of lead shot? Cheapest I've found is £89 delivered.

Regards

SantaUK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SantaUK wrote:
Just taken up Scuba Diving and was alarmed at the price of the weight
belts / harnesses complete with weights. Anyone know of a good
source of about 20kg of lead shot? Cheapest I've found is £89
delivered.

Local church roof? :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SantaUK wrote:
Just taken up Scuba Diving and was alarmed at the price of the weight
belts / harnesses complete with weights. Anyone know of a good
source of about 20kg of lead shot? Cheapest I've found is £89
delivered.
Regards

SantaUK

lead has to be one of the easiest metals to work with, so why not make your
own?
you can melt scrap lead in any old saucepan and pour it into moulds made
from sand.
It's easily cut (for the slots etc and finished with a wire brush to remove
excess

I'd wager that a large portion of the £89 you've been quoted is for
delivery.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SantaUK wrote:
Just taken up Scuba Diving and was alarmed at the price of the weight
belts / harnesses complete with weights. Anyone know of a good
source of about 20kg of lead shot? Cheapest I've found is £89
delivered.

Does it have to be lead shot?

2 chainsaws and a 9" angle grinder would be the traditional uk.d-i-y answer
for 20kg of ballast.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

lol - all in the DIY spirit of things!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wonder if SWMBO would love me to be melting some lead! The delivery piece
was £8!

Thanks anyway

Regards

SantaUK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 10, 6:07*pm, "SantaUK" wrote:
Just taken up Scuba Diving and was alarmed at the price of the weight belts
/ harnesses complete with weights. *Anyone know of a good source of about
20kg of lead shot? *Cheapest I've found is £89 delivered.

Regards

SantaUK

why not call local scrappie

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"SantaUK" wrote in message
Just taken up Scuba Diving and was alarmed at the price of the weight
belts / harnesses complete with weights. Anyone know of a good source of
about 20kg of lead shot? Cheapest I've found is £89 delivered.

Regards

SantaUK

Amazing how you get out of the water with 20k lead plus the tanks!

Could you fashion a wrap around from flashing?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Spamlet" wrote in message

"SantaUK" wrote in message
Just taken up Scuba Diving and was alarmed at the price of the weight
belts / harnesses complete with weights. Anyone know of a good source of
about 20kg of lead shot? Cheapest I've found is £89 delivered.

Regards

SantaUK

Amazing how you get out of the water with 20k lead plus the tanks!

Could you fashion a wrap around from flashing?

Trust me you really want shot
(http://www.underwaterworld.co.uk/acatalog/info_28.html) rather than lumps
of lead on a belt (http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/1kg-lead-weight-2430610/)
as the former is far more comfortable as it conforms itself to you. Also if
you drop it you are somewhat less likely to break toes.

Cheers

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 20:32:17 +0100, "SantaUK"
wrote:

lol - all in the DIY spirit of things!

The difficulty is building a tall-enough shot tower innit.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

lol - all in the DIY spirit of things!

The difficulty is building a tall-enough shot tower innit.

--
Frank Erskine

Well if you followed The Medway Handymans suggestion you are actually high
enough to do that.

Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 22:57:38 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

lol - all in the DIY spirit of things!

The difficulty is building a tall-enough shot tower innit.

--
Frank Erskine

Well if you followed The Medway Handymans suggestion you are actually high
enough to do that.

I'd _never_ follow that guy's suggestions - he advocates the universal
use of some stuff commonly known as "WD-40".

;-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

lol - all in the DIY spirit of things!

The difficulty is building a tall-enough shot tower innit.

--
Frank Erskine

Well if you followed The Medway Handymans suggestion you are
actually high enough to do that.

I'd _never_ follow that guy's suggestions - he advocates the universal
use of some stuff commonly known as "WD-40".

;-)

You just wait till the revolution - your name is top of the list :-)

--
Dave - WD40 Liberation Front.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 11, 5:07 am, "SantaUK" wrote:
Just taken up Scuba Diving and was alarmed at the price of the weight belts
/ harnesses complete with weights. Anyone know of a good source of about
20kg of lead shot? Cheapest I've found is £89 delivered.

I just put hooks on these large lead balls.
http://i26.tinypic.com/nq6bf4.jpg

Nobody will be able to guess what they are for! (Nothing to do with
fishing)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:

I just put hooks on these large lead balls.
http://i26.tinypic.com/nq6bf4.jpg

Nobody will be able to guess what they are for! (Nothing to do with
fishing)

The world's least effective Newton's cradle?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 09:04:05 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

You just wait till the revolution - your name is top of the list :-)

Nobody worry. All the guns will be gunged up with WD-40.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 11, 9:46 pm, Andy Burns wrote:
Matty F wrote:
I just put hooks on these large lead balls.
http://i26.tinypic.com/nq6bf4.jpg

Nobody will be able to guess what they are for! (Nothing to do with
fishing)

The world's least effective Newton's cradle?

I knew somebody would say that!
They are counterweights to take up the slack in the cords that are
used to pull down tram poles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Matty F writes
Matty F wrote:
I just put hooks on these large lead balls.
http://i26.tinypic.com/nq6bf4.jpg

Nobody will be able to guess what they are for! (Nothing to do with
fishing)

The world's least effective Newton's cradle?

I knew somebody would say that!
They are counterweights to take up the slack in the cords that are
used to pull down tram poles.

I thought they were robot testicles

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 04:05:53 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:

I just put hooks on these large lead balls.
http://i26.tinypic.com/nq6bf4.jpg

Nobody will be able to guess what they are for! (Nothing to do

with
fishing)

The world's least effective Newton's cradle?

I knew somebody would say that!
They are counterweights to take up the slack in the cords that are
used to pull down tram poles.

Damn I was going to say counter weights for a cord, I was thinking of
the tensioning the passenger operated "ding ding" cord. But having to
guess the size and coming up with about 1 1/2" dia decided that they
would be bit heavy for that.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
SantaUK wrote:
Just taken up Scuba Diving and was alarmed at the price of the weight
belts / harnesses complete with weights. Anyone know of a good
source of about 20kg of lead shot? Cheapest I've found is £89
delivered.
Regards

SantaUK

lead has to be one of the easiest metals to work with, so why not make
your own?
you can melt scrap lead in any old saucepan and pour it into moulds made
from sand.
It's easily cut (for the slots etc and finished with a wire brush to
remove excess

I'd wager that a large portion of the £89 you've been quoted is for
delivery.

No ... you are missing crux of OP comment ... he wants lead SHOT ... not
cast weights.

I have a mould for casting my own scuba 2Kg weights ... but can't make lead
shot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"SantaUK" wrote in message
Just taken up Scuba Diving and was alarmed at the price of the weight
belts / harnesses complete with weights. Anyone know of a good source of
about 20kg of lead shot? Cheapest I've found is £89 delivered.

Regards

SantaUK

I also scuba dive ... lead shot is expensive.
Make do with cast lead weights to start off ... and pick up 2nd hand shot
bags as and when you can.

Or make your own lead shot ........ just need a tall tower and a bucket of
molten lead, drop slowly aiming at bucket of water ... get a mate to stand
by bucket so he can tell you what your aim is like ... seems safe enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"SantaUK" wrote in message
Just taken up Scuba Diving and was alarmed at the price of the weight
belts / harnesses complete with weights. Anyone know of a good source of
about 20kg of lead shot? Cheapest I've found is £89 delivered.

Regards

SantaUK

anyway elf & safely are bound to outlaw lead shot at some point

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "SantaUK"
saying something like:

Wonder if SWMBO would love me to be melting some lead!

Eh? It's a piece of **** to do.
Some diyer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:
"SantaUK" wrote in message
Just taken up Scuba Diving and was alarmed at the price of the weight
belts / harnesses complete with weights. Anyone know of a good
source of about 20kg of lead shot? Cheapest I've found is £89
delivered. Regards

SantaUK

anyway elf & safely are bound to outlaw lead shot at some point

Good G$d, have they not. This terrible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"SantaUK" wrote in message
Just taken up Scuba Diving and was alarmed at the price of the weight
belts / harnesses complete with weights. Anyone know of a good source of
about 20kg of lead shot? Cheapest I've found is £89 delivered.

Regards

SantaUK

Just thought about this - are you sure that you need 20kg? When I was
diving the most I can remember anyone using (big chap in a dry suit) was
about 25lb with possibly an extra lump for sea use. Personally I was down
to about 9lb at one point (skinny runt in a semi dry).

Certainly I would hold fire on buying any until you get to the point where
you need far less than that if at all possible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 09:04:05 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

You just wait till the revolution - your name is top of the list :-)

Nobody worry. All the guns will be gunged up with WD-40.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Who said anything about guns? In a bloodless coup, it might be a WD-40
enema.......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 12, 12:43 am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 04:05:53 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:
I just put hooks on these large lead balls.
http://i26.tinypic.com/nq6bf4.jpg

Nobody will be able to guess what they are for! (Nothing to do

with
fishing)

The world's least effective Newton's cradle?

I knew somebody would say that!
They are counterweights to take up the slack in the cords that are
used to pull down tram poles.

Damn I was going to say counter weights for a cord, I was thinking of
the tensioning the passenger operated "ding ding" cord. But having to
guess the size and coming up with about 1 1/2" dia decided that they
would be bit heavy for that.

They are the same size as these billiard balls that I intend using for
my Newton's cradle.
http://i31.tinypic.com/rk965i.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was out again yesterday, this time I tried with 16kg, and yes I went down,
but took a bit of an age!

I am diving normally with 18kg. So think I will move up to 17kg to see how
I get on.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark Spice" wrote in message

"SantaUK" wrote in message
Just taken up Scuba Diving and was alarmed at the price of the weight
belts / harnesses complete with weights. Anyone know of a good source of
about 20kg of lead shot? Cheapest I've found is £89 delivered.

Regards

SantaUK

Just thought about this - are you sure that you need 20kg? When I was
diving the most I can remember anyone using (big chap in a dry suit) was
about 25lb with possibly an extra lump for sea use. Personally I was down
to about 9lb at one point (skinny runt in a semi dry).

Certainly I would hold fire on buying any until you get to the point where
you need far less than that if at all possible.

It depends where - and in what, for example warm weather diving, in a 3mm
suit ... I dive with 7Kg of lead

If it with Steel tanks I can drop a further 1Kg.

In UK salt waters with a drysuit & undersuit .... at least 10Kg needed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 09:04:05 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

You just wait till the revolution - your name is top of the list :-)

Nobody worry. All the guns will be gunged up with WD-40.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Who said anything about guns? In a bloodless coup, it might be a WD-40
enema.......

Two thousand & one uses!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

West coast scotland, 14 degrees, Scubapro Everdry 4 neoprene drysuit with
undersuit, 12 litre tank, and a lard ass in the middle of it all, and I need
16kg min!!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 July, 18:07, "SantaUK" wrote:
*Anyone know of a good source of about
20kg of lead shot?

You don't need it to be shot, just smallish pellets. You can cast
quite easily by arranging a length of steel L angle as a vee, then
pouring a thin stream along that. After it's cold, snip it to
lengths.

Or make your own shot, with a water barrel and an upstairs window. One
storey is quite enough, if you don't care too much about sphericity
and ballistics.

Scrap lead is most easily acquired from garages and tyre dealers (old
wheel weights). They'll want money for it, but scrap price isn't all
that much. You can use rubbish grade lead (i.e. harder than pure soft
lead), but avoid car batteries as there's too much cadmium around with
those to start melting them without proper fume control.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Rick Hughes"
saying something like:

I have a mould for casting my own scuba 2Kg weights ... but can't make lead
shot.

20 storeys of tower block would surely do?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 13, 10:50 am, Andy Dingley wrote:
You can use rubbish grade lead (i.e. harder than pure soft
lead), but avoid car batteries as there's too much cadmium around with
those to start melting them without proper fume control.

Why not just find an old car battery of the right weight and use that
as is?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Rick Hughes"
saying something like:

I have a mould for casting my own scuba 2Kg weights ... but can't make lead
shot.

20 storeys of tower block would surely do?

Like this ?

geoff

Chemical test for SnPb lead/ RoHS lead-free solder N_Cook Electronics Repair 6 March 10th 10 08:50 PM
Should be shot... Upscale Woodworking 7 August 3rd 09 06:37 PM
Lead burning/tack welding torch - boiler flue through lead roof Tim S UK diy 12 March 20th 09 01:58 PM
One shot Broderick Crawford[_2_] Electronics 6 July 31st 07 03:54 AM
Lead-Free vs. 63/37 tin/lead solder [email protected] Electronics Repair 28 June 17th 06 12:29 PM