Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

Default Finding leak in pvc pool

Hello,
18 ft diameter pvc pool - the type with an inflatable ring
on top. Set it out and started to fill it. When it got to
about 6 inches deep we realised we had a leak.

I've tried to examine the seams and the base as well as I
can and haven't found any holes or slits. There are lots of
seams and it's thick textured pvc. Does the team have any
techniques for finding leaks?

--
John Mulrooney

I bet being with gamblers anonymous will work this time
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JTM" wrote in message
Hello,
18 ft diameter pvc pool - the type with an inflatable ring
on top. Set it out and started to fill it. When it got to
about 6 inches deep we realised we had a leak.

I've tried to examine the seams and the base as well as I
can and haven't found any holes or slits. There are lots of
seams and it's thick textured pvc. Does the team have any
techniques for finding leaks

Fill it to 3" ... if it still leaks at least you have reduced area to
inspect ... just watch where it gets wet first ... observation will track it
down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JTM wrote:
Does the team have any
techniques for finding leaks?

In Tesco they are next to the onions...

I'll get me coat...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 19:39:16 +0100, JTM wrote:

Hello,
18 ft diameter pvc pool - the type with an inflatable ring
on top. Set it out and started to fill it. When it got to
about 6 inches deep we realised we had a leak.

I've tried to examine the seams and the base as well as I
can and haven't found any holes or slits. There are lots of
seams and it's thick textured pvc. Does the team have any
techniques for finding leaks?

Am I missing something? It starts leaking when there's a few inches of
water, have you looked around the outside for a dribble of water?

If it's in the base, keep some water in for a day or two, then empty it,
preferably on a hot sunny day so the thing dries quickly, and look for the
damp patch where the water is seeping back in from the wet ground
underneath.

--
The Wanderer

Statistics show that statistics can't be trusted.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 07/07/2010 19:39, JTM wrote:
Hello,
18 ft diameter pvc pool - the type with an inflatable ring
on top. Set it out and started to fill it. When it got to
about 6 inches deep we realised we had a leak.

I've tried to examine the seams and the base as well as I
can and haven't found any holes or slits. There are lots of
seams and it's thick textured pvc. Does the team have any
techniques for finding leaks?

I had a small leak in my frame pool, caused by the ladder feet,
snagging on a wrinkle in the base - took a while to find due to looking
just like a bit of crud on the bottom of the pool.

Although holes are easy to fix once empty, they can be tricky when its
full. I did a temporary patch on mine with some epoxy putty...

Self amalgamating tape and contact adhesive

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JTM" wrote in message
Hello,
18 ft diameter pvc pool - the type with an inflatable ring
on top. Set it out and started to fill it. When it got to
about 6 inches deep we realised we had a leak.

I've tried to examine the seams and the base as well as I
can and haven't found any holes or slits. There are lots of
seams and it's thick textured pvc. Does the team have any
techniques for finding leaks?

--
John Mulrooney

I bet being with gamblers anonymous will work this time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranine
And search "tracer dye".
And borrow that other guy's uv lamp.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Wanderer" wrote in message
[...]

Or stand it on some cement powder...

S.

Winter Pool LEAK? New pool owners need help. [email protected] Home Repair 8 January 23rd 07 01:19 AM
Finding a leak from my shower aboleth UK diy 5 July 13th 06 09:33 AM
Any tips for finding air compressor leak? Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 32 January 30th 06 06:44 PM
Help finding a leak.... G Home Repair 6 October 26th 05 02:35 PM
finding a below ground water leak patrick mitchel Home Repair 7 December 9th 04 02:57 AM