Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cemetery burial grave site

Is it possible to log onto a cemetery web site to find out where a body
is going to be interred?

I ask, as we have to travel to a cemetery for a burial and I have been
unable to find a link for this.

Is this information only available at the cemetery?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dave
wibbled on Monday 05 July 2010 22:18

Is it possible to log onto a cemetery web site to find out where a body
is going to be interred?

Cemetery? Website?

You are Captain Picard from the 24th Century and I claim my £5!

Seriously, all the cemeteries I've ever had dealings with involve a Parish
Clerk and the rustlings of books.

I ask, as we have to travel to a cemetery for a burial and I have been
unable to find a link for this.

If it's a public cemetary, ring the council (Parish Council Clerk for
smaller places, maybe City/Town council for larger). If it's attached to a
church, ring the church. In most cases, they should be able to look it up
and get back to you.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 22:18:38 +0100, dave
wrote:

Is it possible to log onto a cemetery web site to find out where a body
is going to be interred?

I ask, as we have to travel to a cemetery for a burial and I have been
unable to find a link for this.

Is this information only available at the cemetery?

Contact the funeral director.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/07/2010 22:34, Tim Watts wrote:

wibbled on Monday 05 July 2010 22:18

Is it possible to log onto a cemetery web site to find out where a body
is going to be interred?

Cemetery? Website?

You are Captain Picard from the 24th Century and I claim my £5!

Seriously, all the cemeteries I've ever had dealings with involve a Parish
Clerk and the rustlings of books.

I ask, as we have to travel to a cemetery for a burial and I have been
unable to find a link for this.

If it's a public cemetary, ring the council (Parish Council Clerk for
smaller places, maybe City/Town council for larger). If it's attached to a
church, ring the church. In most cases, they should be able to look it up
and get back to you.

The service will be held at a church, but most that have to travel some,
will head to the cemetery.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Is it possible to log onto a cemetery web site to find out where a body
is going to be interred?

I ask, as we have to travel to a cemetery for a burial and I have been
unable to find a link for this.

Is this information only available at the cemetery?

Contact the funeral director.

Trouble is, we don't know who he is.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Is it possible to log onto a cemetery web site to find out where a
body is going to be interred?

I ask, as we have to travel to a cemetery for a burial and I have
been unable to find a link for this.

Is this information only available at the cemetery?

Contact the funeral director.

Trouble is, we don't know who he is.

Local paper website?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 July, 23:18, dave wrote:
Is it possible to log onto a cemetery web site to find out where a body
is going to be interred?

I ask, as we have to travel to a cemetery for a burial and I have been
unable to find a link for this.

Is this information only available at the cemetery?

Dave

I assume there is some good reason why you can't ask whoever told you
about it in the first place?

You could try http://www.iannounce.co.uk/ which claims to scan 339
newspapers, but recent spot checks I made failed on our local rag
(allegedly one of the 339).

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dave
wibbled on Tuesday 06 July 2010 00:02

The service will be held at a church, but most that have to travel some,
will head to the cemetery.

Dave

In which case, as someone else said, Funeral Directors will be able to help,
unless the council are being dealt with directly.

Last time I had such dealings, I dealt with the PC myself so they told me
what was what.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dave
wibbled on Tuesday 06 July 2010 00:03

wrote:

Is it possible to log onto a cemetery web site to find out where a body
is going to be interred?

I ask, as we have to travel to a cemetery for a burial and I have been
unable to find a link for this.

Is this information only available at the cemetery?

Contact the funeral director.

Trouble is, we don't know who he is.

?

Presumably someone knows... Or is this a complicated case of random bits of
families not talking to each other?

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Is it possible to log onto a cemetery web site to find out where a body
is going to be interred?

I ask, as we have to travel to a cemetery for a burial and I have been
unable to find a link for this.

Is this information only available at the cemetery?

Contact the funeral director.

Trouble is, we don't know who he is.

Dave

If you know which cemetery, find who runs it and ask them.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 22:18:38 +0100, dave wrote:

Is it possible to log onto a cemetery web site to find out where a body
is going to be interred?

Do you mean the address of the cemetary or the plot within the
cemetary?

The former a google for the cementary name will probably work. If
it's a large cementary ask the staff on arrival, at a small one you
souldn't have much problem finding the right plot anayway.

The latter would be dependant on the cementary and even if (big if) I
doubt the plot records for future burials is going to be online. TBH
I'd be surprised if the old records are anyway.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dave wrote:
Is it possible to log onto a cemetery web site to find out where a
body is going to be interred?

I ask, as we have to travel to a cemetery for a burial and I have been
unable to find a link for this.

Is this information only available at the cemetery?

Dave

1) Find out what time the funeral is and get to the cemetary an hour
beforehand.
2) Wait by the main gate.
3) When you see someone you recognise, get out of the car and follow them to
the grave.

4) Failing that, and if it's only a small cemetary, walk around until you
see an open grave, if there's only one, wait there until the coffin arrives,
if there's more than one, go back to #2.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Is it possible to log onto a cemetery web site to find out where a
body is going to be interred?

I ask, as we have to travel to a cemetery for a burial and I have
been unable to find a link for this.

Is this information only available at the cemetery?

Contact the funeral director.

Trouble is, we don't know who he is.

Local paper website?

We don't know that either. The funeral is many miles away.

Regards

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Is it possible to log onto a cemetery web site to find out where a body
is going to be interred?

I ask, as we have to travel to a cemetery for a burial and I have been
unable to find a link for this.

Is this information only available at the cemetery?

Contact the funeral director.

Trouble is, we don't know who he is.

?

Presumably someone knows... Or is this a complicated case of random bits of
families not talking to each other?

In a nut shell!

The problem looks to have been sorted now. The niece of the dececed who
has also died: her husband has agreed to meet us at the cemetary and he
has gone to find out where the grave is.

Regards

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2010 01:56, wrote:
On 5 July, 23:18, wrote:
Is it possible to log onto a cemetery web site to find out where a body
is going to be interred?

I ask, as we have to travel to a cemetery for a burial and I have been
unable to find a link for this.

Is this information only available at the cemetery?

Dave

I assume there is some good reason why you can't ask whoever told you
about it in the first place?

Yes, my wife's uncle was a bit of a recluse and we have no phone numbers
for his children, we don't even know where they live.

On the other hand, my wife's other uncles were very outgoing.

When one of her other uncles died 2 years ago, we were laughing and
joking in his house before the hearse arrived and I said to his wife
just before we left the house that he would have loved his funeral.

Despite his bad health, he was quite a joker. After all a funeral is a
celebration of some ones life.

In my wife's family, there have been no sombre funerals. One in
particular left me in tears, not by the sadness of the death, but by the
history of her life told by one of her grand daughters in a eulogy. We
learned that she had played trumpet in a band to entertain the troops
when they got leave during WWII. I reckon it would have been for
Burtonwood, in Cheshire. No one in the family knew about it. It was
only the one g daughter that got it out of her. We were very close to
her and never heard a thing about this.

When we visited, she would always put on a hi tea, with kitchen roll as
serviettes. :-)

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2010 09:24, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 22:18:38 +0100, dave wrote:

Is it possible to log onto a cemetery web site to find out where a body
is going to be interred?

Do you mean the address of the cemetary or the plot within the
cemetary?

The former a google for the cementary name will probably work. If
it's a large cementary ask the staff on arrival, at a small one you
souldn't have much problem finding the right plot anayway.

The latter would be dependant on the cementary and even if (big if) I
doubt the plot records for future burials is going to be online. TBH
I'd be surprised if the old records are anyway.

I was looking for the plot location as we have to travel some to the
cemetery.

Regards

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2010 14:45, Phil L wrote:
dave wrote:
Is it possible to log onto a cemetery web site to find out where a
body is going to be interred?

I ask, as we have to travel to a cemetery for a burial and I have been
unable to find a link for this.

Is this information only available at the cemetery?

Dave

1) Find out what time the funeral is and get to the cemetary an hour
beforehand.
2) Wait by the main gate.
3) When you see someone you recognise, get out of the car and follow them to
the grave.

4) Failing that, and if it's only a small cemetary, walk around until you
see an open grave, if there's only one, wait there until the coffin arrives,
if there's more than one, go back to #2.

Trouble is, it is bloody huge.

#2 is the best option.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 21:47:57 +0100, dave wrote:

Trouble is, it is bloody huge.

In that case it will almost certainly have staff, park up at the
reception and ask where "Fred" is being buried, I assume you do know
the deceased name. B-)

They may well have a map of the cementary as well, that might be
useful as it's quite easy to get lost in a big cementary there aren't
that many distinctive landmarks.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2010 07:53, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 21:47:57 +0100, dave wrote:

Trouble is, it is bloody huge.

In that case it will almost certainly have staff, park up at the
reception and ask where "Fred" is being buried, I assume you do know
the deceased name. B-)

They may well have a map of the cementary as well, that might be
useful as it's quite easy to get lost in a big cementary there aren't
that many distinctive landmarks.

Apart from gravestones :-(
It's a bit like finding your car again when you have parked it in a
field, along with a few thousand others. I once used a Garmin 12 to
track back my steps to the car. It's lucky I did, I would have still
been looking for it up to dusk time.

All is well on the grave front now, we had a phone call from the US side
of my wife's family and he is going to meet us at the cemetery and take
us to the grave. After the burial, he is going to take us to the wake.
From there I can find my way home.

Many thanks to all who answered my post.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2010 19:28, dave wrote:
[...]

From there I can find my way home.

Many thanks to all who answered my post.

We did arrive and depart OK thanks to the US connection and got home
through the bloody rush our, which I wasn't happy about. :-(

Over an hour trapped in a car for less than half a hours journey

Dave