Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Securing a window-box

What is the best way to secure a flower window-box
on a window-ledge?
The window-ledge is granite so it is impractical to drill this.
The wall around the window is brick,
and I though of attaching a wood or metal strip
across the window.
Is there a better way?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:
What is the best way to secure a flower window-box
on a window-ledge?
The window-ledge is granite so it is impractical to drill this.
The wall around the window is brick,
and I though of attaching a wood or metal strip
across the window.
Is there a better way?

filling it with soil is the usual method
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 15:30:39 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
What is the best way to secure a flower window-box
on a window-ledge?
The window-ledge is granite so it is impractical to drill this.
The wall around the window is brick,
and I though of attaching a wood or metal strip
across the window.
Is there a better way?

window box retaining brackets, e.g.
http://www.sussexbarn.com/bracket.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Timothy Murphy wrote:
What is the best way to secure a flower window-box
on a window-ledge?
The window-ledge is granite so it is impractical to drill this.
The wall around the window is brick,
and I though of attaching a wood or metal strip
across the window.
Is there a better way?

filling it with soil is the usual method

A terra cotta or concrete window box is the only solution IME. Plastic
is fine till it dries out, which is once a day at the moment
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Timothy Murphy wrote:
What is the best way to secure a flower window-box
on a window-ledge?
The window-ledge is granite so it is impractical to drill this.
The wall around the window is brick,
and I though of attaching a wood or metal strip
across the window.
Is there a better way?

I find Devon Granite easy to drill - with an SDS!

Our solution as to get a local chappie to make something for us:

http://unicorn.drogon.net/thingy.jpg

(It now has a trough in it - I just put those there when I took the
photo a while back)

Gordon

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

Timothy Murphy wrote:
What is the best way to secure a flower window-box
on a window-ledge?
The window-ledge is granite so it is impractical to drill this.
The wall around the window is brick,
and I though of attaching a wood or metal strip
across the window.
Is there a better way?

I put a couple of eye-bolts into the brickwork each side of the window
and then strung a wire rope between them at a height just below the
top of the window box.

--
djc