Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Inexpensive safe

Probably two words that don't normally coexist in the same sentence, but
can anyone recommend an inexpensive safe that will be accepted by an
insurance company and that will store jewellery and documents?

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 27, 10:29*pm, F news@nowhere wrote:
Probably two words that don't normally coexist in the same sentence, but
can anyone recommend an inexpensive safe that will be accepted by an
insurance company and that will store jewellery and documents?

TIA

what sort of level of insurance? what sort of budget? Without
specifying those the range is huge.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2010 01:14, NT wrote:
On Jun 27, 10:29 pm, Fnews@nowhere wrote:
Probably two words that don't normally coexist in the same sentence, but
can anyone recommend an inexpensive safe that will be accepted by an
insurance company and that will store jewellery and documents?

TIA

what sort of level of insurance? what sort of budget? Without
specifying those the range is huge.

NT

Start by asking your insurance company.

It will need fitting so it is not easily removable. Either fixed to
something very strong or better still sunk into a solid floor.

Don't know if local banks still offer safety deposit boxes for items to
which access is rarely needed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 17:14:35 -0700 (PDT), NT wrote:

what sort of level of insurance? what sort of budget? Without
specifying those the range is huge.

And probably equally as important as the abilty of the safe to resist
attack what has the OP got that the safe can be attched to? The most
secure safe out there isn't much use if they can drive a JCB through
a wall, pick it up in the bucket to be taken away and "worked on" at
their leisure.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2010 07:49, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 17:14:35 -0700 (PDT), NT wrote:

what sort of level of insurance? what sort of budget? Without
specifying those the range is huge.

And probably equally as important as the abilty of the safe to resist
attack what has the OP got that the safe can be attched to? The most
secure safe out there isn't much use if they can drive a JCB through
a wall, pick it up in the bucket to be taken away and "worked on" at
their leisure.

I have seen a number of claims for stolen ATMs. Damage invariably ran to
5 figures excluding ATM and contents.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man wrote:
On 29/06/2010 07:49, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 17:14:35 -0700 (PDT), NT wrote:

what sort of level of insurance? what sort of budget? Without
specifying those the range is huge.

And probably equally as important as the abilty of the safe to resist
attack what has the OP got that the safe can be attched to? The most
secure safe out there isn't much use if they can drive a JCB through
a wall, pick it up in the bucket to be taken away and "worked on" at
their leisure.

I have seen a number of claims for stolen ATMs. Damage invariably ran to
5 figures excluding ATM and contents.

There was a recent story, in Germany IIRC, of robbers who tried to blow
an ATM out of the bank wall. About the only thing left standing after th
explosion was the ATM machine.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Invisible Man
saying something like:

I have seen a number of claims for stolen ATMs. Damage invariably ran to
5 figures excluding ATM and contents.

The nearest ATM to me was jimmied out of the bank wall with a digger one
night. After all the repairs were done, the ATM was hemmed in by solid
concrete blocks.
One night, a year later, the ATM was jimmied out of the wall by a
digger, the blocks simply pushed aside.

Doh!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2010 01:14 NT wrote:

On Jun 27, 10:29 pm, Fnews@nowhere wrote:
Probably two words that don't normally coexist in the same sentence, but
can anyone recommend an inexpensive safe that will be accepted by an
insurance company and that will store jewellery and documents?

TIA

what sort of level of insurance? what sort of budget? Without
specifying those the range is huge.

Oops, you're right, my specs were non-existent!

Level of insurance: probably around £10000.

Budget: no more than I need to spend! Less than £100 if possible.

Location: I had imagined bolting it to the solid concrete floor in the
cupboard under the stairs. I've absolutely zero experience of this so
would appreciate some guidance.

Reason(s) for installing one: security, obviously, but Management has a
habit of putting valuable things in a 'safe' (pardon the pun) place and
then forgetting, so I thought I could solve two problems at the same time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2010 12:43, F wrote:

Reason(s) for installing one: security, obviously, but Management has a
habit of putting valuable things in a 'safe' (pardon the pun) place and
then forgetting, so I thought I could solve two problems at the same time.

You'll need a large person sized safe to lock up 'Management' ;-)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F news@nowhere wrote:
Reason(s) for installing one: security, obviously, but Management has a
habit of putting valuable things in a 'safe' (pardon the pun) place and
then forgetting, so I thought I could solve two problems at the same time.

Do you need fire protection as well?

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo Markettos wrote:
F news@nowhere wrote:
Reason(s) for installing one: security, obviously, but Management has a
habit of putting valuable things in a 'safe' (pardon the pun) place and
then forgetting, so I thought I could solve two problems at the same time.

Do you need fire protection as well?

Theo

A thought. Look up gun cabinets as well.

some car sizes suitable..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2010 13:56 Theo Markettos wrote:

Do you need fire protection as well?

Might as well while I'm sorting it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
Probably two words that don't normally coexist in the same sentence, but
can anyone recommend an inexpensive safe that will be accepted by an
insurance company and that will store jewellery and documents?

You should visit a good locksmith who can discuss your need in detail
and advise you as to the best safe. As a guide, for about £80, you can
get a simple wall safe that is rated to £1,000 cash / £10,000 valuables
for insurance purposes.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Nightjar \"cpb\"@"
"insertmysurnamehere saying something like:

You should visit a good locksmith who can discuss your need in detail
and advise you as to the best safe. As a guide, for about £80, you can
get a simple wall safe that is rated to £1,000 cash / £10,000 valuables
for insurance purposes.

Or a cheapy wall safe with a dummy double 13A socket on the front.
I discovered one by the simple expedient of trying to plug an extension
into it.
You'd think the makers would have left a bit of space behind the dummy
front so that the plug went right in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Nightjar \"cpb\"@"
"insertmysurnamehere saying something like:

You should visit a good locksmith who can discuss your need in detail
and advise you as to the best safe. As a guide, for about £80, you can
get a simple wall safe that is rated to £1,000 cash / £10,000 valuables
for insurance purposes.

Or a cheapy wall safe with a dummy double 13A socket on the front.
I discovered one by the simple expedient of trying to plug an extension
into it.
You'd think the makers would have left a bit of space behind the dummy
front so that the plug went right in.

Even better if it ran whatever was plugged into it.. However, I don't
think they are insurance company approved.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Nightjar \"cpb\"@"
"insertmysurnamehere saying something like:

Or a cheapy wall safe with a dummy double 13A socket on the front.
I discovered one by the simple expedient of trying to plug an extension
into it.
You'd think the makers would have left a bit of space behind the dummy
front so that the plug went right in.

Even better if it ran whatever was plugged into it.. However, I don't
think they are insurance company approved.

I suggested to the householder that I could fix it for him - the
fleeting look of panic on his face was interesting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2010 08:30 Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:

As a guide, for about £80, you can
get a simple wall safe that is rated to £1,000 cash / £10,000 valuables
for insurance purposes.

How are these fixed into the wall? I assume they're only around one
brick from back to front?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
On 29/06/2010 08:30 Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:

As a guide, for about £80, you can
get a simple wall safe that is rated to £1,000 cash / £10,000 valuables
for insurance purposes.

How are these fixed into the wall? I assume they're only around one
brick from back to front?

They are designed to be concreted into the inner leaf of a cavity wall,
so are rather deeper. They also have bars that are extended from inside
the safe, to spread the load across a larger area of wall if anyone
tries to lever them out. However, £1,000 cash / £10,000 valuables is the
starting point for insurance values, so don't expect too much of them.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm still trying to research a decent safe for valuables and (not many)
documents and have come across these two. Anyone with any experience of
such matters got any views on them?

http://www.securesafe.co.uk/Safes/Se...M80E-Safe.aspx

http://www.securesafe.co.uk/Safes/Se...al-S1-27K.aspx

http://www.securesafe.co.uk/Safes/Se...l-PS1-27E.aspx
has an electronic lock, which I would prefer as it means I don't have to
have keys kicking around ready to be found and used (I realise there are
over-ride keys but these can be put somewhere really inaccessible!).
However, are there any real disadvantages to electronic rather than
keyed access (other than increased cost)?

TIA