Default Inexpensive 110 VAC, 1.5A, 60-120 Hz VFD

Well, the subject line says it all.

What's an inexpensive VFD for a small motor?

220 VAC input is available. Single phase 110 VAC output 60-120 Hz,
1.5A. I believe the technology needed is "constant V/Hz".

Doug

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...8922a867a0 23

says it won't work.

I'd be better off with a big audio amp, generating a constant signal
with Cool Edit, and substituting the run capacitor in the target motor,
a split capacitor motor.

This has to do, if you haven't guessed already, with making the 5 1/2 x
3 inch motor on my bicycle work as a generator instead of or in
addition to working as a motor.

Doug

Wild Bill

I dunno about the inexpensive parameter, but there are likely to be numerous
devices that accomplish the VFD functionality for *some* types of induction
motors.
Perhaps the main reason that these types of devices aren't inexpensive, is
that they're usually microprocessor controlled and programmable, so that the
drive can be used for many different applications.
If all those features are required by the end user, then that's great..
otherwise, they're not practical for just a variable speed drive with
current limiting, for example.

http://www.bardac.com/pages/products/ac_optidrive7.html

I think there are some less complex type devices that might be two triacs
that are used for small AC motors, and quite possibly some circuits that
might use SCRs that would most likely be a little more complex.

Oriental Motor has variable speed modules for their single and 3PH motors,
and maybe you'd find experimenting with some of their products to be
worthwhile.
If you find OM stuff on ebay, it shouldn't cost a lot, but be aware that
quite a bit of the literature for their surplus stuff is in Japanese (but
sometimes includes the Engrish version too).
A. O. Smith may also have some single phase inverter/variable speed devices
for AC motors.

I saw this site the other day, and figured it has some info that you are
often seeking, or discussing.. arkresearch and the rotoverter
http://www.theverylastpageoftheinter...rotoverter.htm

You can play around with the URL to get to see other stuff, much of it
related to motors.

WB

oups.com...