Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Projecting Rawbolt usage

I'm trying to fix a 3in square wooden post to a brick wall,
using two "Projecting Rawbolts" from Rawplug.
These have a portion about 4.5cm long, which goes into
a 12mm hole in the wall.
The bolt then has an extending portion about 7cm long (in my case),
to go through the post.

According to the picture documentation, one is meant to
but the bolts into the wall and attach the post
though holes in the correct places,
and then tighten the nuts on the outside of the post.

It seems to me more logical to tighten the nuts
_before_ fixing the post, leaving the bolts securely fixed in the wall.
The post can then be added, and additional nuts added on the outside.

Has anyone used these bolts, and can advise me for or against
what I suggest?
If so, I would be most grateful to learn of your experience.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I'm trying to fix a 3in square wooden post to a brick wall,
using two "Projecting Rawbolts" from Rawplug.
These have a portion about 4.5cm long, which goes into
a 12mm hole in the wall.
The bolt then has an extending portion about 7cm long (in my case),
to go through the post.

According to the picture documentation, one is meant to
but the bolts into the wall and attach the post
though holes in the correct places,
and then tighten the nuts on the outside of the post.

It seems to me more logical to tighten the nuts
_before_ fixing the post, leaving the bolts securely fixed in the wall.

Yes, and then remove the nuts/washers, place the post over the (now
securely-fitted) projecting bolt and the reuse the nuts/washers on the post.

The post can then be added, and additional nuts added on the outside.

No need for additional nuts/washers.

HTH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Osborne wrote:

According to the picture documentation, one is meant to
but the bolts into the wall and attach the post
though holes in the correct places,
and then tighten the nuts on the outside of the post.

It seems to me more logical to tighten the nuts
_before_ fixing the post, leaving the bolts securely fixed in the wall.

Yes, and then remove the nuts/washers, place the post over the (now
securely-fitted) projecting bolt and the reuse the nuts/washers on the
post.

The post can then be added, and additional nuts added on the outside.

No need for additional nuts/washers.

Thanks.
That seems like a very good idea, which I shall follow.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Osborne wrote:
Timothy Murphy wrote:
I'm trying to fix a 3in square wooden post to a brick wall,
using two "Projecting Rawbolts" from Rawplug.
These have a portion about 4.5cm long, which goes into
a 12mm hole in the wall.
The bolt then has an extending portion about 7cm long (in my case),
to go through the post.

According to the picture documentation, one is meant to
but the bolts into the wall and attach the post
though holes in the correct places,
and then tighten the nuts on the outside of the post.

It seems to me more logical to tighten the nuts
_before_ fixing the post, leaving the bolts securely fixed in the wall.

Yes, and then remove the nuts/washers, place the post over the (now
securely-fitted) projecting bolt and the reuse the nuts/washers on the
post.

Wot I do too.

I use this method to erect a 'To let' sign on the side of a house - when
it's tenanted, the sign comes down very easily, just leaving two of
these rawlbolts protruding unobtrusively from the wall until next time
they are needed.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 June, 15:31, Timothy Murphy wrote:
[...]

Bad idea using rawl bolts, the hole in the wood will significantly
weaken the post. Also lets the rot in as the hole reveals untreasted
wood.
There are special brackets made just for this purpose. They use
ordinary screws, you need two for each post. Any fencing supplier/
builder's merchant keeps them. Cheaper and easier than rawlbolts too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

I'm trying to fix a 3in square wooden post to a brick wall,
using two "Projecting Rawbolts" from Rawplug.
These have a portion about 4.5cm long, which goes into
a 12mm hole in the wall.
The bolt then has an extending portion about 7cm long (in my case),
to go through the post.

Bad idea using rawl bolts, the hole in the wood will significantly
weaken the post.

I find it difficult to believe that two 8mm holes
through the 3in square post will significantly weaken it.

Also lets the rot in as the hole reveals untreasted
wood.

That isn't my experience.
The previous post did rot, but only at the ground.
(I've put a slate under the new post.)
In fact it was very difficult to remove the old rawplugs.

There are special brackets made just for this purpose. They use
ordinary screws, you need two for each post. Any fencing supplier/
builder's merchant keeps them. Cheaper and easier than rawlbolts too.

What precisely are these brackets?
How do they attach to the wall?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 June, 17:32, Timothy Murphy wrote:
harry wrote:
[...]

In practice you need a hole much bigger than 8mm. The brackets are
strips of galv. steel bent into a "U" shape.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deck-Post-Br.../dp/B002YD2TFA

As per picture above. You can get ones more substantial than this
one.
There exists also lots of other bits and pieces if steel that makes
fencing a lot easier and stronger. Go the a fence supplier & have a
look round
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
I'm trying to fix a 3in square wooden post to a brick wall,
using two "Projecting Rawbolts" from Rawplug.
These have a portion about 4.5cm long, which goes into
a 12mm hole in the wall.
The bolt then has an extending portion about 7cm long (in my case),
to go through the post.
Bad idea using rawl bolts, the hole in the wood will significantly
weaken the post.

I find it difficult to believe that two 8mm holes
through the 3in square post will significantly weaken it.

snip

There are special brackets made just for this purpose. They use
ordinary screws, you need two for each post. Any fencing supplier/
builder's merchant keeps them. Cheaper and easier than rawlbolts too.

What precisely are these brackets?
How do they attach to the wall?

snip
In practice you need a hole much bigger than 8mm.

What, like 9mm? I'm not with you. This is what we're talking about: -

http://i45.tinypic.com/2nvttfn.jpg

Even if you counter-bored the nut and washer, you wouldn't significantly
decrease the strength of the fence post and a shield anchor is stronger
and often aesthetically preferable to a fence clip.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Osborne wrote:

In practice you need a hole much bigger than 8mm.

What, like 9mm? I'm not with you. This is what we're talking about: -

http://i45.tinypic.com/2nvttfn.jpg

Even if you counter-bored the nut and washer, you wouldn't significantly
decrease the strength of the fence post and a shield anchor is stronger
and often aesthetically preferable to a fence clip.

I've put up the posts now using these Projecting Rawbolts,
and I'm very happy with them.
They look very neat.
Thanks for your advice.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 June, 14:27, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Dave Osborne wrote:
In practice you need a hole much bigger than 8mm.

What, like 9mm? I'm not with you. This is what we're talking about: -

http://i45.tinypic.com/2nvttfn.jpg

Even if you counter-bored the nut and washer, you wouldn't significantly
decrease the strength of the fence post and a shield anchor is stronger
and often aesthetically preferable to a fence clip.

I've put up the posts now using these Projecting Rawbolts,
and I'm very happy with them.
They look very neat.
Thanks for your advice.

--
Timothy Murphy *
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

The problem is once you start drilling it's impoosible to stop the
drill from wandering and keeping the hole aligned, parallel and what
have you. Quite often if you hit a chunk of hard aggregate it throws
the drill off line & you end up having to drill the wood out bigger.
This is only a pretty theoretical picture.
You'll find out once you start.
If you're bent on doing it this way the only chance is to drill
through the post into the concrete. But fence brackets are the way
to go. Quick and easy, cheap and stronger. And no water gets inside
the posts to rot them.

Gas usage sensible? David UK diy 36 July 22nd 09 04:35 PM
Chisel usage Jay Pique Woodworking 4 October 4th 08 02:09 PM
Gas usage increase? ? ? Bettina Home Repair 6 December 22nd 05 06:41 PM
Scope usage [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 April 3rd 05 03:41 PM
Help: Projecting Anchor Bolts Gary UK diy 17 January 21st 05 12:31 PM