Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default American Faucets - Taps to us in the UK

I noticed that the water from most of the taps seems to be aerated giving it
a really soft feel - great for hand washing. Also some shower heads have a
similar feature.

Do any UK fittings offer this? How is it achieved?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 June, 09:51, "John" wrote:
I noticed that the water from most of the taps seems to be aerated giving it
a really soft feel - great for hand washing. Also some shower heads have a
similar feature.

Do any UK fittings offer this? How is it achieved?

dunno about US/UK but our kitchen tap has a fine mesh in it which
causes the water stream to be aerated. However I suspect it's
*primary* puropose is to reduce the force of the water jet, to stop it
splashing up, as that's what it does if you remove it !

try sticking a bit of metal gauze over the tap ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 June, 09:51, "John" wrote:
I noticed that the water from most of the taps seems to be aerated giving it
a really soft feel - great for hand washing. Also some shower heads have a
similar feature.

Do any UK fittings offer this? How is it achieved?

Type in "tap aerator" in google.co.uk. There are conversion kits.
Or buy a tap that has it anyway - usually fancy mixer taps.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 0KFTn.92$NM4.90@hurricane,
"John" writes:
I noticed that the water from most of the taps seems to be aerated giving it
a really soft feel - great for hand washing. Also some shower heads have a
similar feature.

Do any UK fittings offer this? How is it achieved?

Basin tap I bought from Wickes some 8 years ago is aerated.

I fitted a nossle on the kitchen tap which allows you to switch between
an aerated flow and a shower type spray, and to direct/aim it where you
want. It was made by Adapt-A-Tap,
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/tap-adapta...duct/2495_2490
You need a tall tap outlet though, as it loses you significant height.
It's fitted to an IKEA tap, which had a total absense of any sort of
sensible nossle, but is quite tall.

It works by using the water pressure to make a small jet which entrains
air, and then passing it through a gause. The Adapt-A-Tap above sucks
air in through the shower holes, and may explain why it's taken about
8 years before it needed descaling, much longer than any other taps here.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
I noticed that the water from most of the taps seems to be aerated giving
it a really soft feel - great for hand washing. Also some shower heads have
a similar feature.

Do any UK fittings offer this? How is it achieved?

My mixer taps in house have a screw in 'fine mesh' which goes over the tap
outlet ..... makes the water feel silky.
Only place there isn't one is on bath filler - assume due to it slightly
restricting flow rate.

I first came across these in German in 1982 ... and I was doing a renovation
in UK at time ... and traced such taps -- Ideal Standard.

They are now much more common place.