Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas burner in an alcove

A friend wonders what this device is, found in an alcove in a corridor of his
workplace: http://www.michaelhowe.org/images/IMAG0003.jpg

He's pretty sure that pipework isn't actually connected to the gas, and he's
not in the maintenance department, so this is pure curiosity!

--
Selah
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stephen Gower
writes
A friend wonders what this device is, found in an alcove in a corridor of his
workplace: http://www.michaelhowe.org/images/IMAG0003.jpg

He's pretty sure that pipework isn't actually connected to the gas, and he's
not in the maintenance department, so this is pure curiosity!

Its for underfloor heating - ha ha

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Stephen Gower
saying something like:

A friend wonders what this device is, found in an alcove in a corridor of his
workplace: http://www.michaelhowe.org/images/IMAG0003.jpg

He's pretty sure that pipework isn't actually connected to the gas, and he's
not in the maintenance department, so this is pure curiosity!

Could be for anything.
Perhaps there was a need at one time for a large heated container of
water /soup /tar /who knows.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Stephen Gower
saying something like:

A friend wonders what this device is, found in an alcove in a corridor of his
workplace: http://www.michaelhowe.org/images/IMAG0003.jpg

He's pretty sure that pipework isn't actually connected to the gas, and he's
not in the maintenance department, so this is pure curiosity!

Could be for anything.
Perhaps there was a need at one time for a large heated container of
water /soup /tar /who knows.

you folks are just too young.

That's simply an upside down COAL gas ring (I reckon) that probably used
to simply heat a kettle and keep the tea warm.

Before central heating you didn't want to get up and go to the freezing
cold kitchen and crack the ice on the milk bottle and come back to the
one room you could afford to heat, (to the point where undervest,
shirt, v-necked waistcoat pullover, a rug over your knees and a jacket
and blanket round your shoulders and fingerless gloves could just about
avoid hypothermia*). So a little gas ring by the Radio, listening to
Hancock's Half Hour, and some Tetley tea bags, and milk in a jug, with
plenty of sugar lumps, made the evening survivable.

*it was known as dying of cold then, and a lot of people did.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

snip

Before central heating you didn't want to get up and go to the freezing
cold kitchen and crack the ice on the milk bottle and come back to the
one room you could afford to heat, (to the point where undervest,
shirt, v-necked waistcoat pullover, a rug over your knees and a jacket
and blanket round your shoulders and fingerless gloves could just about
avoid hypothermia*). So a little gas ring by the Radio, listening to
Hancock's Half Hour, and some Tetley tea bags, and milk in a jug, with
plenty of sugar lumps, made the evening survivable.

*it was known as dying of cold then, and a lot of people did.

Are you sure tea bags were sold in those days? I'm now 64 and I don't
remember tea bags until much later. I remember the bloody cold and
frozen insides of windows though :-(

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher
saying something like:

That's simply an upside down COAL gas ring (I reckon) that probably used
to simply heat a kettle and keep the tea warm.

Yes, and?
It's at his mate's place of work, not his house. Perfectly feasible it
was used for tea - I recall plenty of places where a gas ring was in
constant use for tea, instead of its installed-for purpose of heating up
tar, soup, dishwater, etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dave wrote:
[...]

you are probably right. IIRC teabags were in in the late 50's

here you go

http://www.tea.co.uk/page.php?id=4

1953 in the UK the first Tetley Tea Bag!

How to insulate an alcove? John UK diy 4 September 4th 08 06:44 PM
Live wire in alcove Dysanovic UK diy 2 February 11th 08 09:27 AM
Shelving in alcove louisxiv UK diy 24 November 8th 06 07:44 PM
Alcove bookshelves DM UK diy 24 April 7th 06 08:10 AM
Removing Brick Alcove Huey Barnett Home Repair 1 March 26th 04 03:52 AM