Huey Barnett

Default Removing Brick Alcove

My family room has a floor to ceiling alcove with used brick on the floor
extending 1 1/2 foot from the wall into the room and lining the alcove up to
almost shoulder height. I plan to remove all the brick and have a natural
gas fireplace installed. I will then have granite tile on the floor about 1
foot out and across the breadth of the fireplace with decorative tile on
each side and across the top of the fireplace.
My question is what is the best method of removing the used brick? It is
very solid and well mortared in with no visible cracks. Although I am aware
that the most obvious method of removeal is to take a sledge hammer and
wedge and use brute force, perhaps someone has some techniques that will
make the job easier and less destructive to the surrounding walls and floor.
Thanks.

SQLit

"Huey Barnett" akahuey59@excite wrote in message
[...]

An electric roto hammer with a spade bit will help. If it was done by a
craftsman it will be a bitch to remove. Isolate the area with plastic
everywhere before you start. Get a good wheel barrow and have an exit plan.
Invite over 4 friends and serve beer and steaks in the afternoon. At least
that is how we do it.