Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wafty shed base

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 11:41:06 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I only bring in labour for larger jobs like decking. My mate Desmond is
self employed & gives me an invoice, I pay him with a cheque.

Careful I think that technically makes you his "employer" with all
the attendant paper work and insurance implications...

Thats the way I like it. KISS.

KISS would be getting the client to pay Desmond direct.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 19:44:24 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 18:29:24 +0100, Bruce wrote:

The trouble is, they take the 2.5% discount and then don't pay for at
least three months, and sometimes as much as six months. And the bar
stewards still take their 2.5%!

So the client invokes their statuary rights under the Late Payment of
Commercial Debt. Interest charged daily at 8% above BoE base rate(*)
on the full debt from the day payment becomes late until the debt is
fully repaid, along with a penalty charge of =A340 for debts up to
=A3999.99, higher for larger debts.

I think you meant to suggest that the *supplier/contractor* should
invoke their statutory rights. The client is the problem.

Anyway, asserting statutory rights will almost guarantee that they
won't ever get any more work from that client. While it might sound
good in theory, in practice it is counter-productive.

Thankfully, the banks are very understanding and are aware that you
will get your invoices paid - eventually. So the banks don't usually
foreclose on a business whose cash flow problems are solely or mainly
as a result of slow payments from a public sector client or clients.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 20:05:49 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 11:41:06 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I only bring in labour for larger jobs like decking. My mate Desmond is
self employed & gives me an invoice, I pay him with a cheque.

Careful I think that technically makes you his "employer" with all
the attendant paper work and insurance implications...

No, David is the contractor, and Desmond is David's subcontractor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 11:41:06 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I only bring in labour for larger jobs like decking. My mate
Desmond is self employed & gives me an invoice, I pay him with a
cheque.

Careful I think that technically makes you his "employer" with all
the attendant paper work and insurance implications...

Desmond has several revenue streams. Sells a few second hand motors, cleans
carpets, runs market stalls. I'm his smallest revenue source.

Thats the way I like it. KISS.

KISS would be getting the client to pay Desmond direct.

With a decking job, that could expose the labour/material balance & ruin my
margin.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 17:03:41 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

Makes U wonder why their children can't do that sort of thing for
them but I suppose there're too busy paying their massive
mortgages;?..

Assuming they have children and assuming said children, if they
exist, are less infirm than their parents.

The old lady where I changed the sink plug & chain had a son who appeared to
be mid 40's. He answered the door & said "ah, you've come to fit the sink
plug - will you be able to manage it"?

Nothing wrong with him that I could see, just unable to do simple tasks. I
think its a confidence issue.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 11:41:06 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I only bring in labour for larger jobs like decking. My mate
Desmond is self employed & gives me an invoice, I pay him with a
cheque.

Careful I think that technically makes you his "employer" with all
the attendant paper work and insurance implications...

Desmond has several revenue streams. Sells a few second hand motors,
cleans carpets, runs market stalls. I'm his smallest revenue source.

Thats the way I like it. KISS.

KISS would be getting the client to pay Desmond direct.

With a decking job, that could expose the labour/material balance &
ruin my margin.

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.n...256bc200213116

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clot wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 11:41:06 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I only bring in labour for larger jobs like decking. My mate
Desmond is self employed & gives me an invoice, I pay him with a
cheque.

Careful I think that technically makes you his "employer" with all
the attendant paper work and insurance implications...

Desmond has several revenue streams. Sells a few second hand motors,
cleans carpets, runs market stalls. I'm his smallest revenue source.

Thats the way I like it. KISS.

KISS would be getting the client to pay Desmond direct.

With a decking job, that could expose the labour/material balance &
ruin my margin.

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.n...256bc200213116

:-)

More like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e2aRfqp1sY

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 00:13:15 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 17:03:41 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

Makes U wonder why their children can't do that sort of thing for
them but I suppose there're too busy paying their massive
mortgages;?..

Assuming they have children and assuming said children, if they
exist, are less infirm than their parents.

The old lady where I changed the sink plug & chain had a son who appeared to
be mid 40's. He answered the door & said "ah, you've come to fit the sink
plug - will you be able to manage it"?

Nothing wrong with him that I could see, just unable to do simple tasks. I
think its a confidence issue.

Perhaps, as he was growing up, he had no-one in the family who could
show him how to do simple tasks. Surely we all know people who aren't
competent to wire a 13 amp plug?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bruce" wrote in message

Perhaps, as he was growing up, he had no-one in the family who could
show him how to do simple tasks. Surely we all know people who aren't
competent to wire a 13 amp plug?

When I worked at GEC I knew engineers that couldn't wire a mains plug.
One I took apart had over an inch of bare wire going to each pin and had
been intermittently tripping the circuit for weeks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/10 09:44, dennis@home wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message

Perhaps, as he was growing up, he had no-one in the family who could
show him how to do simple tasks. Surely we all know people who aren't
competent to wire a 13 amp plug?

When I worked at GEC I knew engineers that couldn't wire a mains plug.
One I took apart had over an inch of bare wire going to each pin and had
been intermittently tripping the circuit for weeks.

When I was 20, I turned up for a year-out-of-degree job at Reading Uni.
First words (virtually) were "Hello, welcome, here's the tearoom and
there's 60 items of new lab equipment in boxes - can you put plugs on
each. And show me the first one you do...". Ah the joys...

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

When I was 20, I turned up for a year-out-of-degree job at Reading Uni.
First words (virtually) were "Hello, welcome, here's the tearoom and
there's 60 items of new lab equipment in boxes - can you put plugs on
each. And show me the first one you do...". Ah the joys...

Mine were "Hello, do you want to design software or hardware?"
I did hardware because software is too easy.
As it happens I have done hardware, firmware, software and loads of other
stuff including demos at CeBit which is really knackering. I doubt if there
are many places where you could do everything, shame its gone now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/10 11:28, dennis@home wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

When I was 20, I turned up for a year-out-of-degree job at Reading
Uni. First words (virtually) were "Hello, welcome, here's the tearoom
and there's 60 items of new lab equipment in boxes - can you put plugs
on each. And show me the first one you do...". Ah the joys...

Mine were "Hello, do you want to design software or hardware?"
I did hardware because software is too easy.
As it happens I have done hardware, firmware, software and loads of
other stuff including demos at CeBit which is really knackering. I doubt
if there are many places where you could do everything, shame its gone now.

I got to do both soon enough. I think this was "if you're going to be
here, will you do some crappy jobs too without whining and/or being a
useless flid?"

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 22:20:55 +0100, Bruce wrote:

I only bring in labour for larger jobs like decking. My mate

Desmond
is self employed & gives me an invoice, I pay him with a cheque.

Careful I think that technically makes you his "employer" with all
the attendant paper work and insurance implications...

No, David is the contractor, and Desmond is David's subcontractor.

INAL so just waving a flag. Employment law is *very* complicated and
this probably comes under "the construction industry" which has it's
own set of rules... A few quiet questions of the local Business Link
could be in order.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 22:20:55 +0100, Bruce wrote:

I only bring in labour for larger jobs like decking. My mate

Desmond
is self employed & gives me an invoice, I pay him with a cheque.
Careful I think that technically makes you his "employer" with all
the attendant paper work and insurance implications...

No, David is the contractor, and Desmond is David's subcontractor.

INAL so just waving a flag. Employment law is *very* complicated and
this probably comes under "the construction industry" which has it's
own set of rules... A few quiet questions of the local Business Link
could be in order.

If your SOLE source of income is ONE main contractor, then you are
deemed to be employed. However the moment you can show another
(significant) source of income, you are self employed. AFAICR.

You can solve that completely by becoming a limited company, and
invoicing as such, then you become and employee, and shareholder of THAT
COMPANY.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 14:07:22 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 22:20:55 +0100, Bruce wrote:
I only bring in labour for larger jobs like decking. My mate

Desmond
is self employed & gives me an invoice, I pay him with a cheque.

Careful I think that technically makes you his "employer" with all
the attendant paper work and insurance implications...

No, David is the contractor, and Desmond is David's subcontractor.

INAL so just waving a flag. Employment law is *very* complicated and
this probably comes under "the construction industry" which has it's
own set of rules... A few quiet questions of the local Business Link
could be in order.

No questions are in order, because it is no-one's business except The
Medway Handyman's.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 14:16:57 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

If your SOLE source of income is ONE main contractor, then you are
deemed to be employed. However the moment you can show another
(significant) source of income, you are self employed. AFAICR.

No. I have to get permission from HMR&C to be classed as self
employed even though I work on short, normally single day, contracts
for a number of different companies.

You can solve that completely by becoming a limited company, and
invoicing as such, then you become and employee, and shareholder of THAT
COMPANY.

True but involves all the Ltd Co. paperwork... Though there are other
advantges that may outweight that like paying yourself 40p/mile and
scale rate from all meals taken for work etc.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 14:40:22 +0100, Bruce wrote:

INAL so just waving a flag. Employment law is *very* complicated

and
this probably comes under "the construction industry" which has

it's
own set of rules... A few quiet questions of the local Business

Link
could be in order.

No questions are in order, because it is no-one's business except The
Medway Handyman's.

True but I wasn't suggesting "shopping" just that David might be well
advised to get clarification. Desmond has an accident, can't work for
6 weeks, who is liable, compensation, loss of earnings... Who will
the HSE come looking for?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
scribeth thus
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Are you sure about that, the Ltd co just having the One significant
source of income "customer"

I could see the Revenue querying that?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

easy enough to find a fellow company and do a few equal sized jobs for
each other ;-)

Or simply set up another one and trade frantically between them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 14:58:01 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 14:40:22 +0100, Bruce wrote:
INAL so just waving a flag. Employment law is *very* complicated

and
this probably comes under "the construction industry" which has

it's
own set of rules... A few quiet questions of the local Business

Link
could be in order.

No questions are in order, because it is no-one's business except The
Medway Handyman's.

True but I wasn't suggesting "shopping" just that David might be well
advised to get clarification. Desmond has an accident, can't work for
6 weeks, who is liable, compensation, loss of earnings... Who will
the HSE come looking for?

Why is that any of your business?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 15:23:30 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

Are you sure about that, the Ltd co just having the One significant
source of income "customer"

I could see the Revenue querying that?...

IR35? Not been there and don't want to...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

By & large it works out. I have a few quids worth of tools, a minor amount
of screws, fixings, silicone, gripfill, brackets etc.

And an angle-grinder, of course.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

By & large it works out. I have a few quids worth of tools, a minor
amount of screws, fixings, silicone, gripfill, brackets etc.

And an angle-grinder, of course.

Naturelmont Rodney.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Shed base David UK diy 0 April 26th 10 11:12 AM
Shed base Arthur 51 UK diy 7 April 22nd 10 03:50 PM
Shed Base Arthur 51 UK diy 7 July 25th 09 04:45 PM
shed base coco[_2_] UK diy 6 August 19th 07 03:29 AM
Shed base help [email protected] UK diy 6 August 28th 06 12:14 AM