Ken Riley

Default Saniflow - are they any good?

I have read some horror tales in the FAQ about these things but I need
to install some kind of masticator for the on-suite I am building.
Your views/recommendations would be appreciated.
tia,
Ken
remove 'spam' from email to reply
The Natural Philosopher

Ken Riley wrote:

I have read some horror tales in the FAQ about these things but I need
to install some kind of masticator for the on-suite I am building.
Your views/recommendations would be appreciated.
tia,
Ken
remove 'spam' from email to reply

Basically they do work, BUT....

the b(i/o)g problem is its possible to drop things down the
bath/basinshower/loo that will totally bork a saniflo pump.

They cope with pee, they cope with turds, they don't cope with sanitary
towels, bic razors, makeup tops, nappies, and even quantities of hair.

My friends having siuffered weeks of turd ridden shower pan, have taped
the lid of the loo **** except for emergency pees, and now shave
elsewhere...

Eric the Red

There was a Saniflow loo already fitted in a house I once owned.

Overall it worked very well and it was a useful bonus having 2 loo's in the
house.

As the other poster noted they do not cope well with heavy waste, IE sanitry
towels etc. But normal waste and loo roll are find. In the 3 years we where
there the only time I had a problem was when one of the kids decided to fill
with the pan with unravelled loo roll and flush it! That was an unpleasent
job to sort out.

They do make a bit of a noise when the loo is flushed as the maserator does
it's job but only lasts a few seconds and is not that loud..

Used sensibly I think they are worth it to have the extra loo.

Eric.

Martin Angove

In message ,
Ken Riley wrote:

I have read some horror tales in the FAQ about these things but I need
to install some kind of masticator for the on-suite I am building.

:-)

"masticator" = something which chews.

I believe Saniflos are more commonly called "macerators" which is a bit
odd if you read the dictionary definition, though I did once work at a
place with far too many of these devices, and a fellow engineer who used
to call them "emaciators".

Your views/recommendations would be appreciated.

Ok on a secondary loo where you can be sure that the device won't be
abused (e.g. an en-suite to your own bedroom) but *never* as the main
family loo, especially where there are children involved. The FAQ
doesn't lie. Not only do the things block, but if you have bathroom
queues they will overheat and cutout. This is especially true (IME) of
the units which are supposed to deal with the outflow from sinks and
showers - although they supposedly have a better duty cycle than the
loo-only versions it never seemed to be the case at work.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/