Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Painting a door help

Hi,

I have some old brown wood smooth as a babies bum type doors, quite old but
in good condition. I wanted to gloss them white.

Just wanted to know if I just prime, undercoat and gloss ..... or do I need
to rub the doors down to roughen them up or anything ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
Hi,

I have some old brown wood smooth as a babies bum type doors, quite old but
in good condition. I wanted to gloss them white.

Just wanted to know if I just prime, undercoat and gloss ..... or do I need
to rub the doors down to roughen them up or anything ?

If indoors I'd forget the primer. I'd also lcean them first.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
Stephen wrote:
Hi,

I have some old brown wood smooth as a babies bum type doors, quite
old but in good condition. I wanted to gloss them white.

Just wanted to know if I just prime, undercoat and gloss ..... or do
I need to rub the doors down to roughen them up or anything ?

If indoors I'd forget the primer. I'd also lcean them first.

If they've not been treated with anything and the house has central heating,
the undercoat just soaks in like ink on blotting paper - I did my 10 year
old doors a few weeks ago and gave each of them 2 coats of undercoat,
applied by roller of course and then glossed - they've come out quite good

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
NT wrote:
Stephen wrote:
Hi,

I have some old brown wood smooth as a babies bum type doors, quite
old but in good condition. I wanted to gloss them white.

Just wanted to know if I just prime, undercoat and gloss ..... or do
I need to rub the doors down to roughen them up or anything ?

If indoors I'd forget the primer. I'd also lcean them first.

If they've not been treated with anything and the house has central
heating, the undercoat just soaks in like ink on blotting paper - I
did my 10 year old doors a few weeks ago and gave each of them 2
coats of undercoat, applied by roller of course and then glossed -
they've come out quite good

forgot to add that the 1st coat was a mess, there's no way gloss would have
covered it

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 May 2010 18:53:39 +0100, Stephen wrote:
Hi,

I have some old brown wood smooth as a babies bum type doors, quite old but
in good condition. I wanted to gloss them white.

Just wanted to know if I just prime, undercoat and gloss ..... or do I need
to rub the doors down to roughen them up or anything ?

If you fancy trying something a bit different, how about turning them into
panel doors? To do this you'll need some 1/4" ply or MDF for the strips which
go around the outside of the door to form the panels, and some decorative
mouldings to edge the inner recesses, where the "panels" are.
Paint the outside frames a lighter colour and the inner parts (the surface
of the existing doors) a darker colour to give an illusion of depth.
Simple ones like this: http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/187511
shouldn't be beyond a weekend DIY-er.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

pete wrote:
On Thu, 27 May 2010 18:53:39 +0100, Stephen wrote:
Hi,

I have some old brown wood smooth as a babies bum type doors, quite old but
in good condition. I wanted to gloss them white.

Just wanted to know if I just prime, undercoat and gloss ..... or do I need
to rub the doors down to roughen them up or anything ?

If you fancy trying something a bit different, how about turning them into
panel doors? To do this you'll need some 1/4" ply or MDF for the strips which
go around the outside of the door to form the panels, and some decorative
mouldings to edge the inner recesses, where the "panels" are.
Paint the outside frames a lighter colour and the inner parts (the surface
of the existing doors) a darker colour to give an illusion of depth.
Simple ones like this: http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/187511
shouldn't be beyond a weekend DIY-er.

I'm old enough to remember Barry Bucknell showing the TV audience how to
cover 'old-fashioned' panel doors with hardboard to make them flush.

I can just see the post in forty years time: 'I've got these lovely old
flush hardwood doors that some **** has covered in bits of MDF and
layers of undercoat and gloss paint. How can I get them back to their
original condition?'

Roger.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger" wrote in message
pete wrote:
[...]

I remember Barry Bucknell showing how to fit an immoboliser switch on his
own Ford Consul. It was just a hidden switch that broke the low tension
lead. He demonstrated how it worked and, in the process, gave away that
the switch was inside the wing just behind the front wheel. Two days
later all the papers carried the story that his car had been stolen.
--
Tinkerer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/10 09:31, Tinkerer wrote:

I remember Barry Bucknell showing how to fit an immoboliser switch on his
own Ford Consul. It was just a hidden switch that broke the low tension
lead. He demonstrated how it worked and, in the process, gave away that
the switch was inside the wing just behind the front wheel. Two days
later all the papers carried the story that his car had been stolen.

If he'd been smart he would have (and omitted to say) that the switch
body was wired up to a cattle fence generator and rubber gloves were
advisable

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Tinkerer"
saying something like:

I remember Barry Bucknell showing how to fit an immoboliser switch on his
own Ford Consul. It was just a hidden switch that broke the low tension
lead. He demonstrated how it worked and, in the process, gave away that
the switch was inside the wing just behind the front wheel. Two days
later all the papers carried the story that his car had been stolen.

No matter. Old Barry wouldn't have got very far in the car anyway as the
switch corroded and fell apart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/10 08:52, Roger wrote:

I'm old enough to remember Barry Bucknell showing the TV audience how to
cover 'old-fashioned' panel doors with hardboard to make them flush.

I can just see the post in forty years time: 'I've got these lovely old
flush hardwood doors that some **** has covered in bits of MDF and
layers of undercoat and gloss paint. How can I get them back to their
original condition?'

! :-

At least Bucknell's work could be undone fairly easily (hint: if you
must, then use panel pins, not glue or screws). One of the best
improvements we made to our house I grew up in was whipping of the
hardboard, moving the door stops and a fresh coat of paint and bingo -
"new" interesting doors...

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
Hi,

I have some old brown wood smooth as a babies bum type doors, quite old but
in good condition. I wanted to gloss them white.

Just wanted to know if I just prime, undercoat and gloss ..... or do I need
to rub the doors down to roughen them up or anything ?

Do the knots need knotting fluid first,
or is that only with new wood?

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"george [dicegeorge]" wrote in message
Stephen wrote:
Hi,

I have some old brown wood smooth as a babies bum type doors, quite old
but in good condition. I wanted to gloss them white.

Just wanted to know if I just prime, undercoat and gloss ..... or do I
need to rub the doors down to roughen them up or anything ?

Do the knots need knotting fluid first,
or is that only with new wood?

[g]

Are they tacky? If not, presumably knot.

But, on the other hand, does knotting actually do anything other than cost a
fortune, and what is it made of anyway?

painting a door pacca Home Repair 6 July 11th 08 11:56 PM
painting around door trim - inside painting Eigenvector Home Repair 5 October 4th 06 11:34 PM
HELP: painting steel door?!?!?! Nobody Home Ownership 4 November 15th 05 07:30 PM
back door needs re-painting Monsoon UK diy 11 October 7th 05 09:46 PM
Painting Front door yitzak UK diy 17 August 19th 05 08:32 PM