Angela

Default CH System losing pressure

I have a potterton combi boiler. On noticing that the pressure had
fallen slightly below the indicator level I asked a neighbour what to
do (we all have the same system). He showed me how to top it up but
at the same time managed to over pressurise it and it went into the
red zone. He released the pressure again using what he said was a
pressure release valve. Since then the pressure keeps falling and I
am having to top it up every day.

Now I am wishing I never asked for advice. Is there something that I
can do or is it a job for the professionals? It's due for a service
next week but I would rather not have to pay out for a repair when it
maybe something very simple.

Thanks

Angela

BillR

Angela wrote:
I have a potterton combi boiler. On noticing that the pressure had
fallen slightly below the indicator level I asked a neighbour what to
do (we all have the same system). He showed me how to top it up but
at the same time managed to over pressurise it and it went into the
red zone. He released the pressure again using what he said was a
pressure release valve. Since then the pressure keeps falling and I
am having to top it up every day.

Now I am wishing I never asked for advice. Is there something that I
can do or is it a job for the professionals? It's due for a service
next week but I would rather not have to pay out for a repair when it
maybe something very simple.

Thanks

Angela

Most likely some muck from the system is lodged in the pressure relief valve
so is stopping it shutting off completely.
Try operating it for a 1/2 a second or so to flush it.
The pressure relief valve should be shown on the instructions which the
installer ought to have left you.
If not it can be traced by following the small pipe that goes through the
outside wall,back into the boiler.
The relief valve normally has a small (red?) lever which you lift to
operate.
You will have to re-pressurize the system to 1 bar when the CH is cold
afterwards.

Angela

Bill you are a star!

I looked at the pipe coming out of the wall and low and behold it was
dripping. I found the pressure relief valve and did as you
suggested - now I have no drips and it looks like the system is
keeping it's pressure.

Thanks for saving me!

Angela

"BillR" wrote in message
Most likely some muck from the system is lodged in the pressure

relief valve
so is stopping it shutting off completely.
Try operating it for a 1/2 a second or so to flush it.
The pressure relief valve should be shown on the instructions which

the
installer ought to have left you.
If not it can be traced by following the small pipe that goes

through the
outside wall,back into the boiler.
The relief valve normally has a small (red?) lever which you lift

operate.
You will have to re-pressurize the system to 1 bar when the CH is

cold
afterwards.

Ed Sirett

Angela wrote:

I have a potterton combi boiler. On noticing that the pressure had
fallen slightly below the indicator level I asked a neighbour what to
do (we all have the same system). He showed me how to top it up but
at the same time managed to over pressurise it and it went into the
red zone. He released the pressure again using what he said was a
pressure release valve. Since then the pressure keeps falling and I
am having to top it up every day.

Now I am wishing I never asked for advice. Is there something that I
can do or is it a job for the professionals? It's due for a service
next week but I would rather not have to pay out for a repair when it
maybe something very simple.

Just about everything you never wanted to know about the subject is
below on the last line.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Ferroli Optima Combi losing pressure Ade UK diy 1 November 13th 04 03:31 PM
Central Heating Pressure Bilbo Baggins UK diy 6 October 6th 03 06:58 PM
Automatic water pressure maintainer for combi boiler system? Frank W UK diy 12 August 20th 03 11:22 PM
Water system problem BigWallop UK diy 2 August 8th 03 11:12 AM
mains Hot water, and do I convert open heating to a closed heating system Ian Tracey UK diy 5 July 18th 03 09:55 AM