Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Disposal of petrol?

I had an old lawnmower that used 4-star LRP. I've now replaced it with
one that uses unleaded, but still have a couple of 5-liter cans of LRP
that I no longer need. How/where can I dispose of it?

--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2010 17:26, Ian wrote:
I had an old lawnmower that used 4-star LRP. I've now replaced it with
one that uses unleaded, but still have a couple of 5-liter cans of LRP
that I no longer need. How/where can I dispose of it?

Try freecycle

--
Regards
Camdor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

I had an old lawnmower that used 4-star LRP. I've now replaced it with
one that uses unleaded, but still have a couple of 5-liter cans of LRP
that I no longer need. How/where can I dispose of it?

That must be ancient juice - LRP was generally phased out in 2002-3...
It's probably not a lot of use to anybody as petrol any more (and may
well have aided the death of the old mower) - so probably the waste oil
recycling tank at the local tip, unless you know somebody who'd like it
for use as a brush-on degreaser.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
Ian gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

I had an old lawnmower that used 4-star LRP. I've now replaced it with
one that uses unleaded, but still have a couple of 5-liter cans of LRP
that I no longer need. How/where can I dispose of it?

That must be ancient juice - LRP was generally phased out in 2002-3...
It's probably not a lot of use to anybody as petrol any more (and may
well have aided the death of the old mower) - so probably the waste oil
recycling tank at the local tip, unless you know somebody who'd like it
for use as a brush-on degreaser.

nah. mix it with new. it will run and pay its way.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 May, 17:26, Ian wrote:
I had an old lawnmower that used 4-star LRP. I've now replaced it with
one that uses unleaded, but still have a couple of 5-liter cans of LRP
that I no longer need.

I just used mine through the lawnmower. Although the new one had an
engine that was now happy with unleaded (hard valve seats), it had no
_need_ for unleaded (no catalyst) and would cheerfully burn old
leaded.

As your old petrol is LRP (which is lead free, it just has an added
upper cylinder lubricant), then almost anything will burn it, bar a
few cars (Mercs) with fragile lambda sensors.

If it's old though, dilute it with new stuff to avoid starting
problems.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 May 2010 09:41:48 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley
wrote:

On 25 May, 17:26, Ian wrote:
I had an old lawnmower that used 4-star LRP. I've now replaced it with
one that uses unleaded, but still have a couple of 5-liter cans of LRP
that I no longer need.

I just used mine through the lawnmower. Although the new one had an
engine that was now happy with unleaded (hard valve seats), it had no
_need_ for unleaded (no catalyst) and would cheerfully burn old
leaded.

As your old petrol is LRP (which is lead free, it just has an added
upper cylinder lubricant), then almost anything will burn it, bar a
few cars (Mercs) with fragile lambda sensors.

If it's old though, dilute it with new stuff to avoid starting
problems.

If the OP has a diesel car, he can use it to dilute the DERV in his
tank when winter comes.

No more than 10% petrol to 90% diesel, so no more than one 5 litre can
per tank.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

If the OP has a diesel car, he can use it to dilute the DERV in his tank
when winter comes.

If it's a common-rail diesel, that may just be the most expensive bit of
bad advice given for quite a while...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian" wrote in message
I had an old lawnmower that used 4-star LRP. I've now replaced it with one
that uses unleaded, but still have a couple of 5-liter cans of LRP that I
no longer need. How/where can I dispose of it?

You could give it to the local fire station.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian wrote:
I had an old lawnmower that used 4-star LRP. I've now replaced it with
one that uses unleaded, but still have a couple of 5-liter cans of LRP
that I no longer need. How/where can I dispose of it?

in the new mower.

If it hasn't got a catalyst, it wont do any harm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian wrote:
I had an old lawnmower that used 4-star LRP. I've now replaced it with
one that uses unleaded, but still have a couple of 5-liter cans of LRP
that I no longer need. How/where can I dispose of it?

in the new mower.

If it hasn't got a catalyst, it wont do any harm.

It might if it has a lambda sensor not that a cheap lawnmower is likely to
have one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 May, 17:26, Ian wrote:
I had an old lawnmower that used 4-star LRP. I've now replaced it with
one that uses unleaded, but still have a couple of 5-liter cans of LRP
that I no longer need. How/where can I dispose of it?

--
Ian

Why not place the cans over a burning gas ring to evaporate it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/10 17:26, Ian wrote:
I had an old lawnmower that used 4-star LRP. I've now replaced it with
one that uses unleaded, but still have a couple of 5-liter cans of LRP
that I no longer need. How/where can I dispose of it?

If push comes to shove, pour it pint or two at a time onto a large area
of concrete and let it evaporate (about 20-30 minutes on a warm day).

captain obvious

Do this away from the house, car and sources of ignition (ie smoking
passers by)

/captain obvious

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
On 25/05/10 17:26, Ian wrote:
I had an old lawnmower that used 4-star LRP. I've now replaced it with
one that uses unleaded, but still have a couple of 5-liter cans of LRP
that I no longer need. How/where can I dispose of it?

If push comes to shove, pour it pint or two at a time onto a large area
of concrete and let it evaporate (about 20-30 minutes on a warm day).

captain obvious

Do this away from the house, car and sources of ignition (ie smoking
passers by)

/captain obvious

or give it to someone that knows what to do with it

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-05-26, Tim wrote:
On 25/05/10 17:26, Ian wrote:
I had an old lawnmower that used 4-star LRP. I've now replaced it with
one that uses unleaded, but still have a couple of 5-liter cans of LRP
that I no longer need. How/where can I dispose of it?

If push comes to shove, pour it pint or two at a time onto a large area
of concrete and let it evaporate (about 20-30 minutes on a warm day).

What's the problem with just putting it in the lawnmower? Mix it well with
"new" petrol.

Absolutely nothing wrong. Just adding one more option...

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ian wrote:
I had an old lawnmower that used 4-star LRP. I've now replaced it with
one that uses unleaded, but still have a couple of 5-liter cans of LRP
that I no longer need. How/where can I dispose of it?

If the lawn mower has a catalytic convertor leaded petrol will kill that.
If it doesn't it can be used safely.

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

I had an old lawnmower that used 4-star LRP. I've now replaced it with
one that uses unleaded, but still have a couple of 5-liter cans of LRP
that I no longer need. How/where can I dispose of it?

If the lawn mower has a catalytic convertor leaded petrol will kill
that. If it doesn't it can be used safely.

LRP isn't leaded - it's cat-safe.

Mind you, any lawnmower which required the valve seat protection of LRP/
leaded must be damn near prehistoric.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

I had an old lawnmower that used 4-star LRP. I've now replaced it with
one that uses unleaded, but still have a couple of 5-liter cans of LRP
that I no longer need. How/where can I dispose of it?

If the lawn mower has a catalytic convertor leaded petrol will kill
that. If it doesn't it can be used safely.

LRP isn't leaded - it's cat-safe.

Mind you, any lawnmower which required the valve seat protection of LRP/
leaded must be damn near prehistoric.

Nowt wrong with a 40 year old B&S. My Hayter is getting on for 25 years
now..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 May, 16:46, Adrian wrote:

Mind you, any lawnmower which required the valve seat protection of LRP/
leaded must be damn near prehistoric.

One of my mowers pre-dates leaded petrol.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Ian wrote:
I had an old lawnmower that used 4-star LRP. I've now replaced it with
one that uses unleaded, but still have a couple of 5-liter cans of LRP
that I no longer need. How/where can I dispose of it?

If the lawn mower has a catalytic convertor leaded petrol will kill that.
If it doesn't it can be used safely.

I haver never seen a lawnmower with such. I beleive lawnmowers are
actually exempted specifically from cats, and in general, produce in
total more pollution than all the cars on the roads put together.

Allegedly.

And it's LRP, not leaded petrol in this case.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-05-26, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Ian wrote:
I had an old lawnmower that used 4-star LRP. I've now replaced it with
one that uses unleaded, but still have a couple of 5-liter cans of LRP
that I no longer need. How/where can I dispose of it?

If the lawn mower has a catalytic convertor

Good Lord, are there any lawnmowers with cats?

somewhere in california, there is probably one with a large V8 and a cat
yes :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

Good Lord, are there any lawnmowers with cats?

somewhere in california, there is probably one with a large V8 and a cat

Cat stuck in the air intake?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:
Huge wrote:

Good Lord, are there any lawnmowers with cats?

somewhere in california, there is probably one with a large V8 and a cat

Cat stuck in the air intake?

Stick in the mulcher.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
On 2010-05-26, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTSn6lnLqBo

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 May, 17:50, Huge wrote:

Good Lord, are there any lawnmowers with cats?

Big ride-ons.

Probably most of the road-drivable gang mowers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 26 May, 17:50, Huge wrote:

Good Lord, are there any lawnmowers with cats?

Big ride-ons.

you have to getr pretty big.if it has a briggs and stratton, it wont
have a cat.

Probably most of the road-drivable gang mowers.

Diesels more like: the trend is 'if a B&S is not man enough, put in a
diesel'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-05-25 17:26:08 +0100, Ian said:

I had an old lawnmower that used 4-star LRP. I've now replaced it with
one that uses unleaded, but still have a couple of 5-liter cans of LRP
that I no longer need. How/where can I dispose of it?

What about getting rid of dodgy old unleaded petrol (2-stroke strimmer
is fine with it, but 4-stroke lawnmower pretty unhappy, and I've got
more than I need for the strimmer in the near term)?

I'm leaning towards boiling it in a kettle and then lighting (via
remote control of course) the vapour.

casting new petrol cap andrew UK diy 9 August 10th 09 10:14 PM
OT - petrol in diesel car Nobody UK diy 30 September 5th 07 12:25 AM
Petrol strimmers Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot UK diy 73 June 14th 07 08:16 PM
Wow, just an egg cupfull of petrol Kev UK diy 30 August 3rd 06 11:30 AM
[OT] 99 Octane petrol vortex2 UK diy 135 May 26th 06 01:27 PM