Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

Default Angle grinder for cutting wood

On Mon, 17 May 2010 23:41:06 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message
Mike Marlow wrote:
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

The downside of a reciprocating saw is their tendency to pull light
material back and forth if it isn't secured.

Downside??? You have to be willing to hold and use the tool
properly. Anything less does not result in a "downside".

That is why they have that flexible foot on them, to press up against
the work being cut. Sounds like somebody was trying to reach too far.
Like any power cutting tool, you gotta plan your cut before you pull
the trigger. No saw works well to cut the end off a spring hanging in
mid-air. That is why those tree-pruning saws on the long poles are of
such limited usefulness, other than right up by the trunk or a thick
main branch.

Thick branches and right up against the trunk is the Intended use.

I get that- trouble is, there are a lot of branches I need to trim that
fall between the thumb-size the rope powered lopper will cut, and the
thick ones the sawblade will get a bite on. I don't wanna take the whole
side off the tree, I just want to trim away where it rubs the roof and
siding, and gets into the TV antenna.

You need one of the double bladed "aligator" pruning saws or a small
pole mounted pruning chain saw - both designed to do that job, and do
it relatively well.