Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Masonry screws

Just trying to decide which fixings to use on the straps which hold the wall
plate down onto the wall.

I found some nice zinc plated self tappers which looked about the right
size, then started looking for more e.g. on Screwfix.

There I spotted 'masonry screws'.

e.g.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/17820/Screws/Masonry-Drywall-Screws/Hex-Masonry-Screws/Masonry-Hex-Slotted-Head-Screws-5-3-x-57mm-Pack-of-100

I then read a 'howto' at
http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2099347_us...ry-screws.html

As far as I can see they act just like wood screws in plastic plugs i.e. you
drill a hole, insert a plastic plug, then wind in the screw to expand the
plastic plug.

So what makes them specifically 'masonry screws'?
Is it just the hex head to make them easier to drive in?
Or am I missing something?
Why are they better than woodscrews or self tappers?

When I first saw them I had the wild hope that they might screw into masonry
like a wood screw went into wood - no Plasplugs.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
[...]

Just found
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/52703/...mm-Pack-of-100
which allegedly screw straight into concrete.

I'm still not sure how they will handle dense concrete blocks (although
presumably the structure is similar to concrete made from ballast).

Has anyone used these to screw into dense concrete blocks?

TIA

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" wrote in ...

Just foundhttp://www.screwfix.com/prods/52703/Screws/Masonry-Drywall-Screws/Hex...
which allegedly screw straight into concrete.

I'm still not sure how they will handle dense concrete blocks (although
presumably the structure is similar to concrete made from ballast).

Has anyone used these to screw into dense concrete blocks?

TIA

Dave R

Haven't used that particular one, but have used multimonti:

http://www.screwfix.com/cats/101217/Fixings/Multi-Monti

and star fix:

(or rather I used a very similar Spax product, which Screwfix have
dropped)

Have used both in a variety of masonry and concrete - works very well.

Personally, I wouldn't waste time with plugs anymore.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On 17 May, 14:45, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:
"David WE Roberts" wrote in

[...]

Thanks - off shopping :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

I usually just put 2 or 3 inch clout nails into the mortar beds...screws
rarely hold well in newly laid concrete blocks, unless you use the
self-tapping type, which cut their own thread.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/10 15:10, David WE Roberts wrote:

wrote in message

Haven't used that particular one, but have used multimonti:

http://www.screwfix.com/cats/101217/Fixings/Multi-Monti

and star fix:

(or rather I used a very similar Spax product, which Screwfix have
dropped)

Have used both in a variety of masonry and concrete - works very well.

Personally, I wouldn't waste time with plugs anymore.

Thanks - off shopping :-)

If it's only holding the wooden wall plate down, it sounds fine. There's
no pull load, and at worst some lateral load. Even if these lost their
grip, they still peg the plate to the top of the wall.

I wouldn't use them for joist hangers though!

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 17 May, 14:45, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:
"David WE Roberts" wrote in

[...]

Thats my experience. Think it was you who put me on the multi monti in the
first place.

Personally, I wouldn't waste time with plugs anymore.

Me neither. BTW Toolstation do them in packs of 10 for those only wanting a
few they are called 'Thunderbolts' on the package.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk