Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BAL ready mix adhesive shelf life?

Hi,

I have some fairly full tubs of BAL Greenstar with a manufacturing date
of March 2009.

The data sheet says shelf life 12 months under normal conditions.

Anyone reckon it would be unwise to use it over the next month or so?
It's been kept indoors, frost free.

Cheers

Tim
--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Hi,

I have some fairly full tubs of BAL Greenstar with a manufacturing date of
March 2009.

The data sheet says shelf life 12 months under normal conditions.

Anyone reckon it would be unwise to use it over the next month or so?
It's been kept indoors, frost free.

Cheers

Tim
--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.

Is this BAL powder or paste ? .......... if powder, as long as it has been
kept dry it should be no problem.
If a paste as long as still soft go ahead and use it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/10 23:08, Rick Hughes wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Hi,

I have some fairly full tubs of BAL Greenstar with a manufacturing
date of March 2009.

The data sheet says shelf life 12 months under normal conditions.

Anyone reckon it would be unwise to use it over the next month or so?
It's been kept indoors, frost free.

Cheers

Tim
--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.

Is this BAL powder or paste ? .......... if powder, as long as it has
been kept dry it should be no problem.
If a paste as long as still soft go ahead and use it

Hi Rick,

Ready mixed paste. OK - simple as that? Good - it's fine then Did
wondered if the magic voodoo fairy comes along later and makes your
tiles fall off if you use it one day after the date!!

I wonder why they have these odd shelf lives that always seem to be
convenient periods like "12 months". I'm using PU wood glue that getting
on for 15 months into its 12 month lifespan and it's fine too.

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Buy high quality TAG Heuer Tiger Woods Golf Watches at low price, you can
not believe, but it is true.

There are two models on
http://www.luxuryowner.net/Replica-T...f-Watches.html

White: Tag Heuer Tiger Woods Golf White Mens Watch WAE1112.FT6008:
http://www.luxuryowner.net/Replica-T...12.FT6008.html

Black: Tag Heuer Tiger Woods Golf Black Mens Watch WAE1111.FT6004
http://www.luxuryowner.net/Replica-T...11.FT6004.html

More replica watches you can refer: http://www.luxuryowner.net/

"Rick Hughes"

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Hi,

I have some fairly full tubs of BAL Greenstar with a manufacturing date
of March 2009.

The data sheet says shelf life 12 months under normal conditions.

Anyone reckon it would be unwise to use it over the next month or so?
It's been kept indoors, frost free.

Cheers

Tim
--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.

Is this BAL powder or paste ? .......... if powder, as long as it has been
kept dry it should be no problem.
If a paste as long as still soft go ahead and use it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

With the powder (cement based), the cement slowly sets my itself,
so the longer you keep it, the less proportion of active cement
there is left in the mixture (and it might be very unevenly
distributed in the bag). The bonding agent (glue part) should
still work, but I would guess the adhesive is not as strong, and
in particular, not as resistant to water (cement makes various
bonding agents waterproof which otherwise aren't).

No idea about ready mixed - never used it myself and I don't know
how it works.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
On 17/05/10 23:08, Rick Hughes wrote:

I wonder why they have these odd shelf lives that always seem to be
convenient periods like "12 months". I'm using PU wood glue that getting
on for 15 months into its 12 month lifespan and it's fine too.

I think for most products (with the obvious exception of plaster and
Portland cement)the shelf life is just a guide and probably somewhat
arbitrary. On balance, it's probably actually used more for stock
rotation than by end-users.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_medic...e_s till_work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

Lasts almost indefinitely if you slap a bin liner on top of the adhesive
and shut the lid properly, the latter being easier if you haven't got
gunk all over the top edge of the tub

Battery Shelf Life Dottie Home Repair 55 June 11th 09 05:55 PM
Emulsion shelf life? Rob[_10_] UK diy 8 April 8th 08 08:21 AM
Shelf life of paint [email protected] UK diy 3 June 26th 07 08:02 PM
BLO Shelf Life Russ Stanton Woodworking 2 January 9th 07 02:34 PM
Penetrating oil shelf life Norm Dion Home Repair 1 June 29th 04 01:42 AM