Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Patio doors

I've picked up some patio doors and not sure if I can fit them under
building control of course.

What are the relevant BS numbers or markings would I need. The only one I
can see is BS6206 which I believe is associated with glass and safety.

Are there any additional requirements?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/10 15:16, Fredxx wrote:
I've picked up some patio doors and not sure if I can fit them under
building control of course.

What are the relevant BS numbers or markings would I need. The only one I
can see is BS6206 which I believe is associated with glass and safety.

Are there any additional requirements?

The most important bit is are they toughened glass? This is the crucual bit.

If they are old double glazed, they may not meet the current Part L
regs, in which case, fit them and don't tell anyone! As far as anyone
knows, they've been there forever...

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-05-13, Tim Watts wrote:
On 13/05/10 15:16, Fredxx wrote:
I've picked up some patio doors and not sure if I can fit them under
building control of course.

What are the relevant BS numbers or markings would I need. The only one I
can see is BS6206 which I believe is associated with glass and safety.

Are there any additional requirements?

The most important bit is are they toughened glass? This is the crucual bit.

If they are old double glazed, they may not meet the current Part L
regs, in which case, fit them and don't tell anyone! As far as anyone
knows, they've been there forever...

My mother tripped and fell through our old French doors, which turned out
not to be toughened (I thought they were). She wasn't that badly hurt
(a few stitches in her bum) but she could easily have been killed. All
of a sudden, complying with the requirement for toughened glass didn't
seem like such a stupid idea.

As a child I walked into my parents' kitchen, closed the door, turned
around and suddenly found myself flat, in the hallway, surrounded by glass,
but not a scratch on me! It turned out my mum had mopped the floor after
the new dog widdled on it. After that the door was replaced and the one to
the living room quickly had the glass replaced with plastic.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 13/05/10 15:16, Fredxx wrote:
I've picked up some patio doors and not sure if I can fit them under
building control of course.

What are the relevant BS numbers or markings would I need. The only one
can see is BS6206 which I believe is associated with glass and safety.

Are there any additional requirements?

The most important bit is are they toughened glass? This is the crucual
bit.

If they are old double glazed, they may not meet the current Part L regs,
in which case, fit them and don't tell anyone! As far as anyone knows,
they've been there forever...

BS6206 seems to refer to the relevant safety glass aspect. However I can't
find a definitive source giving what marks and numbers I should have on
these doors to comply with recent legislation.

Many thanks.

patio doors tolbiny Home Repair 0 October 17th 06 01:36 PM
Patio Doors tolbiny Home Repair 2 September 14th 06 02:56 PM
Patio Doors Arnold H. Hollander Home Repair 7 April 1st 05 11:46 PM
patio doors mikey mike UK diy 3 July 6th 04 10:11 AM
Patio doors Phil UK diy 2 March 30th 04 03:02 PM