Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Help! Ikea chair replacement castors...

Hi,

Hmm, simple job gone wrong. I need 5 castors suitable for wood flooring
(preferably polyurethane tyred). However, the chair dates back to the
late 90's so the castor pin is not the modern 11x22mm type. It's
parallel, groove near the free end and about (mislaied my vernier) 10mm
dia by 45mm long stem.

Extensive searching on google has not yielded any UK suppliers (Caster
City in the USA, but they don't ship here).

Failing that, as the chair is tubular steel, I could get new plastic
sockets to suit modern castors - but again, google can't seem to find
anything for "castor socket" (or even "Caster socket" for the hard of
spelling!) like, say these:

http://www.bicsuperstore.com/Shepher...ource=GB&id=uk

Any pointers to a supplier of such widgetry?

BTW - WTF is google returning so many yankee sites for a google.co.uk
shopping search - that's about as useful as a chocolate teapot. I've
been having to add a site:*.co.uk into all my search terms - which rules
out UK businesses with a .com address???

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 May 2010 13:40:00 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

BTW - WTF is google returning so many yankee sites for a google.co.uk
shopping search - that's about as useful as a chocolate teapot. I've
been having to add a site:*.co.uk into all my search terms - which rules
out UK businesses with a .com address???

Seems to have happened recently when the UK only box vanished, and as
you said, few US suppliers are interested in shipping here, mainly due
to their postal service not being interested except for US bases.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ericp" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 May 2010 13:40:00 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

BTW - WTF is google returning so many yankee sites for a google.co.uk
shopping search - that's about as useful as a chocolate teapot. I've
been having to add a site:*.co.uk into all my search terms - which rules
out UK businesses with a .com address???

Seems to have happened recently when the UK only box vanished, and as
you said, few US suppliers are interested in shipping here, mainly due
to their postal service not being interested except for US bases.

"Pages from the UK" is in the left-hand column that seems to be on most
Google pages now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/05/10 23:22, Anode wrote:
wrote in message
On Wed, 12 May 2010 13:40:00 +0100, Tim wrote:

BTW - WTF is google returning so many yankee sites for a google.co.uk
shopping search - that's about as useful as a chocolate teapot. I've
been having to add a site:*.co.uk into all my search terms - which rules
out UK businesses with a .com address???

Seems to have happened recently when the UK only box vanished, and as
you said, few US suppliers are interested in shipping here, mainly due
to their postal service not being interested except for US bases.

"Pages from the UK" is in the left-hand column that seems to be on most
Google pages now.

Sadly that isn't on the Products page... Used to default to the UK if
using google.co.uk. The rot started setting in last year IIRC, but it
was only the odd thing (algorithmic errors I thought). Now it's everywhere.

I don't like the new Ajaxy pages either. Bloody slow to load on a phone
in non G3 mode. Used to the the best thing about Google - simple pages.
Hope they haven't started down the road to hell like those before them...

Anyway - no-one got any idea on me castors? ;-

I could throw the chair and buy a new one for 50 quid but that galls me...

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hmm, simple job gone wrong. I need 5 castors suitable for wood flooring
(preferably polyurethane tyred). However, the chair dates back to the
late 90's so the castor pin is not the modern 11x22mm type. It's
parallel, groove near the free end and about (mislaied my vernier) 10mm
dia by 45mm long stem.

Ikea do two different sizes of castors, so take one of your old ones
in and compare - I had a similar problem recently when I wanted to
replace the ones on a Procent chair as it was going onto laminate
instead of carpet :-}

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 May 2010 23:51:21 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 12/05/10 23:22, Anode wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Well, not the 'lite' mode but is UK-specific:

http://www.google.co.uk/advanced_sea...ghts=&safe=off

Anyway - no-one got any idea on me castors? ;-

I could throw the chair and buy a new one for 50 quid but that galls me...

I wish you wheel.
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/10 01:55, Colin Wilson wrote:
Hmm, simple job gone wrong. I need 5 castors suitable for wood flooring
(preferably polyurethane tyred). However, the chair dates back to the
late 90's so the castor pin is not the modern 11x22mm type. It's
parallel, groove near the free end and about (mislaied my vernier) 10mm
dia by 45mm long stem.

Ikea do two different sizes of castors, so take one of your old ones
in and compare - I had a similar problem recently when I wanted to
replace the ones on a Procent chair as it was going onto laminate
instead of carpet :-}

I'll pop in next time I'm up at Wing Yip in Waddon.

I did have a look at the website and got all excited when I found these:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/35093200

Which is excatly what I need, but the stem is wrong - that's a modern
ISO-doobry fitting that *everyone* uses now for office furniture. Sadly
Ikea weren't in the 90's...

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

Any pointers to a supplier of such widgetry?

Either of these, maybe?:
http://www.isaaclord.co.uk/
http://www.woodfit.com

hth
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/10 09:58, Lobster wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

Any pointers to a supplier of such widgetry?

Either of these, maybe?:
http://www.isaaclord.co.uk/
http://www.woodfit.com

hth
David

Thanks - good suggestions - they don't seem to have anything though.

Found my vernier. The stem is 9.6mm dia parallel (bar the groove) so
it's not a variant on the 9/16" "grip neck" stem he

http://www.robertbrooke.com/casters/...grip_neck.html

Mine would be more like 3/8" dia.

Stem length is 43mm, which is 1 3/4" near enough.

That's nearer (but not a match) to the modern "grip ring" stem which is
7/16" x 1 1/4" but with a slot in the socket rather than the stem.

I cannot find anything in the whole world that matches mine - what the
hell did Ikea use? Something weird and Swedish?

Probably time to give up as a bad job

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

I have a vague recollection when I came across a similar problem that
although the pin which goes into the chair is a different size the bit
that goes into the wheel is the same. So, unless it is the pin that is
broken you can swap it to the new wheel. But this may not be the case
for yours.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/10 12:36, Andrew May wrote:

I have a vague recollection when I came across a similar problem that
although the pin which goes into the chair is a different size the bit
that goes into the wheel is the same. So, unless it is the pin that is
broken you can swap it to the new wheel. But this may not be the case
for yours.

Andrew

Hmm - that *is* interesting. I shall get my vice out and see if the pin
can be shifted...

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 May, 13:40, Tim Watts wrote:
Hi,

Hmm, simple job gone wrong. I need 5 castors suitable for wood flooring
(preferably polyurethane tyred). However, the chair dates back to the
late 90's so the castor pin is not the modern 11x22mm type. It's
parallel, groove near the free end and about (mislaied my vernier) 10mm
dia by 45mm long stem.

This company:

http://www.plcastors.co.uk/

had the castors I wanted which seemed to be rare, too. May be worth
sending them an email with photos of the offending items, the guy who
dealt with me at their counter seemed to know his beans, which was
heartening.