Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Heating oil tank valve - what type is this?

Trying to find out what type of valve I have on my heating oil tank,
here's a grotty pic of it:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...9999/valve.jpg

Any ideas please?

Also, as an aside, where the large hexagonal 'nut' (at the very rear
of the pic) goes into the tank itself - this had some moderate sized
rusty flakes on it which I've now removed. What can I do to prevent
this rusting any further? Spray it with WD40 perhaps ???

Or is a bit of rusting to be expected?

I want to avoid any possible leaks from that area in the future!

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 May, 12:16, (jamma-plusser) wrote:
Trying to find out what type of valve I have on my heating oil tank,

Any ideas please?

Tankmaster thingummyjig.
See http://www.bes.co.uk and search for tankmaster.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 May 2010 11:16:50 GMT, jamma-plusser wrote:

What can I do to prevent this rusting any further? Spray it with WD40
perhaps ???

WD40 will be short term solution but best to clean it up and paint it
with something that will take the weather. Hammerite or a zinc loaded
paint.

Or is a bit of rusting to be expected?

Uprotected it will rust, in time it will rust away. If it starts to
leak the clean up bill from the EA will make you eyes water and be a
lot more than a spot of paint...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 May 2010 16:10:25 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Thanks.

Have removed the worst of the rust and slapped a very large amount of
grease on it. That'll stop the water getting to it. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 May, 16:10, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Tue, 11 May 2010 11:16:50 GMT, jamma-plusser wrote:
What can I do to prevent this rusting any further? Spray it with WD40
perhaps ???

WD40 will be short term solution but best to clean it up and paint it
with something that will take the weather. Hammerite or a zinc loaded
paint.

Or is a bit of rusting to be expected?

Uprotected it will rust, in time it will rust away. If it starts to
leak the clean up bill from the EA will make you eyes water and be a
lot more than a spot of paint...

--
Cheers
Dave.

That depends on whether you are daft enough to involve the EA of
course!
Kerosine evaporates with patience