Posted to alt.consumers.uk-freebies,uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

Default Beware, scammers

are scamming car sellers: beware!

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-freebies,uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

On 07/05/2010 10:00 F wrote:

are scamming car sellers: beware!

Another one to add to the list:

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-freebies,uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

On 08/05/2010 11:31, F wrote:
On 07/05/2010 10:00 F wrote:

are scamming car sellers: beware!

Another one to add to the list:

Something to do with your additional research on this?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/..._clockers.html

--
Adrian C
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-freebies,uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

As a comment, there are almost more places offering to "reset" digital
odometers than the national industry failure rate. You absolutely MUST
check the MOT record and any service history receipt means nothing
without a VIN or Engine Number on it. That is true for Main Dealer as
Private Seller, and If It Seems Too True realise there is a reason for
it.

Clocking is the easiest way of inflating a car's profit margin "to
meet requirements".
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-freebies,uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

On 08/05/2010 12:54 Adrian C wrote:

On 08/05/2010 11:31, F wrote:
On 07/05/2010 10:00 F wrote:

are scamming car sellers: beware!

Another one to add to the list:

Something to do with your additional research on this?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/..._clockers.html

No. It's to do with responses I got to a car ad I placed in Autotrader.
Thought their email addresses could do with wider circulation.

Four responses, all similar...

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am interested in purchasing this vehicle ,it suits my requirements
perfectly,I run two garages ,one in Dublin and the other in the
Netherlands, i shuffle most of my time between the two
THESE ARE MY TERMS OF TRANSACTION IF CAR IS EXACTLY AS STATED IN ADVERT:

1) I AM OKAY WITH THE STATED PRICE OF £****. [my *s]

2) I WILL BE PAYING WITH A BANKER'S DRAFT / CHEQUE WHICH I WILL ALLOW TO
CLEAR BEFORE THE PICKUP/SHIPMENT OF THE CAR.

3) I WILL INCLUDE FEES FOR SHIPMENT IN PAYMENT, THIS MY SHIPPING AGENCY
WILL USE FOR PICK-UP.The excess funds will go towards covering costs for
shipping,shippers fees,insurance,tax and any other expenses that might
be incurred getting it down to the new owner. I will want you to get in
touch with the following details if my terms are okay:
FULL NAME............................
ADDRESS.........................
TELEPHONE NUMBERS...................(Mobile and Land)

As soon as i have your details,i can have payment effected
immediately,all things being equal,we should have this wrapped up by the
end of this week. Pls note that you'll have to send on the balance on
the funds that you'll get to my shipper so he can come attend to the
pick up as soon as you make the car ready. I beleive that most
transaction are based on trust,so i will look forward to a successful
transaction with you.

Best Regards, Wayne Wade.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-freebies,uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

On 08/05/2010 20:17, F wrote:

No. It's to do with responses I got to a car ad I placed in Autotrader.
Thought their email addresses could do with wider circulation.

OK

Four responses, all similar...

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am interested in purchasing this vehicle ,it suits my requirements
perfectly,I run two garages ,one in Dublin and the other in the
Netherlands, i shuffle most of my time between the two
THESE ARE MY TERMS OF TRANSACTION IF CAR IS EXACTLY AS STATED IN ADVERT:

1) I AM OKAY WITH THE STATED PRICE OF £****. [my *s]

Yes, had pretty much the same response years ago when selling my car on
gumtree just over a year ago.

"Hello

I am interested in your adverts for sale as
please i will appreciate your email me the following sale details for
corresponding

What is your lowest price ?

For how long have you been using it ?

How many owners dose it have ?

I hope it is currently available for our purchase Yes
Where is it presently located ?

will you accept a bank draft as a form of payment
Await your messages soon ....."

The wording of the last two sentences put me off, as well as noting
their ability not to read details in the original advert which would
have answered their questions. I reported it to Gumtree as suspicious.

Gumtree is incidently a great place to sell difficult to shift cars -
Don't bother with autotrader, expensive...

--
Adrian C
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-freebies,uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

On 09/05/2010 19:34 Adrian C wrote:

Yes, had pretty much the same response years ago when selling my car on
gumtree just over a year ago.

They're pretty easy to spot but, no doubt, there are enough innocents
who fall for the scam to make it worthwhile.

I wonder if your email came form any of mine:

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-freebies,uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

On 10/05/2010 00:14 F wrote:

On 09/05/2010 19:34 Adrian C wrote:

Yes, had pretty much the same response years ago when selling my car on
gumtree just over a year ago.

I wonder if your email came form any of mine:

Or
which arrived just now.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-freebies,uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

hey, I'm really dense but where is the scam???!!!

if the guy waits for cheque clearance before pick-up.......?

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-freebies,uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

On 12 May, 11:01, "Gill Smith" wrote:
hey, I'm really dense but where is the scam???!!!

if the guy waits for cheque clearance before pick-up.......?

Cheque clearance doesn't mean what it used to.
A bank can bounce a cheque weeks or even months after it has cleared
and take the money back from your account.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-freebies,uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

On 12/05/2010 11:01 Gill Smith wrote:

[...]

The cheque eventually bounces after the scammer has collected the car.
Stolen building society cheques are more common than you might imagine,
as are bankers drafts. Only cash given to you inside the bank, after it
has been withdrawn by the purchaser, over the counter, in front of your
eyes is 'certain'. Sad, I know.

To add insult to injury, in this scam, as well as losing the car you
lose money: 'Pls note that you'll have to send on the balance on the
funds that you'll get to my shipper so he can come attend to the pick up
as soon as you make the car ready'. Why would the purchaser overpay you
and ask you to send the balance to his 'shipper' when he can pay the
'shipper' direct?

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-freebies,uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

On May 12, 11:01Â*am, "Gill Smith"
wrote:
hey, I'm really dense but where is the scam???!!!

if the guy waits for cheque clearance before pick-up.......?

He

Pls note that you'll have to send on the balance on the
funds that you'll get to my shipper so he can come attend to the pick up
as soon as you make the car ready.

It appears to have cleared - you pay out for shipping - then it
bounces.

A mate advertised a car in AutoTrader last year and got loads of these
emails. Still it was fun to bait the scamming c*nts:

From: "Greg Martins"
Subject: VOLKSWAGEN GOLF 1.9
Hello,۬I am writing in regards to your advert۬I am very much
interested in buying your above advert subject۬I have gone through the
details,I am quite satisfied with it.۬Kindly furnish me with the final
price you wish to let it go and also let me know the best time to come
for viewing and test drive.۬Waiting to hear from you.۬Thank you very
much.۬Regards,۬Greg Martins

To: "Greg Martins"
Dear Greg Martins,
Thank you for your reply in regard to the car for sale. The best time
for a test drive would be this coming weekend as I am working all
week. I am based in London, E8. €¨€¨The final price is £10450 as
advertised.۬۬Kind regards,

XXXX XXXXXX

From: "Greg Martins"

Hello, ۬Thank you very much for your mail.My wife is so much keen in
buying the car at all cost. Since £10450 is what you settle for then
we can make arrangment for inspection and test driving. But at the
moment my wife is on business trip to france and would be back 2 weeks
time. I would really love her to come down for inspection and do the
test driving since she will be the one using the car. I really cannot
make much decision until she arrives. I would advice if you could keep
the car until then. But if you prefer I can make a deposit for the car
to hold it down for the 2 weeks. You could confirm to me if you are
okay with the arrangment. you inform me of your terms of payment and I
can make arrangment for that until she arrives. I hope this goes well
with you.You can ring me on 07024099094 or call my wife wendy on
(44)07031851617. ۬Thanks ۬Greg

To: "Greg Martins"

Dear Greg Martins,

I am delighted your wife is business tripping in the France and keen
to show her round my VW fannymagnet at earliest opportunity.

Because of the price of diesel, I have been running the car on used
oil from the local chippy.Â* Regular servicing proves it still runs as
smooth as a nut but it does smell of haddock at speeds above 50mph.

Also I should point out that the car has been adapted to my special
needs as a long-term thalidomide user. I'm sure your wife won't have a
problem with this if she has flippers where her limbs should be.

Assuming this is no problem to you I look forward to your confirmation
of interest and God-willing we can do quick business and get Wendy on
wheels.

Feeling the love,

XXXX XXXXXX

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-freebies,uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

On May 12, 11:15*am, pcb1962 wrote:
On 12 May, 11:01, "Gill Smith" wrote:

hey, I'm really dense but where is the scam???!!!

if the guy waits for cheque clearance before pick-up.......?

Cheque clearance doesn't mean what it used to.

Indeed.

A bank can bounce a cheque weeks or even months after it has cleared
and take the money back from your account.

The maximum time during which a cheque can bounce is 6 days, after
which the money is yours and cannot be reclaimed. Google "certainty of
fate".

Prior to that you could ask for "special presentation".

MBQ

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-freebies,uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

On 12 May, 12:49, "Man at B&Q" wrote:
On May 12, 11:15*am, pcb1962 wrote:

On 12 May, 11:01, "Gill Smith" wrote:

hey, I'm really dense but where is the scam???!!!

if the guy waits for cheque clearance before pick-up.......?

Cheque clearance doesn't mean what it used to.

Indeed.

A bank can bounce a cheque weeks or even months after it has cleared
and take the money back from your account.

The maximum time during which a cheque can bounce is 6 days, after
which the money is yours and cannot be reclaimed. Google "certainty of
fate".

My knowledge was out of date, this changed in November 2007:
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-freebies,uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

On 12/05/2010 11:33 mike wrote:

A mate advertised a car in AutoTrader last year and got loads of these
emails. Still it was fun to bait the scamming c*nts:

I started that with one of them (even asked for a photo of him so I
could picture him in the car!) but then decided that life was too short
and told him to sod off.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-freebies,uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

They just keep coming! First it was

and now

Looks like if you're selling a car on Autotrader, this is what you can
expect.

Avoid any offers from these email addresses.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-freebies,uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

In message , F
writes
They just keep coming! First it was

and now

Looks like if you're selling a car on Autotrader, this is what you can
expect.

Avoid any offers from these email addresses.

What's the point of listing throwaway email addresses

The format of the letter is what's important

--
geoff
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-freebies,uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

In message , F
writes
On 13/05/2010 19:12 geoff wrote:

In message , F
writes
They just keep coming! First it was

and now

Looks like if you're selling a car on Autotrader, this is what you can
expect.

Avoid any offers from these email addresses.

What's the point of listing throwaway email addresses

To make sure they get enough spam to annoy them (and make me feel
better) and to ensure they really do have to be thrown away.

Pretty pointless, IWHT

The format of the letter is what's important

OK...

Hello,
How are you today and how is family and friends with you? Am writing
you to ask for the details of your car which i saw on autotrader UK car
selling website and i will be very happy if you can get back to me
yourself even if the details i asked for was stated in your advert but
i will need you to get back to me yourself for confirmation because i
am buying this car for a client and is better i have the full
information of the car from you. Below are the details of the car i
will need to know.

Ownership of the car?

Working condition of the car?

Mileage of the car?

Asking price of the car?

Picture of the car?

Location of the car?

Please get back to me with this details ASAP so we can proceed further,
you can also ring me on +447024063504.

But they don't use such a format, do they ?

there seems to be a fairly standard format and modus operandi

--
geoff
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-freebies,uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

On 13/05/2010 20:04 geoff wrote:

In message , F
writes
On 13/05/2010 19:12 geoff wrote:

In message , F
writes
They just keep coming! First it was

and now

Looks like if you're selling a car on Autotrader, this is what you can
expect.

Avoid any offers from these email addresses.

What's the point of listing throwaway email addresses

To make sure they get enough spam to annoy them (and make me feel
better) and to ensure they really do have to be thrown away.

Pretty pointless, IWHT

Probably, but it makes me feel happier...

[...]

That was a straight cut and paste and most have been pretty much identical.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-freebies,uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

On 16/05/2010 17:50 John Rumm wrote:

Email addresses posted in the body of usenet posts rarely attract
spam...

Really? That's a surprise.

In that case, the address of the latest -
- is probably not going to be picked up.

Craigslist = Scammers Charlie Self Woodworking 8 September 10th 09 04:07 PM
My neighbor was scammed by driveway spraying scammers Ignoramus6369 Home Ownership 134 April 26th 08 12:16 AM
HVAC Scammers [email protected] Home Repair 28 July 7th 06 07:16 PM
Woodsmith scammers Rob V Woodworking 16 March 31st 06 03:55 PM
Ebay scammers shot Roy Metalworking 1 January 27th 06 07:34 AM