Richard Faulkner

Default Showers & Fans in Bathroom

Hi,

I have had a bath and a fan fitted in my bathroom, and would like a
shower over the bath.

My builders tell me that you cannot have a shower head within a certain
distance of a fan, or other electrical thing. However, they are not sure
of the distance, and someone has told them 15ft, which is obviously
wrong g

The fan will be around 6ft away horizontally, and 3ft above the shower
head, if I can have one.

Anyone know the answer, or the location of the latest regs.?
--
Richard Faulkner
Andy Hall

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 23:24:06 +0000, Richard Faulkner
wrote:

Hi,

I have had a bath and a fan fitted in my bathroom, and would like a
shower over the bath.

My builders tell me that you cannot have a shower head within a certain
distance of a fan, or other electrical thing. However, they are not sure
of the distance, and someone has told them 15ft, which is obviously
wrong g

Yes, because the Wiring Regulations use metres.

The fan will be around 6ft away horizontally, and 3ft above the shower
head, if I can have one.

Anyone know the answer, or the location of the latest regs.?

For bathrooms there is a system of zones.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/7.2.2A.htm

describes them.

Basically, if the ceiling is more than 3m high, then the fan would be
outside zones.

For a ceiling between 2.25 and 3m high and Zone 3 applies in the space
between these two heights for a distance horizontally to 0.6m from the
edges of the bath.

For a ceiling less than 2.2m high, Zone 2 applies for the 0.6m from
the edges of the bath and Zone 3 from there for a further 2.4m.

So for your scenario, I think that it will be Zone 3 or no zone.

In any case you can fit a fan that is stated to be suitable for
bathroom use.

Another option is that you can fit a SELV (12v) fan anywhere apart
from in the bath itself.......

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Chris J Dixon

Andy Hall wrote:

For bathrooms there is a system of zones.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/7.2.2A.htm

describes them.

Basically, if the ceiling is more than 3m high, then the fan would be
outside zones.

For a ceiling between 2.25 and 3m high and Zone 3 applies in the space
between these two heights for a distance horizontally to 0.6m from the
edges of the bath.

For a ceiling less than 2.2m high, Zone 2 applies for the 0.6m from
the edges of the bath and Zone 3 from there for a further 2.4m.

So for your scenario, I think that it will be Zone 3 or no zone.

In any case you can fit a fan that is stated to be suitable for
bathroom use.

Does this still apply if the fan is ducted and in the ceiling
void? Even with a lowish ceiling, the actual fan is well beyond
being accessible.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
ARWadsworth

Does this still apply if the fan is ducted and in the ceiling
void? Even with a lowish ceiling, the actual fan is well beyond
being accessible.

Chris

If you mean an inline fan with ducting either side of it, then yes you can
use a 230v fan with the grill directly above the bath/shower even if the
ceiling is low. The installation will be outside zones.

--
Adam

N. Thornton

Andy Hall wrote in message . ..

Another option is that you can fit a SELV (12v) fan anywhere apart
from in the bath itself.......

Spoilsport!

Regards, NT