Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default joining railway sleepers

What is the name of the giant staple shaped thing you can hammer into
adjacent timber baulks to keep them from spreading apart? Basically a
bar pointed at both ends, and bent 90 degrees at both ends to form the
staple shape, which is then hammered in across the join? I thought
that they were called timber cramps, but googling fails to find them.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Apr, 23:16, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
What is the name of the giant staple shaped thing you can hammer into
adjacent timber baulks to keep them from spreading apart? Basically a
bar pointed at both ends, and bent 90 degrees at both ends to form the
staple shape, which is then hammered in across the join? I thought
that they were called timber cramps, but googling fails to find them.

AWEM

Dogs? http://www.ironmongeryonline.com/cli...show&ref=C1074
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
What is the name of the giant staple shaped thing you can hammer into
adjacent timber baulks to keep them from spreading apart? Basically a
bar pointed at both ends, and bent 90 degrees at both ends to form the
staple shape, which is then hammered in across the join? I thought
that they were called timber cramps, but googling fails to find them.

AWEM

Don't fancy I'd enjoy hammering anything through a railway sleeper - not
without the appropriate heavy kit anyway!

Are we talking buried palisade style end on; or sausage style end to end?

The chaps that did the former in our garden just concreted them in and had
hammered in some ww style joiners into the end grain to hold them while it
set. End to end, I should just find yourself a piece of iron bar (do the
school kids still remove railings these days...) of appropriate width, but
within your bending capabilities. Then *after* you've bent the ends over
to say half the depth of the sleeper, drill, in the right places, slightly
smaller diameter holes than the width of your bar, and *then* hammer. You
could even make a nice groove for the bar to sit in.

Or if you haven't bought them yet, these guys will supply them morticed so
you can just bolt them together - or you can do it yourself if you have a
chainsaw.

Oh: here you go a mere £2 on ebay. Much easier!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Staple-Pin-con...-/330404892180

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.uksleepers.co.uk/product/...ty_Wood_Screws

Oh: here you go a mere £2 on ebay. Much easier!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Staple-Pin-con...-/330404892180

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"spamlet" wrote in message

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in

message
[...]

No, we are talking temporary bridge over a ditch to get my tractor to
the other side - don't want them to spread as I cross!

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bolted" wrote in message
On 23 Apr, 23:16, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
What is the name of the giant staple shaped thing you can hammer

into
adjacent timber baulks to keep them from spreading apart?

Basically a
bar pointed at both ends, and bent 90 degrees at both ends to form

the
staple shape, which is then hammered in across the join? I thought
that they were called timber cramps, but googling fails to find

them.

AWEM

Dogs?

http://www.ironmongeryonline.com/cli...show&ref=C1074

That's it - thanks

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Apr, 01:20, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

No, we are talking temporary bridge over a ditch to get my tractor to
the other side - don't want them to spread as I cross!

In that case, try long crosswise lengths of electrician's cable tray
(cheap from TLC, lots of holes) and a few big nails.

Timber dogs cost good money and they only clamp adjacent timbers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

No, we are talking temporary bridge over a ditch to get my tractor to
the other side - don't want them to spread as I cross!

Bore hole through each one,
tread steel rope or chain through each one,
fix ends firmly.

Or for the really crude, staple chain link fence to it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:

No, we are talking temporary bridge over a ditch to get my tractor to
the other side - don't want them to spread as I cross!

Builders band.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/38619/...and-20mm-x-10m

Ideal for the job, cheap as chips, lots of holes, galvanised.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Apr, 23:16, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
What is the name of the giant staple shaped thing you can hammer into
adjacent timber baulks to keep them from spreading apart? Basically a
bar pointed at both ends, and bent 90 degrees at both ends to form the
staple shape, which is then hammered in across the join? I thought
that they were called timber cramps, but googling fails to find them.

AWEM

The Medway H is dead right
Use galvanised square twisted nails sufficienly deep say 2.5 "

Any drilling etc of these sleepers with holes for cramps, dogs staples
etc is merely a route for fungal decay entry
chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"chris" wrote in message
On 23 Apr, 23:16, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
What is the name of the giant staple shaped thing you can hammer

into
adjacent timber baulks to keep them from spreading apart?

Basically a
bar pointed at both ends, and bent 90 degrees at both ends to form

the
staple shape, which is then hammered in across the join? I thought
that they were called timber cramps, but googling fails to find

them.

AWEM

The Medway H is dead right
Use galvanised square twisted nails sufficienly deep say 2.5 "

Any drilling etc of these sleepers with holes for cramps, dogs

staples
etc is merely a route for fungal decay entry
chris

Yes Builders Band is a good idea, especially as I have half a dozen
rolls in stock. Fungal decay is not a problem, they'll only be there a
month, and the sleepers are pitch impregnated being real ones.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cicero" wrote in message
news
If the ground is reasonably firm hammer stakes into the ground at the
edges of your sleepers. That's more or less how sleepers are fixed on a
rail track.

Not on any railway I have seen.
Which one does that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 24, 1:20*am, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

No, we are talking temporary bridge over a ditch to get my tractor to
the other side - don't want them to spread as I cross!

OK for temporary use but the iron won't lat well in oak, acidic
preservative or damp condition. Use rebar to make your own joiner's
dogs. Like staples they are smaller than 90 degree angles. Bend them
over in a hole in any suitably anvil-ish scrap of iron.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Apr, 15:49, Cicero wrote:

If the ground is reasonably firm hammer stakes into the ground at the
edges of your sleepers. That's more or less how sleepers are fixed on a
rail track.

********.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
What is the name of the giant staple shaped thing you can hammer into
adjacent timber baulks to keep them from spreading apart? Basically a
bar pointed at both ends, and bent 90 degrees at both ends to form the
staple shape, which is then hammered in across the join? I thought
that they were called timber cramps, but googling fails to find them.

AWEM

Whilst all you sleeper users are beavering away you might come across some
of these:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...ed=0CAsQ9QEwAQ

There used to be a stretch of old line in Luton, where they grew. Mentioned
this to our local mushroom Recorder and he said they had not been seen in
the UK for 50y. By the time I went back to look, they were in barely
recognizable condition but Kew were still pleased to get them. So if you
see any fresh specimens sprouting from your sleepers, send some along to Kew
for their collection.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Mawson
writes

No, we are talking temporary bridge over a ditch to get my tractor to
the other side - don't want them to spread as I cross!

Couldn't you just bolt the outer two to a couple of cross timbers under
the bridge?

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 730196 20100424 205604 Andy Dingley wrote:
On 24 Apr, 15:49, Cicero wrote:

If the ground is reasonably firm hammer stakes into the ground at the
edges of your sleepers. That's more or less how sleepers are fixed on a
rail track.

********.

I hope you realise you just agreed with dennis? ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Andrew Mawson
writes

No, we are talking temporary bridge over a ditch to get my tractor

the other side - don't want them to spread as I cross!

Couldn't you just bolt the outer two to a couple of cross timbers

under
the bridge?

regards

--
Tim Lamb

This a temporary width extension to a brick arch bridge the majority
of which has collapsed. I need to cross the stream with about 3 tons
of tractor as work to repair it can only be done from one side. As the
sleepers will have to be rolled off the bit of arch that survives,
tying them together realistically has to be done from the top. I think
builders band in copious quantities will probably be fine !

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Apr, 08:21, Bob Martin wrote:

If the ground is reasonably firm hammer stakes into the ground at the
edges of your sleepers. That's more or less how sleepers are fixed on a
rail track.

********.

I hope you realise you just agreed with dennis? * ;-)

I know. It _was_ hard. But even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Mawson
writes
This a temporary width extension to a brick arch bridge the majority
of which has collapsed. I need to cross the stream with about 3 tons
of tractor as work to repair it can only be done from one side. As the
sleepers will have to be rolled off the bit of arch that survives,
tying them together realistically has to be done from the top. I think
builders band in copious quantities will probably be fine !

Ah!

Can we expect a photo of the moment you and your tractor reach the
centre?

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Andrew Mawson
writes
This a temporary width extension to a brick arch bridge the

majority
of which has collapsed. I need to cross the stream with about 3

tons
of tractor as work to repair it can only be done from one side. As

the
sleepers will have to be rolled off the bit of arch that survives,
tying them together realistically has to be done from the top. I

think
builders band in copious quantities will probably be fine !

Ah!

Can we expect a photo of the moment you and your tractor reach the
centre?

regards

--
Tim Lamb

NO! I didn't take one either when I collapsed the bridge driving over
in my fully loaded Thwaites dumper truck, which I had to lift out with
the JCB!

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Andrew Mawson
writes
[...]

Well at least you are well equipped!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"spamlet" wrote in message

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in

message

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Andrew

Mawson
writes
[...]

'twas a hairy time - JCB seesawing on the front wheels G

AWEM