Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Update: Radial saws.

Hi All,

I thought I'd let you know what I ended up with after my question
about a saw for (as far as this project is concerned) straight cutting
4x2's.

It was the £30 Screwfix jobby.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yydzvuy

After much torment and consideration I choose it because (in no
particular order):

It was only 30 quid and could be given to the daughter if she needs it
for her tree / craft work once this project is done.

It was available locally and Screwfix is generally easier / quieter /
quicker than the alternatives. I saw the same saw in B&Q for £40.

It is smaller than the sliding saws (no bits sticking out the front /
back) and could be left on a fairly narrow bench and still be useable
(or even on a strong shelf as it's quite light).

Being 'simples' I (and some others) thought there was a better chance
it would work / wear better (than a 'cheap' sliding saw).

I'm not likely to be doing any woodwork that would justify the 'in
case' need to do wider cuts or do mitres and even if I did I can't
really justify over double the cost and probably double the storage
space on those odds. Even if I do have need to go for a sliding mitre
saw in the future I wouldn't regret the 30 quid I spent on this and
sure I could find it a happy home elsewhere if space was still an
issue.

So, I've probably done 50 cuts today and I'd say they pretty well all
split my pencil line down the middle and are as square in all
directions as my old square. ;-)

It's doesn't seem to care if it's a soft bit of wood or if it's
cutting through a knot and it cuts much much faster than I could do by
hand.

I used it loose on an 8'x2' bit of 1/2" ply placed across two saw
horses, with the saw up towards the right hand end (it was a bit low
for the machine saw but I was hand cutting ply panels there as well).
This meant I could rest the long length (2.4m) [1] along the ply (and
on some scrap wood at the lhs to keep it all level) and the plastic
dustbin is the perfect height (-1") to support the cut length to the
right.

So, maybe not the most versatile solution but perfect for the job in
hand and will be easy to store.

Cheers, T i m

[1] As someone mentioned, nice to be able to cut wood the width of the
bade off the end with ease. ;-)

Radial saws? T i m UK diy 33 April 19th 10 10:40 AM
How do SawStop Table Saws Compare as Saws? woodworker88 Woodworking 8 August 11th 05 04:42 AM
Dewalt 7730, 740 Radial arm saws BobGramza Woodworking 1 April 30th 05 02:33 AM
Dewalt 740, 7730 Radial arm saws Robert A. Gramza Woodworking 2 April 29th 05 03:45 PM
Mitre saws, table saws, or flip saw? Tim Nicholson UK diy 6 May 9th 04 11:29 AM