Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lavatory syphon problem

One of our toilets is acting up, when you come to press the handle to
flush it, you feel no resistance against the wateer.

It is Derwent Macdee 3 part thing and uses a membrane as the plunger.
am reluctant to fit another syphon and I would prefer to repair the
broken one, but what can I use as the membrane?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
One of our toilets is acting up, when you come to press the handle to
flush it, you feel no resistance against the wateer.

It is Derwent Macdee 3 part thing and uses a membrane as the plunger. am
reluctant to fit another syphon and I would prefer to repair the broken
one, but what can I use as the membrane?

Bit of medium grade plastic i.e cut from an old bag of potting compost.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Cain explained :
"Dave" wrote in message
One of our toilets is acting up, when you come to press the handle to flush
it, you feel no resistance against the wateer.

It is Derwent Macdee 3 part thing and uses a membrane as the plunger. am
reluctant to fit another syphon and I would prefer to repair the broken
one, but what can I use as the membrane?

Bit of medium grade plastic i.e cut from an old bag of potting compost.

A builders plastic refuse sack?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
Roger Cain explained :
"Dave" wrote in message
One of our toilets is acting up, when you come to press the handle to
flush it, you feel no resistance against the wateer.

It is Derwent Macdee 3 part thing and uses a membrane as the plunger. am
reluctant to fit another syphon and I would prefer to repair the broken
one, but what can I use as the membrane?

Bit of medium grade plastic i.e cut from an old bag of potting compost.

A builders plastic refuse sack?

I used some plastic from one of those huge bags of cat litter. Works a
treat.

JW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
One of our toilets is acting up, when you come to press the handle
to flush it, you feel no resistance against the wateer.

It is Derwent Macdee 3 part thing and uses a membrane as the
plunger. am reluctant to fit another syphon and I would prefer to
repair the broken one, but what can I use as the membrane?

Bit of medium grade plastic i.e cut from an old bag of potting compost.

A builders plastic refuse sack?

I used some plastic from one of those huge bags of cat litter. Works a
treat.

I'll be off looking Tuesday. Thanks.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Roger Cain explained :
"Dave" wrote in message
One of our toilets is acting up, when you come to press the handle to
flush it, you feel no resistance against the wateer.

It is Derwent Macdee 3 part thing and uses a membrane as the plunger.
am reluctant to fit another syphon and I would prefer to repair the
broken one, but what can I use as the membrane?

Bit of medium grade plastic i.e cut from an old bag of potting compost.

A builders plastic refuse sack?

Thanks, when I see my local builder at lunchtime, I'll ask him for some.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Cain wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
One of our toilets is acting up, when you come to press the handle to
flush it, you feel no resistance against the wateer.

It is Derwent Macdee 3 part thing and uses a membrane as the plunger. am
reluctant to fit another syphon and I would prefer to repair the broken
one, but what can I use as the membrane?

Bit of medium grade plastic i.e cut from an old bag of potting compost.

Thanks, I wasn't sure of the rigidity to use. My original thought would
have been too thick to allow the water through once the syphon had started.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
One of our toilets is acting up, when you come to press the handle to
flush it, you feel no resistance against the wateer.

It is Derwent Macdee 3 part thing and uses a membrane as the plunger.
am reluctant to fit another syphon and I would prefer to repair the
broken one, but what can I use as the membrane?

You can buy membranes in any plumbing supplies place for under a squid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave wrote:
One of our toilets is acting up, when you come to press the handle to
flush it, you feel no resistance against the wateer.

It is Derwent Macdee 3 part thing and uses a membrane as the plunger.
am reluctant to fit another syphon and I would prefer to repair the
broken one, but what can I use as the membrane?

You can buy membranes in any plumbing supplies place for under a squid.

But isn't this uk.diy at a cheap price? :-)

I haven't looked at the failed one yet, I am suffering the 268 mile
reaction to get the g daughters back to the half way point to re-unite
them with their mother. Will look tomorrow, now I know what is wrong.

Cheers Dave