Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solar PV & 3 phase

I am thinking of putting Solar PV on some outhouses in my property.
That part of my property is served by one of the three phases that
supply me.

Is it possible to do a "feed-in" on one of the three phases and get a
payback. (Subject to a change of the meter etc).
Naffer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 14, 10:24*pm, naffer wrote:
I am thinking of putting Solar PV on some outhouses in my property.
That part of my property is served by one of the three phases that
supply me.

Is it possible to do a "feed-in" on one of the three phases and get a
payback. *(Subject to a change of the meter etc).
Naffer

yes and no. Yes in the sense that they'll pay you if you supply
electricity, no in the sense that solar pv will ever pay its cost
back. You've got mains there, use it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:

On Apr 14, 10:24*pm, naffer wrote:
I am thinking of putting Solar PV on some outhouses in my property.
That part of my property is served by one of the three phases that
supply me.

Is it possible to do a "feed-in" on one of the three phases and get a
payback. *(Subject to a change of the meter etc).
Naffer

yes and no. Yes in the sense that they'll pay you if you supply
electricity, no in the sense that solar pv will ever pay its cost
back. You've got mains there, use it.

Would you care to share your calculations with us?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Apr, 06:52, Chris J Dixon wrote:
NT wrote:
On Apr 14, 10:24 pm, naffer wrote:
I am thinking of putting Solar PV on some outhouses in my property.
That part of my property is served by one of the three phases that
supply me.

Is it possible to do a "feed-in" on one of the three phases and get a
payback. (Subject to a change of the meter etc).
Naffer

yes and no. Yes in the sense that they'll pay you if you supply
electricity, no in the sense that solar pv will ever pay its cost
back. You've got mains there, use it.

Would you care to share your calculations with us?

A good approximation for the average power output of a well sited PV
system in central England is 10% of its rated kWp. So, a 2kWp system
will produce on average somewhere near 200W and cost 12k. That will
take 400000hrs to pay for itself at 15p/kWh - ie never!

The government are well aware of this, so they are willing to pay PV
installations a premium of approximately 3 times what the electricity
is worth, so they can pay for themselves in about 15 years, and double
their money in their lifetime. It is a very good deal if you are
wealthy enough to afford such a system.

Fortunately for the government, they will not be footing the bill for
this extravagance as it will be paid for by a levy on all our gas and
electricity bills. Hence it is set to become one of the greatest
wealth transfers from the poor to the rich in your nation's history.
The payments are also tax free I believe.

Salut

legrandfromage
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 15, 6:52*am, Chris J Dixon wrote:
NT wrote:
On Apr 14, 10:24 pm, naffer wrote:
I am thinking of putting Solar PV on some outhouses in my property.
That part of my property is served by one of the three phases that
supply me.

Is it possible to do a "feed-in" on one of the three phases and get a
payback. (Subject to a change of the meter etc).
Naffer

yes and no. Yes in the sense that they'll pay you if you supply
electricity, no in the sense that solar pv will ever pay its cost
back. You've got mains there, use it.

Would you care to share your calculations with us?

Chris

Hopefully the OP will search ukdiy, and soon notice that all the
threads with relevant calculations reach the same conclusion. Its a
lot more convincing than the say so of one person imho.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
On Apr 14, 10:24 pm, naffer wrote:
I am thinking of putting Solar PV on some outhouses in my property.
That part of my property is served by one of the three phases that
supply me.

Is it possible to do a "feed-in" on one of the three phases and get a
payback. (Subject to a change of the meter etc).
Naffer

yes and no. Yes in the sense that they'll pay you if you supply
electricity, no in the sense that solar pv will ever pay its cost
back. You've got mains there, use it.

Would you care to share your calculations with us?

Chris

Hopefully the OP will search ukdiy, and soon notice that all the
threads with relevant calculations reach the same conclusion. Its a
lot more convincing than the say so of one person imho.

NT

In Spain PV installations are pretty lucrative, reaping about 55cents
per kWh - about what we are going to cough up. They are so lucrative
in fact that between Nov 2009 and Jan 2010 PV installations earned 2.5
million euros during the hours of darkness by producing 4500 MWh of
electricity between midnight and 7am.

It is clearly worthwhile running a diesel generator along side these
PV plants and occasionally forgetting to switch them off at night!
That 2.5 million must be a fraction of the actual fraud!

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...stigation.html

....I've just had an idea on how to make some money....

Salut

legrandfromage
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 08:58:18 -0700 (PDT), legrandfromage
wrote:

It is clearly worthwhile running a diesel generator along side these
PV plants and occasionally forgetting to switch them off at night!
That 2.5 million must be a fraction of the actual fraud!

You don't need a generator. As you get paid three times what you pay
just connect a battery charger to your mains and connect it's output
to the PV output leads .

For each unit of electricity you have to pay to power the battery
charger you get refunded over twice the amount for the "generated"
energy. Simples.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
[...]

How on earth did they manage to do that?

It is clearly worthwhile running a diesel generator along side these
PV plants and occasionally forgetting to switch them off at night!
That 2.5 million must be a fraction of the actual fraud!

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...stigation.html

...I've just had an idea on how to make some money....

Indeed.

Salut

legrandfromage