Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any boy scouts about? - Lashing

Having had an enormous garden de-foliaging exercise, we have 2 trees that
are rather fun for kids - trunks split off into various directions including
horizontal-ish - great for climbing. Also great for hanging a swing off
either.

I also have some very smooth barked 3" trunk from a 10 year old ash - and it
occurs to me that 2-3 logs cut from this could make a most excellent (and
rustic) swing seat (or two - one for each sprog).

I'd considered just bolting through 2-3 logs mounted in parallel, but for
extra "rusticisim", rope lashing could be a fun idea.

Had a look and I've come across shear lashing, round lashing and (for 3
logs) tripod lashing (done at both ends obviously).

Which one would be a good method of holding the logs like this (end on):

OOO

The actual swing rope would be attached via 4 holes in the corner of the
seat like this:

/ \
OOO

I'd probably use natural rope for its better friction characteristics (knots
not sliding undone).

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

I'd probably use natural rope for its better friction characteristics
(knots not sliding undone).

Dunno about any fink else, but just bought some stuff from
http://www.cheap-rope.co.uk/

Cheap as chips & really know their stuff. Good free advice too.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.cheap-rope.co.uk/

Cheap as chips& really know their stuff. Good free advice too.

Hmmm, I keep hearing about this 'hung parliament' idea. Could this
company supply the necessary?

--
Allegedly C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian C
writes

http://www.cheap-rope.co.uk/

Cheap as chips& really know their stuff. Good free advice too.

Hmmm, I keep hearing about this 'hung parliament' idea. Could this
company supply the necessary?

They certainly have enough rope to DIY

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts :
The actual swing rope would be attached via 4 holes in the corner of the
seat like this:

/ \
OOO

Would you be lashing the three logs to two lighter ones at right angles,
to keep them in one plane (g)? If so, a square lashing is what you
want, though you might find it hard to get the three logs acceptably
close to each other.

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes
wibbled on Tuesday 13 April 2010 07:35

Tim Watts :
The actual swing rope would be attached via 4 holes in the corner of the
seat like this:

/ \
OOO

Would you be lashing the three logs to two lighter ones at right angles,
to keep them in one plane (g)?

That's a good idea - I have thinner ash (from the branches).

If so, a square lashing is what you
want, though you might find it hard to get the three logs acceptably
close to each other.

Touching isn't absolutely necessary - in fact having a gap would probably
help, allowing detritus and rain to fall through rather than getting
trapped.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman
wibbled on Monday 12 April 2010 23:53

Tim Watts wrote:

I'd probably use natural rope for its better friction characteristics
(knots not sliding undone).

Dunno about any fink else, but just bought some stuff from
http://www.cheap-rope.co.uk/

Cheap as chips & really know their stuff. Good free advice too.

Looks most interesting - ta. I could use bungee rope for the drops and add a
new dimension to swinging!

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

I'd probably use natural rope for its better friction characteristics
(knots not sliding undone).

I would worry about it rotting much quicker than you might expect. Look at
a "staple spun" cable laid polyester or polypropylene. Even then expect
deterioration in sunlight.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts
wibbled on Monday 12 April 2010 23:48

[...]

Hi,

It's done, except for some tidying up:

http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/swing/

The diamond lashing of the ash sticks for the seat came out rough as hell,
but surprisingly functional. The "mistake" was to use waxed cotton clothes
line. It smoothish, binds to itself well (despite wax) but is very stiff -
I think that affected my ability to get much neatness there - plus lashing
two sticks that are trying to run away is actually quite hard, especially
when the out two sticks must incorporate the support rope. I should trim
the free ends!

The ash sticks are about 30mm dia and 3 across make for a surprisingly
comfortable seat.

I was rather pleased though with the eye splice in the main rope. Did it
from he

http://www.animatedknots.com/splice/... tedknots.com

Again, need to take of the earth tape and trim the strands back properly.

A simple clove hitch over the branch worked very well and I've left 1/2m
spare rope to allow for re-siting or adjusting.

Interesting issue - the swing does some interesting motions due to unequal
rope lengths - not sure what I could do about that.

Anyway, neatless, or lack of aside, it takes my lardy fat ass quite happy
(ash is *very* tough) and the kids love it, despite the wibbly motion ;-

Apart from 2 d-shackles to make removing the seat easy, not a nail or screw
or any metalwork there. Surprising that even with my numpty boy scout
skills, rope lashing is extremely effective.

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts